Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleriaGalleria  Latest imagesLatest images  SoluriusSolurius  DMoSDMoS  HealersHealers  CourtiersCourtiers  ApplicationsApplications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
« Farewell Banquet Oct 10-13, 2014! «» Write your characters ending! »

Latest topics
» DrachenFyre
To protect the citizens IconbFri May 24, 2019 11:52 am by DrachenFyre

» NEW HORIZONS
To protect the citizens IconbSat Sep 06, 2014 7:33 pm by LadySheehan

» Kyriah! Demon-Slayer!
To protect the citizens IconbFri Sep 05, 2014 12:19 pm by XvXKyriahXvX

» Healer's Training Never Ends
To protect the citizens IconbThu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm by LadySheehan

» Dish Network Troubleshooting Second Tv
To protect the citizens IconbTue May 14, 2013 1:33 am by Guest

SOLURIUS ROOMS
* Denotes AOL room
All others are AIM
Grand Hall *
The Key & Crown Tavern *
The Peacock & Raven Inn *
Ales 'n Tales Tavern *
Bards and Bannocks Inn *
Gardens
Solurius Ballroom
Joust Arena
Oakley Court Downs
Emerald Cove
Savage Winds
Meldrum Forest
Induction Chamber

To protect the citizens

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Byron Meldrum 3
Story Book Author
Byron Meldrum 3

Occupation/Titles : Being King
Humor : Heh, being King
Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2007-09-25

To protect the citizens Empty
PostSubject: Re: To protect the citizens   To protect the citizens IconbThu Jan 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Today I must have hauled nearly a ton of bags of the new formula cement into my workshop. There's a bit of sand and the burlap bags filled with the new compound. Water, or more precisely, the exact amount of it, is the key to this. Too much and it will weaken the walls, too much and it will flake and fall apart. I've learned that much with my experiments. That wall that crumbled to dust, that was disheartening. It needs to be strong enough to hold tons of waste product until it breaks down but flexible enough to withstand the frost heaves of spring and winter. Perhaps I'll speak with the royal blacksmith about some flat steel stock to reinforce it. Maybe an X?
Back to top Go down
http://castleofthemoors.com/
Byron Meldrum 3
Story Book Author
Byron Meldrum 3

PostSubject: Re: To protect the citizens   To protect the citizens IconbWed Dec 30, 2009 9:55 pm

I spent the day recovering from the ordeal with Caillie and Aly. But to relax I started experimenting with cement formulas. I've contracted a company from the south to produce the gypsum for the cement compounds I am looking for. It takes crushed stone and sand to make up the cement but I've been working on the formula and I think I've got it. I'll know with the first shipment.
Back to top Go down
Byron Meldrum 3
Story Book Author
Byron Meldrum 3

PostSubject: Re: To protect the citizens   To protect the citizens IconbMon Dec 28, 2009 10:32 pm

My research had turned up a number of methods to construct the chambers he wanted. The problem was making it cost effective to build a system in every town. Putting people to work was one thing, we had to have an aggragate that would withstand time and the constant flow of water and waste through it. There had to be drainage yet keep the waste from entering the drinking supply.

After several months of experimenting, I've hit upon the combination of materials to make this happen. The Egyptians used calcium carbonate and gypsum for a formula to make cement. I tried it and it seemed to take too long to dry. I mixed it with crushed rocks from the main quarry and some sand from the beaches.

It still wasn't what I was looking for so I tried a process the Greeks and Romans used. Calcium carbonate and limestone. This process worked much better and allowed for drainage holes yet still allowed the waste to be contained. Cement is the key to making this work but I still want heavy rocks in it to make sure it's strong enough. There had to be a reason why it's not been used since Rome collapsed.
Back to top Go down
MichaelDarkrose
Knows what a pen is.

Occupation/Titles : Duke Flos of Terra, DC of the RoC, Chancellor o' th' Exchequer
Humor : ... if you know me, truely, you don't need a whole lot more humor.
Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2008-10-15

PostSubject: Re: To protect the citizens   To protect the citizens IconbMon Dec 28, 2009 8:32 pm

((A Grand idea Sire! This would improve the general cleanliness of the streets and greatly reduce the risk of Cholera and Diarrhea among the citizens especially in the summer!))
Back to top Go down
LadySheehan
Knows what a pen is.
LadySheehan

ME : Born Aisling Marie Sheehan, in Land's End Scotland to a prominent family. Highly educated in the fields of higher learning.

Spirit guided to Solurius to study under the well-known leadership of the Royal Order of Healers, under it's commander, Healer Elyas. Through test and trial, was granted elemental healing powers by the light.

Married First Knight Sir Aiden Reinhart, then through the sudden departure of Elyas, became the Commander of Healers in Solurius.

Against the law of nature, Ash and Aiden became parents of twins, Kyriah (Baroness SeaCrest) and Caliban (Deceased). Later they were blessed with a third child Jonathan.

Aisling hosts a phoenix, given to her by her angelic husband, giving her extreme healing when transformed into the firebird.

Aiden and Kyriah went on a quest to destroy a powerful Dark Lord that plagued and endangered their family. Kyriah returned with little memory of the quest, but her father has yet to return. Ash and Kyriah await with hopeful hearts.

Aisling now leads the healer's in an effort to keep good health in the lands, watches over her daughter and grandchild, and prays everynight for her husband's return.

Location : Royal Castle - Healer's Tower - Kingdom of Solurius
Occupation/Titles : Royal Healer - Division Commander - Duchess - Host to a Phoenix
Humor : If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one to hear it does a bear still ...oh wait...nevermind
Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2007-09-28

PostSubject: Re: To protect the citizens   To protect the citizens IconbMon Dec 28, 2009 12:47 pm

((What a novel idea. ::winks::Smile)
Back to top Go down
Byron Meldrum 3
Story Book Author
Byron Meldrum 3

PostSubject: To protect the citizens   To protect the citizens IconbMon Dec 28, 2009 12:45 am

Mel had been working on a plan that would save lives withiin the realm. Aside from the many roads, which were still being constructed, the biggest problem was the sewage system with the realm. The castle would be the first to try this new system. Flushing toilets would be utilized as had been done in Crete as far back as 1500 bc. Running water from the many rivers and streams would run through channels built into the castle to each garterobe. But until now it had run back off into the streams. This could not be tolerated any longer.

Mel had designs for chambers built into the lands outside the castle, much like a cistern, which had been also built to catch rains and overflow of the rivers. These chambers would take the waste, break it down and drain clear waters into the ground. Not perfect but still, much better than what we have had thus far.

It would be implemented as soon as the last snows left the land and frozen ground became more pliable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To protect the citizens   To protect the citizens Iconb

Back to top Go down

To protect the citizens
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: CHARACTER JOURNALS (IC) :: MELS MUSINGS-
Jump to: