Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleriaGalleria  Latest imagesLatest images  SoluriusSolurius  DMoSDMoS  HealersHealers  CourtiersCourtiers  ApplicationsApplications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
« Farewell Banquet Oct 10-13, 2014! «» Write your characters ending! »

Latest topics
» DrachenFyre
Reflecting on the Future IconbFri May 24, 2019 11:52 am by DrachenFyre

» NEW HORIZONS
Reflecting on the Future IconbSat Sep 06, 2014 7:33 pm by LadySheehan

» Kyriah! Demon-Slayer!
Reflecting on the Future IconbFri Sep 05, 2014 12:19 pm by XvXKyriahXvX

» Healer's Training Never Ends
Reflecting on the Future IconbThu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm by LadySheehan

» Dish Network Troubleshooting Second Tv
Reflecting on the Future IconbTue May 14, 2013 1:33 am by Guest

SOLURIUS ROOMS
* Denotes AOL room
All others are AIM
Grand Hall *
The Key & Crown Tavern *
The Peacock & Raven Inn *
Ales 'n Tales Tavern *
Bards and Bannocks Inn *
Gardens
Solurius Ballroom
Joust Arena
Oakley Court Downs
Emerald Cove
Savage Winds
Meldrum Forest
Induction Chamber

Reflecting on the Future

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MichaelDarkrose
Knows what a pen is.

Occupation/Titles : Duke Flos of Terra, DC of the RoC, Chancellor o' th' Exchequer
Humor : ... if you know me, truely, you don't need a whole lot more humor.
Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Reflecting on the Future Empty
PostSubject: Reflecting on the Future   Reflecting on the Future IconbSat Jan 24, 2009 11:06 pm

Michael sat back at his desk in Meren's manor. The last few months had truly been a whirlwind of change even for him. Indeed, ever since he had come to Solurius change had happened with amazing speed and he was not sorry for it. Still, if you want to make the most of the opportunity such rapid change can present, you have to keep a still mind. Michael looked at the journal and started noting under various headings.

"Irons in the Fire"

'First off, I need to square away the starting of the growth in Flos of Terra. The King and Alysia have both shown great trust and faith in me in allowing me to maintain the entirety of the shipbuilding for the Royal Navy. I must keep up the flow of ships I promised to the Admiral. Not just because I promised but because of the shear number of jobs it will provide for the citizens I have been entrusted by his Majesty himself in my Barony. These largely fall into three categories: Farmers, Fishermen, and skilled Laborers. Most Fishermen build their own boats because they cannot afford to purchase them. I can use this... but then where will the fish come from when they take up their new positions in ship-building?

That brings me to my second point. The Bank of Solurius. Royal backing would be very nice for that, because the Royal Bank of Solurius rolls well off the tongue. By offering loans to the fishermen who are already more successful they can afford to purchase the boats of the fishermen who are reconsidering their job choices, and hire men to crew them. I have to *build* the bank of course and prove it's security. Shouldn't be difficult once the ground thaws. Blasted weather!

Speaking of building... I notice the bulk of my Laborers are employed currently by the King for the roads. I can count on immigration once things build up.. but I don't want my farmers and their sons considering new lives in labor when I need them to increase crop production by changing the way they seed their fields and to make fat, happy cows and sheep for the Dragons to purchase.'

Michael leaned back in his chair and sighed. "I need more citizens... how do I draw them in? Hmm... being one of the few Barony's that can sell magic items should gain some attention... and the jobs and dragons paying.. I'll just have to hope I can get some attention from the lands without Barons... hmm.. the Roads. I'll have to get the roads between towns started myself... the Kings road will take too long." He smiled and looked over his page. Good enough for now... stage two could wait. "Oh.. and my own house of course.... a symbol of my presence and a quick safe place to teleport to so I can be there for these people." He nodded and started to write again.
Back to top Go down
MichaelDarkrose
Knows what a pen is.

Occupation/Titles : Duke Flos of Terra, DC of the RoC, Chancellor o' th' Exchequer
Humor : ... if you know me, truely, you don't need a whole lot more humor.
Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Reflecting on the Future Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reflecting on the Future   Reflecting on the Future IconbSat Jan 24, 2009 11:53 pm

"A Family Affair"

'It has been well and truly too long since my family has been this together. Morrigan is home from her bardic school and has been tasked with learning more about the world than her school, so she will not be leaving anytime soon. Diana arrived from her clerical training to see my installment as Baron and fell upon a mystery that strikes to the heart of the Kingdom. Despite these reasons, I am grateful and touched to have my daughters with me again and happy for how their lives are progressing. Both girls are strong and sure of themselves in areas they are passionate about.... as can be anyway. There are challenges.. Diana is worried deeply about Sol and Sunbeam and the pain it has brought the Meldrum family. I know she wishes to help the Prince in his pain and also seems to admire our Queen (cannot blame her). Perhaps because she too had clerical and mystical training. Perhaps because the Queen is just one of the most likable women I've ever met. Morrigan continues to worry me with speaking of her spirits... if they exist, I cannot determine if they are wholly benevolent towards her. They seem determined she mix her bardic skill with the elven art of Bladesinging... a mix of magic and swordplay often used by elven heroes. Why? Does she truly have some dangerous destiny ahead of her or are they just eager to live again *through* my daughter? Either answer chills my heart.'

'Of course there is my love and future wife, Meren. What could I put in writing that would suffice? I have never met a woman like her in my life. Her passions seem to have no connection... blacksmithing... horse breeding and care.. and of course, her work in healing, medicine and surgery. Yet these don't seem overly separate to me. I see a woman who burns brightly with a passion for creation and the preservation of life. Like Diana, she pushes herself more than is wise in the face of adversity.. but I cannot help but respect her for that.. even if it does leave me a little tense and worried some nights. The idea of her becoming ill with what her patients have leave me constantly asking Diana to keep a few potions and spells to forestall or cure disease on hand. Would I ask her to stop ? No. It is part of who Meren is, and it is as enchanting as the rest of her. Nothing is more important to Meren than life.. be it saving the life of a sick or injured person, aiding a mare in childbirth, addressing the needs of her Duchy (at least I can help by taking the bulk of Flos de Terra's issues!).. or even the simple way she cares for her staff, especially the heads of her staff, Hobbie and Elsbeth.. who are practically her parents in spirit. There is truly love there. Then there are her adopted children, Kevin and Odette. Seeing them together does my heart well, for sure is truly a concerned Mother. I look forward to the day we have our own.... after the wedding to be sure. '

'Towards that, Meren has taken a deep interest in our newest staff hire, an urchin from London named Jack... though he grew up for years on the streets calling himself Rat. Jack makes me laugh and wince at the same time. He clearly learned survival on the edge of death.. he hoards food, he refuses to speak much of his mother, and he speaks of his father only in the vague idea. A half-elf with black hair and gray eyes... he could easily pass as mine. He's not.. but our similar childhoods do strike a chord with me. Meren has noticed it too, and she's unofficially adopted Jack... she would do so officially I think.. and may yet.. but he is new to the house, and so rapidly elevating him would be sure to injure feelings among the staff. We shall see.. until then, he is constantly near one of us... as much to help as to let us keep an eye on him. '
Back to top Go down

Reflecting on the Future
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: CHARACTER JOURNALS (IC) :: MICHAEL'S CONTEMPLATIONS-
Jump to: