Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleriaGalleria  Latest imagesLatest images  SoluriusSolurius  DMoSDMoS  HealersHealers  CourtiersCourtiers  ApplicationsApplications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
« Farewell Banquet Oct 10-13, 2014! «» Write your characters ending! »

Latest topics
» DrachenFyre
A New Knight in the Realm IconbFri May 24, 2019 11:52 am by DrachenFyre

» NEW HORIZONS
A New Knight in the Realm IconbSat Sep 06, 2014 7:33 pm by LadySheehan

» Kyriah! Demon-Slayer!
A New Knight in the Realm IconbFri Sep 05, 2014 12:19 pm by XvXKyriahXvX

» Healer's Training Never Ends
A New Knight in the Realm IconbThu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm by LadySheehan

» Dish Network Troubleshooting Second Tv
A New Knight in the Realm IconbTue May 14, 2013 1:33 am by Guest

SOLURIUS ROOMS
* Denotes AOL room
All others are AIM
Grand Hall *
The Key & Crown Tavern *
The Peacock & Raven Inn *
Ales 'n Tales Tavern *
Bards and Bannocks Inn *
Gardens
Solurius Ballroom
Joust Arena
Oakley Court Downs
Emerald Cove
Savage Winds
Meldrum Forest
Induction Chamber

A New Knight in the Realm

Go down 
AuthorMessage

A New Knight in the Realm Empty
PostSubject: A New Knight in the Realm   A New Knight in the Realm IconbTue Apr 13, 2010 11:25 am

The Knight, now as far off in body as in spirit from his home soil of England, had entered into the realm of Solurius, and through the gates of Meldrum City itself.
No longer inhibited by his helmet, his half-shaven face felt the cool of the evening against his skin, as watchful eyes surveyed the crenulated wall-tops and towers surrounding him, and those he passed on the back of his Destrier, Bolde.
Some he hailed with a nod of humility or a weary smile, still others he implored to point out the way to a tavern where he might refresh himself and take repast. Thus it was, that Stephen secured the reins of his mount, and the Palfrey and Sumpter horse that followed and entered through the doors with strides that told something of his tiredness as he surpassed the threshold.
To those who regarded him, he was scarcely a man of twenty summers, fully clad in armor that seemed in need of a squire's service, with a peace-bound broadsword sheathed at his hip, and a countenance of calm and openness as he studied the interior of the tap-room, and whomsoever settled therein.
A calloused hand smoothed his short-cropped hair, standing somewhat on end, in an effort to make himself more presentable and addressed a polite salutation with a smile broadening on a boldly handsome face.

::The raven-haired gypsy turned her brilliant eyes upon the man as he entered the tavern. A smile suddenly lit her features, and she lifted to her feet, a soft chiming of bells accompanying the movement. Her pale blue gown hid the extent of her tattooing, though a brief glimpse of the colorful inks twined around her shoulder just beyond the cover of her sleeve.:: Good evening, sir. ::She said in a musical, lilting tone, her accent prominent.:: Welcome to The Key and Crown...what can I get for you? ::She asked warmly.::

"Good evening, and God save you, gentlewoman." He intoned, as he lowered his head with politeness and propriety, before he would ask with an arching brow. "Are you the mistress of this establishment?"

::She grinned, just a brief flash of white amidst her full, ruby lips, a hand lifting to smooth the wild curls that were held back by silver combs.:: No, I am not, I am afraid. And I do not have the skill of the
dear lady who does own this place, but I can perhaps get something that will allay your thirst.
::She let her eyes drift over the gentleman for a moment, she was wary of strangers these days, though nothing in her expression would reveal her caution. She took in the peace-bound sword at his side, the armor
he wore that looked like it needed a good tending. and she canted her head slightly to the side, her emerald eyes watchful of his face as she waited for his answer.::

The Knight's stance relaxed slightly, though he stood tall and straight of steely limb. He studied her, though took care not to stare as he considered her courtly raiment and cheerful disposition and welcoming words. His smile warmed, for it had been some time since he conversed with a lady of such character, slowly nodding his understanding as he said, "Then, by your leave, my lady, I would beg your pardon, for lady I take you to be, but I thank you for the offer of succor. A bit of ale or beer to moisten my
lips, and a crust of bread, if it be of convenience. I have coin with which to pay, if you'll tell me the sum."

::She laughed merrily, as he guessed rightly, though she often found it difficult to believe herself.:: Very well. ::She replied, and spun about with the music of the bells chiming at each step as she gathered a tankard and filled it to brimming with the ale brewed on her husband's lands, then slipped away into the kitchen to find a bit of bread for the knight.::
::She returned after only a moment, a small loaf of fresh baked bread upon a plate, arranged with a few slices of cheese and a small crock of butter upon a tray, and arranged it and the tankard on the bar before him.:: Tell me your name and from where you hail, and I will buy your bread and ale. ::She said with a musical laugh, her bright eyes dancing with amusement at her clever little rhyme::
::She couldn't help it, she enjoyed a good tale, and this man seemed to have one to tell. She would glad pay the few copper to hear it.::

Stephen took a steady step toward the surface where she laid the tray of offerings. He leveled his eyes upon them for a moment, his stomach audibly snarling beneath mail and breastplate, before he lifted his gaze with warmth and humor at her words, replying, "Your pardon I implore, my lady! I am remiss!" he said with some measure of embarrassment, before he redressed, "Sir Stephen Drawespere of England, at your service."

::She inclined her dark head in a gracious bow, a smile lightly curving her lips then.:: It is a pleasure to meet you, good Sir. ::Her accent became more pronounced it seemed when she was pleased or upset, the former being the case at the moment.:: Luludja Stum. ::She said in introduction, as she placed the coin for his scant meal in the till for Morrigan.::

Before the Knight would lift so much as a crust of bread, a cut of cheese, or imbibe of the frothy brew, he lowered his head humbly and crossed himself piously, softly thanking God for his graciousness and providence among these seemingly good people. "I am indebted to you, Lady Stum" The bread was taken and broken between his fingers and he ate of it slowly, pausing only to sate his thirst and chew upon a portion of cheese.

::Her head tilted gently to the side as she observed the man in prayer. It was not often she saw men breaking bread in such a fashion, particularly in a tavern, aside from her husband and the Templar who had come through a few weeks previous. She regarded him for a few moments, considering the other man, the one who had called their queen a heathen, and she shuddered almost imperceptibly.:: You are a man of faith...::she idly commented, then questioned, perhaps a bit more sharply than she intended.:: What brings you to Solurius?

As Stephen thoughtfully took nourishment, he considered her spoken words, his brow arching curiously at the sudden acuteness in her inquiry. Suspicion hung heavily in his senses, but he answered with implacable politeness and tolerance. "I am a man of faith, but must atone for my sins as any other, I shamefully confess. I have come to your realm while providing safe passage to merchant-men who would trade in your markets."

::She considered his words carefully, taking in their meaning, and then she slowly inclined her head, the faint hint of a smile forming.:: Solurius is a land of many faiths and peoples. As you can see. ::She said with a small laugh motioning to herself, where most of the residents he might have passed were fair, she was quite dark and small in comparison.::
::A thought occurred to her and she suddenly brightened, if he was a man of noble intention, it would be best seen if he met the nobility of the land.:: The King and Queen of this land are holding court this evening.
Perhaps you should attend and make presence here known to them.

An affable smile found the Knight's features as he made reply in a meaningful tone. "Am I to set myself higher than Christ, who accepted even beggars and thieves into the Kingdom of Heaven?" He then finished the food that the good woman's charity and sense of sport had earned him, and acknowledged the words she shared with solemnity. "I thank you, Lady Stum, for it was my first intention upon entering these lands." He then asked, "I ask your favor once more, my lady, if accommodations may be had, and stabling for three horses?"

I am sure that The Key and Crown can accommodate your needs, Sir Stephen. ::She said with a friendly smile, and motioned toward the stairs that led up to the guest rooms.:: There are rooms above where you can refresh yourself and a stable at hand for your horses. ::His answer to her comment had put her more at ease, and she leaned lightly against the bar as she reached for her glass, still half-full of whiskey, bringing it to her lips.::

"God is gracious," he said, with smiling approval, before he laid a hand upon his armored breast and bowed his head with Knightly humility. "I pray that I shall one day be able to repay your charity and courtesy for the refreshment your coin was spent upon, Lady Stum of Solurius. May God bless and keep you, and your family."
"By your leave," he stated, standing straight and nobly, though his youthful face showed weariness that did not match his years.

::She smiled at him, bowing her head lightly.:: And may His light shine upon you, Sir Stephen. But worry not over repayment of such a small thing. ::She lifted her glass then and gave him a small nod.:: Of course, Sir. I look forward to seeing you at court.

"Farewell." he said. Then, Stephen turned upon his booted heels and strode with assertion and intent toward the door to see to the stabling of his horses, before he would retire to a room to make ready for the proceedings of the court, and his introduction. His mind set as steadfastly as his features.
Back to top Go down

A New Knight in the Realm
Page 1 of 1