Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleriaGalleria  Latest imagesLatest images  SoluriusSolurius  DMoSDMoS  HealersHealers  CourtiersCourtiers  ApplicationsApplications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
« Farewell Banquet Oct 10-13, 2014! «» Write your characters ending! »

Latest topics
» DrachenFyre
Sins of the Father IconbFri May 24, 2019 11:52 am by DrachenFyre

» NEW HORIZONS
Sins of the Father IconbSat Sep 06, 2014 7:33 pm by LadySheehan

» Kyriah! Demon-Slayer!
Sins of the Father IconbFri Sep 05, 2014 12:19 pm by XvXKyriahXvX

» Healer's Training Never Ends
Sins of the Father IconbThu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm by LadySheehan

» Dish Network Troubleshooting Second Tv
Sins of the Father IconbTue May 14, 2013 1:33 am by Guest

SOLURIUS ROOMS
* Denotes AOL room
All others are AIM
Grand Hall *
The Key & Crown Tavern *
The Peacock & Raven Inn *
Ales 'n Tales Tavern *
Bards and Bannocks Inn *
Gardens
Solurius Ballroom
Joust Arena
Oakley Court Downs
Emerald Cove
Savage Winds
Meldrum Forest
Induction Chamber

Sins of the Father

Go down 
+3
XvXKyriahXvX
meren anwa
celstarra
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
celstarra

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-02-08

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbTue Feb 08, 2011 8:23 pm

She was on land once again. Celstarra had come off that accursed boat as quickly as she could without looking weak, and spent most of the day in customs. The damnable customs officer actually charged her a luxury tax on her fur cloak and her small pots of potions! If she had known teleportation magics it would have saved her the trouble, but not the satisfaction of knowing the Captain of the vessel she traveled on would have nightmares for a week...or that the customs officer would mysteriously come down with boils on the morrow. So now she was here, in the land where supposedly her prey was...she had chased it for a long time, ever since learning of her Father's death.

This land was infested with humans, though she saw a few other races living and working amongst them. Her sources had given her information that she could hardly believe, that her prey had ingratiated it self to the local nobility and actually pretended to be one of them. How dare it.

She hesitated to call it “he”, though she knew biologically
it was male. It was a mistake, and it had made a mistake in killing her Father.
There were only a few things she needed to make good on her promise to her
Father’s spirit; proximity, and a chance.

For now she needed to find a place to stay, and plan.
Back to top Go down
meren anwa
Article Enhancer
meren anwa

Location : Solurius, Meldrum City, Clef de Coeurs, Flos de Terra, just to name a few.
Occupation/Titles : Wife, mother, lover, friend. A true woman of the Moors.
Humor : Alumnus of the SASR University (SmartAssedSnarkyRemark) Goes for the obvious joke and jugular.
Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2007-09-25

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Captured Prey   Sins of the Father IconbTue Feb 08, 2011 9:20 pm

“No. No. That’s stupid. I need something better!” Morrigan said irritably, walking back and forth.

Into the tavern strode the lanky, dusky young knight of Zakarum, midnight blue cloak hanging over his dark chain mail, sharkskin belt holding his sword at his side, the silver starburst across his chest mirrored by the smaller one hanging from around his neck…eyes the color of storm clouds peered about from beneath his bull-horn topped helm as he moved further into the common room. Celstarra strolled in like she owned the place, her head high and not bothering to at those here beneath her. She stepped in front of the boy in chain mail, a look of disdain flashed at him.

Meren put the tray down on the table. “I am not an invalid…sheesh, come on. I do not sit on my arse and issue orders to underlings all night and day.” Fussing at the Keys helper. She looked up to see Tolroze and smiled. “Now there is a friendly face.”

Tolroze offered a small smile in return to Meren. “A good evening to you.”

Celstarra takes off her cloak and drops it on a chair. She wore riding leathers beneath a green silk tunic, a short sword at her right hip, a row of wands in little leathern holders at her left. Morrigan was pacing…in a mood…looking stressed. None of the helpers were going near her. Hell, they were all new hires. She saw the new woman, and paused, putting on her best face. “Welcome to the Key and Crown, part of the High Street Market in Meldrum City of Solurius. What can I get you?”

“Are you the owner?” Brusquely asked. The way Celstarra termed it made ‘owner’ sound worse than what was on her shoe. The elven youth just raised an eyebrow. “Yes. I’m the tendress and owner. Morrigan Darkrose.”

Celstarra studied the girl before dropping a pouch of coin on the table. “I need a room, indefinitely, meal once a day and bath, and *no* questions.” Setting herself down in a chair she turned to survey the room, her blond hair parting to show elven ears. Morrigan looked over the coin, mentally calculating the amount and how long the coin would last at her rates. Celstarra watched Morrigan, and a smirk. “There is more where that came from, don’t worry.”

Off to one side, Meren and Tolroze were speaking quietly. “How are things at home, Tolroze?” Meren excused herself to at least sit down as he shrugged slightly, removing his cloak as he sat down nearby as well. “Well enough…what of your home?”

“Chaos as usual. Drittens flying all over the place. Crazy Italian painters sneaking around drawing people.” She chuckled and offered him some of her tea. “I see.” He arched an eyebrow in the direction of the heavens.

“Speaking of drittens…has yours…done something…special yet?” Meren asked, not wanting to startle the Knight.

“I’ll get you a key. You may want no questions, but it’d be helpful to know what you desire to drink.” Morrigan said pleasantly. Celstarra snorted. “Wine, dry, something that has not been watered downfor human tastes.” Morrigan just nodded. “We cater to all kinds here. We have a full selection of wines.” She walked to the back. Celstarra waved a hand to send her on the way, and pulled out a bit of parchment many times folded, opening it up.

Not far behind the young Zakarumite came a large figure, over two meters tall and decidedly reptilian in nature, covered in scales like aged copper where his leather battle harness didn’t cover, slitted eyes of venomously bright green flickering their gaze around as his dark, forked tongue tested the air, leathery wings folded at his back, rapier and several daggers hanging at his side…he offered a broad smile to Meren and Morrigan as he saw them, moving over to settle into a seat near Tolroze. Mist gathered behind Meren as she sat…lapping at her shins…gathering near her. Meren was about to greet the well armed fellow when a smile came to her lips. Tolroze nodded to the Kapak draconian, then looked back to Meren, brow furrowing slightly. “Special? What do you mean?”

Celstarra felt the change in the room, and her gaze sharpened as she swiveled her head quickly to look at the creature who entered. Morrigan smiled as she returned with a bottle and glass of strong elven wine. She waved to Holak and nodded to Tolroze. “I see some ales coming up…”

“Greetings good sir. “ Meren smiled at Holak, though was a bit sad not seeing his lovely other half.

“Evening”. He smiled and then nodded to Morrigan. “Oh, that sounds good.”

Michael appeared behind Meren as the mists parted, leaning down to kiss her neck softly. Tolroze smiled faintly at seeing Michael arrive so abruptly. Meren’s hand came up to caress his cheek. “Hello handsome…nice to see ya again.” The conversation with Tolroze would have to wait for a bit, but she would get back to him.

Morrigan put the bottle down, nodded politely to the woman. “Here you are, Ma’am.” Celstarra managed to hide her distaste at the display, and looks at Morrigan. “Thank you, child.” Celstarra goes back to perusing her parchment, absently fingering her wands, the wine close by.

Michael just smiled, putting his hand on hers. “Good to see you too…I was surprised to know you went out to the Keys, but on the other hand, I’m glad you’re here.”

“How are you Holak? On duty in the city tonight?” Meren’s fingers clasping Michaels. “Sit with me then.” Michael was more than happy to sit next to Meren. He did politely nod to the elven blond though. “New faces about, I see”. Celstarra happened to look at Michael as he spoke, her look blank, giving no hint, before returning to her paper.

The draconian nodded. “Uhuh…me and Tolroze came in to patrol around some, figured we’d stop by in here afterwards.”

Morrigan went out to get her Zakaramite special. Two ales, both in large tankards, and hot trenchers of food. Today was venison. As the food and ale arrived, Holak proceeded to declare war on it, with no prisoners taken. Tolroze offered a small smile as he bowed his head in thanks to Morrigan, placing coins on the counter before starting on his food as well. Meren thought it was nice to see the frigid weather had not diminished the draco’s appetite. Morrigan took the coins with a nod of thanks, before going over to her parents. “Can I get you anything, Mother? Father?”

“Mmm, maybe an ale, love. I’m not hungry though, thanks.” Michael kissed Meren’s hand, the back of it. She leaned in against Michael’s shoulder. “If you would stop eating things off my plate so Elspeth doesn’t notice that I’m not…you might have an appetite.”

“True, but then you’d be in trouble with Elspeth. ‘He stroked her hair as she leaned in. “So how goes the patrol, Holak? Last I heard, all was peaceful.” When his tailor has to let out all his clothes, he will be in trouble with Elspeth.

The Kapak nodded, devouring a hunk of venison. “Yep, all quiet tonight…colder than I like, but then, it’s been that way since winter got here…”

“I hear that. Bloody weather. “ Michael frowned. “Ahh, but next week is a great holiday.”

“Oh yeah?” The draco seemed interested…course, this land seemed to have holidays all the time. Meren’s mind was not on the holidays, so she looked to Michael. “Which one?”

Michael looked at her disbelievingly. “Valentine’s Day??” Meren smiled with a big blush. “Oops, I guess I lost track of time…” Other things were in the front of her mind lately. Michael knew it was most likely her child. He kissed her. “Well, hopefully you can spend the day in romance, not labor.”

Meren poked Michael lightly. “Who knows, we could celebrate it with our newest daughter.” She was sticking to her guns about that. Michael nodded. “That could be.”

Celstarra muttered a curse. “Gyashe ta ((Damn it)). It has to be here.”

Morri stiffened a bit at her father’s words, decided to be interested in her new guest. “Can I get you aught else? Food? Information? Help? I’m rather familiar with the city.”

Celstarra looked over the girl a moment, then nodded. “Perhaps you can be of use. I’m looking for someone. I’ve chased him across several lands and rumors say it’s here.”

“Well, yes. It’s very likely I can help you in fact. I see a lot of people.”

Celstarra chuckled, though the sound was chilling. “Yes, I’m sure you do. It was my father’s property.”

[size=12]“He stole it?”

“He, though I hesitate to call the ulund ((creature)) that, killed my father and ran. I’ve come to extract punishment.” She smiled at Morri’s question, though it was a cold one. “You could say that.”

Morrigan questioned. “I’m missing the part on your Father’s property.”

“The ulund took my father’s life, when he had centuries left to live.”

Michael gave Meren a teasing smile. “You’re sure you want an Elven name? I’m just curious.” She was dead sure on a lot of things. Elves…until Michael…she wasn’t. She learned to judge each one on their own merit. To date, other than the children, only two held her respect…Michael and BJ. He smiled. “How about Cladeth?”

Meren raised a brow. “What about it?”

Michael “As a name. Cladeth Darkrose. Cladeth means Rose Eternal.”

Morrigan. “I’m sorry for you loss…that is tragic. Well, can I see a likeness? Have a name?”
Clestarra shrugged. “I do not know what it calls itself here. When father controlled him…it…he was just called Ulund. Creature.”

“Well, can you describe him?”

Celstarra. “The last I saw it, it was a mere child, small, slight. Blue eyes and the strangest hair. It’s Lachenn ((Deep-elf)) father’s curse for him. So sad, it’s naneth ((mother)) was a good elf-woman.”

Meren smirked at him. “We agreed that each baby would get a name next in line of the alphabet..hers is B”

Michael. “Okay, okay…heh…female elven names with B…. Besonna? Means Oath Keeper. So, you know. Honest.”

Meren sighed. “We could name her for your father…sort of.” Adam was just so easy.

Human names were easy, in general. Beth. Bethanny, Bastula, Beka…”Besil is Oath Giver…I dunno.”

This woman was starting to irk Meren. Talking about a child as if it were something to be kicked aside. Morrigan too, but she felt a drawing feeling of dread in her gut…the spirits whispering in her ear.

Morrigan. “If I may…did your father not just use magic on this dark thief? I mean…surely I can tell your bloodline is strong among our people.”

Celstarra. “After her death, Father did try to keep it out of trouble, but perhaps you understand how it is. It was resistant to spellcasting, though Father was able to lay a few on it.” Studies Morrigan. “Are you in study, child?”

“Yes, I’m training to be a bard.” Also a sword dancer..but damned if she’d say that now. Celstarra quirked a brow. “And more, I should say. You’ve learned some sword play.”

“A little. But of course. After all, I’m running a tavern and inn at sixteen. My father is not so negligent that he would leave me no education to defend my honor from low, and rough men…sense of decorum dulled by drink.

Celstarra gave her a new look of appraisal. “Sixteen…you’ve quite a long time ahead of you.”

Morrigan. “Longer if I keep up with my sword practice. So you’re looking for a spell resistant half drow betrayer?”

Celstarra gave her a sly smile, and quiet applause. “That about sums it up. Yes.”

Morrigan narrowed her eyes, her features going hard with hate. Her whole body seemed to tremble, and her voice became cold. “So then we have something in common, it seems. I know someone who fits that description.”

Celstarra. “You do? How wonderful for me, child. Where might I find it so I can see if it is the true murderer of my Father?”

Morrigan. “I would love to know…the dastard betrayed my father…stabbed him clean through the heart! Had a cleric not been on hand, I’d be an orphan now! Damn him! The sneaking, feckless jukette fled for the docks!”

Meren overheard part of this and if she could turn, she would. What the hell were they talking about? Celstarra quirked her brow, and her voice went soft. “Nice try, young one.” She leaned forward a bit. “I *will* find him…and when I do, my Father’s death will be answered. You have my word on that.”

“No. It won’t.” Morrigan put her hand on the other woman’s…her eyes went odd…silvery, they looked like twin moons. “You will strike deep…but not deep enough…the sins of the father poison the daughter…but poison will not kill the child of shadows and light. You will face your destiny in his legacy.” Morrigan’s voice is low…slithery. Ancient…it sounds like an old woman talking.

Celstarra snatched her hand back, hissing. “Yrch!” ((Bloody hell!)) She reached for a wand, it clearing half from its holster before changing her mind, and slides the birchwood back into its holder.

Michael still debated names with Meren, his one hand hanging down, looking resigned. He looked at ease, ignoring the two elven women. She spoke, ‘I really did have my heart set on something Elven…but I suppose I shall have to search other options.” She was blissfully unaware of the possible nightmare behind her.

Michael. “Well…we can discuss some different terms, but, um, most likely you’ll have to give on Elven, or on B…” There was about to be a fight. This had been mutually agreed on before their first child was named. In order. Damn it. “…or…we can work with about…um…six first name segments. I’m sure we can find something we like.”

Celstarra. “Prophecy can be changed, sell. ((girl))

Morrigan. “Amin feuya ten’ll, ‘Ksher.” ((You disgust me, evil one.)) The voice was the same, but she switched to common, flicking her hand out, fingers curled spider-like before turning her palm up and curling her fingers in. “You have the skin of an elf, but the heart of a drow.”

Celstarra. “Thaur sell. ((Abominable girl)) I will find what I seek and it will pay the price.” She flinched as if struck, then straightened, and a sneer. “Run to your so-called friend and warn him, little girl, that I will be coming. I will only follow to find my prey.”

Morrigan. “Not at all. I couldn’t do that. I may hate you, but I will not lead you faster to your slaughter. After all…you are young yet. You have long you may live. You may even soften your dead heart.” A soft, innocent smile from Morrigan. “But, I doubt it.”

Meren smirked. Her old stubborn self still there. Even though her ears were focused on her daughter and that big-mouthed bitch. Michael offered a suggestion. “Branneth?”

Meren’s brows went up. “Hmm?”

“Branneth. Means High Lady.”

“I think I should sleep on it. “ Somehow this was not working out.

Celstarra chuckled softly, full of menace. “I am older than I look.” She was just shy of two centuries, and looked in her twenties. Morrigan looked her over. “Somehow, I doubt that. You look like a woman in the prime of her five hundreds.”

Celstarra smirked. “Now you are stooping low, child.”

“How else can I meet you at your moral base, drowheart? Prophecy can be changed, you’re right. But you are not clever enough to do it. You’re blinded by hate, seeing evil where there is desperation…and good where there is evil.” Celstarra smiled slightly, mentally marking the child as she continued to speak. “And come at me…and nothing on this earth will help you.”

She waved a hand, dismissing the child, and gathers her parchment. “I will be having my key now, *Innkeep*.”

Morrigan tossed her the coin pouch, after taking out money for the wine. No free rides. “Go, get out of here. Try the Ales and Tales.”

Celstarra smirked, but gathered her belongings, taking her pouch back. She would not be going there, too close to those accursed docks, but she had heard the Castle gave rooms to weary travelers in need.

(Posted for Celstarra)

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

[/size]

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}
Back to top Go down
celstarra

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Patience   Sins of the Father IconbFri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

The Watch was seeking her. She cursed softly, that damned nuisance of a half-breed had wormed his way into the graces of the Royals here. Humans...they didn't seem to understand that strength came from purity of the blood. She had seen humans mixing with elves, and even other races, *lower* races. Even the elves had spoken to the lower races as equals. It was horrid, what went on here, but she would soon take care of her prey, and be able to close this chapter in her life and move on. Celstarra looked around the cramped quarters she had obtained. The bed had been infested with something, bu a blast of frost had destroyed them all. Disgusting, the little bloodsuckers.

She conjured magelight, bright enough for her to see by, and set about her preparations. The Ulund would be guarded now, she was sure of it. That dark-haired elf would make certain of it, she knew. It seems her prey had made friends here she would need to watch out for. All she would need was but a moment. Her pots of potions were set before her, and she carefully opened each one. A jar of spider venom, oily and slick. A small bottle of morning glory decoction from seeds she had picked herself, ground and steeped, then boiled down to a syrupy residue. She had found an apothacaire in the City who specialized in some of the more common exotics, and from him purchased Datura and Belladonna...for personal use, she had told him. These four things she poured into a shallow tray, mixing them together to form a sticky concoction. From her baggage she pulled an object wrapped in silk, a stingray spine the width of two fingers, tapering to a point so sharp it disappeared. She steeped the makeshift blade in the mix of poisons, coating it thoroughly several times, allowing each layer to dry before applying the next. With her own hair, and a whispered incantation she bound the spine to a short round tube of metal to make a hilt. Lightweight, easily concealed...it was perfect. Now all she had to do was find her prey.

She had caught sight of him at Court, but she had not been ready then, with that damnable woman chasing her with a dozen guards. But he did go to Court, which mean he was in the City at least once a week. She had chased him for nearly ten years, she knew how to be patient. A few more days to wait were nothing.
Back to top Go down
celstarra

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbFri Feb 11, 2011 5:55 pm

((make that the width of one finger. nice little stiletto.))
Back to top Go down
celstarra

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbFri Feb 11, 2011 9:13 pm

((Editor's Note: A short botany/biology lesson. If you wish you may skip this, but it will help you understand the workings of the poisons Celstarra is using.

Spider venom causes a multitude of symptoms, dependent on the spider, Nausea, vomiting, headache, abdominal cramping, paralysis, and priapism (and boys, if I have to tell you what that is, we have a problem, go look it up. Wink )

Morning Glory, or specifically Heavenly Morning Glory, Ipomoea violacea, is a twining perennial with clusters of blue to purple flowers. Sometimes it has white flowers. The leaves are heart-shaped. It's native to the tropical Americas, and so in this time period quite exotic. The seeds of the plant contain an alkaloid quite similar in nature to d-lysergic and d-isolysergic acids (LSD Folks!). Such alkaloids can create either ecstacy, terror, or a combination of both during the altered mental status and hallucinations it creates.

Datura and Belladonna are both genus members of the family Solanacea. (Remember Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species?) As such they have similar reactions.
Datura stramonium is also known in the US as Jimsonweed, in other areas as Thorn-apple and other names. It's an annual, often considered a weed. The plant is tall, stout, smooth, with a green to purple stem and the fruit is egg-shaped with spiny processes all around it. The flowers are trumpet shaped, often white to violet. The juices of the plant are poisonous, and the source of the alkaloid atropine and hyoscyamine. They can cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, thirst, dry/burning sensation to skin, mental confusion, mania, memory loss, convulsions, and death.

Solanacea dulcamara is known as bittersweet or woody nightshade, and is found in the US and England. The foliage as well as the egg-shaped berries that are red are poisonous. The active alkaloid in this is Solanine. Symptoms include flushing of the face, cyanosis (blueness) around the mouth and fingertips from lack of oxygen, dry/burning sensation to mucous membranes, trouble swallowing, slurred speech, coma, convulsions/seizures, and death. This combination of symptoms is what is called anticholinergic syndrome. The mnemonic for this is "red as a beet, dry as a bone, blind as a bat, mad as a hatter, hot as a hare". So, flushing, dry skin/mouth/throat/mucous membranes, dilation of the pupils, mental status changes/altered level of consciousness, and fever/hyperthermia.

Stingray spines...both Stingrays and other rays like Eagle and Manta rays have spines. The largest freshwater stingrays can grow up to 4meters. Manta rays can grow up to 20feet across from tip to tip. The barb, or spine of the stingray is the only bony portion of the creatures anatomy, razor sharp, barbed/serrated along both edges, and covered with a poisonous mucous/slime that can cause sharp, shooting, throbbing pain, a decrease in blood pressure, and nausea/vomiting (I think everything causes nausea and vomiting, is the body's way of going "get this crap *out*"). Rarely do they cause death, unless the spine/barb manages to pierce a vital area. Google has images of barbs as wide as two inches, though it was only a partial spine, as well as whole spines that would easily make a good stabbing weapon.

End of lesson, if you have questions, email Celstarra@aol.com or Bjo2smo@aol.com))
Back to top Go down
XvXKyriahXvX
Story Book Author

ME :

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbSun Feb 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Kyriah and the watch had followed the one called Celstarra as soon as she had left court. But to Kyriah's frustration, the woman was a magic user and used it to elude them. Not just elude them but she almost seem to toy with them as she appeared and disappeared, it seemed, as she wished. She must have grown tired of the game though for as they followed her towards Meldrum City, she seemed to disappear all together.

Kyriah and the guard split up and checked the Inns and Taverns in search of where she might have settled for the night. What alarmed Kyriah, is after hours of probing, they came up empty handed.

Kyriah had finally allowed the guards to take their leave. In her mind, she was forming a plan for the following day. They would check some of the lower social places of rest for it made sense to Kyriah that the intruder would want to stay unnoticed as much as possible. But with the demeanor she had, it would be difficult for she was condescending and most would likely remember her if encountered.

Kyriah returned to NightWind as well though it was way late into the night. She did not look forward to advising Aly that they lost track of the woman. But Kyriah was diligent as a tracker and would pick it back up at the crack of dawn.

A missive to her Grace and then Kyriah would turn in but unfortunately, she would not find a peaceful sleep awaiting her. Instead, she would find her dreams spun in her mind of fighting an invisible force. One she knew she could beat if she just knew where the creature harbored.

Kyriah knew that BJ had been assigned several guards to stay with him at all times, working in shifts. BJ was very capable of defending himself but it still gave Kyriah some peace. Convinced this person would not hesitate to attack him from behind, it would be better for him to have many sets of eyes watching for him.

Tomorrow....tomorrow the creature would be found and a way would be effected to not let her out of sight again.
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Occupation/Titles : Ranger
Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbTue Feb 15, 2011 5:33 pm

::The first thing BJ did was slip his guards. He knew Kyriah
meant well, but they were less than inconspicuous, and noisy for an elf who was
used to silence and shadows. He found his own way via the mists to Ravenshire,
and there let Mali
know what the newest threat was. Be it said she was *less* than pleased to
learn that someone was out for her love's blood. Words were exchanged, not all
of them pleasant, and the story of their deaths was told.::

Have I told ye…about
his death, and mine? His daughter was there when I was first in his care…but
she went adventuring soon after. In truth, I had forgotten about her, until
now. He was a mage, quite skilled in his craft. I had gone on my pilgrimage to
those who had kept me, protected me after I ran away from him. I had found out…he
had killed them, for harboring me…and it was at the ruins of their house I
confronted him. I killed him in a pitched duel, and when I did, every
enchantment he had placed upon me, every spell he had tried on me…imploded.

His magics died with
him, and each released their energy within me…including the one he had placed
upon me to keep me healed. I…I do not know what happened after that. I woke
some time later in a cavern not far from the battlefield, healed and whole…and
the only enchantment left was the one that heals me. But now…it is different,
it uses my own life force instead of his sustaining magics. Ever since his
death, it has been different…and the only explanation I can find is the Creator
I believed…believe in recreated that enchantment. It decreases my lifespan
incrementally, using my own life force to heal my injuries at an accelerated
pace, but I do not care about that, I never have. I was taught…each day may be
my last, so I never learned to regret what might come.

::By the end of that night an agreement had been reached,
that they would travel to Darkrose Manor and be the guests of Meren and Michael
once again, until this was resolved. For BJ, it was a relief to know that there
would be more than just his own people to watch over the loves of his life. He
had died that day a decade ago, and was given another chance. If something
happened to his family, he was not sure how he would go on.::

::BJ had even managed to arrange a surprise for Mali, and with Elspeth and
Hobbes' help he had recreated the common room in her cottage, the one she had
had when she first started as his steward. He had even had Ian send her rag-rug
Bj had bought for her as a "housewarming" gift, and his wing-backed
chair that seemed to somehow appear wherever he was. They had spent a quiet
afternoon together, and all hurts were mended. It was later that night that BJ
rose from their shared bed and went to the furnished desk in the room. He lit a
single candle, enough for him to see by but not enough to disturb Mali,
and he began to write. His journal was soon up to date, and after a few
moments, he chose sheet of parchment and settled to write a note to Tolroze::

My Lord Tolroze,
Perhaps you have heard of the troublesome Elfess that is seeking me. I am not
concerned for my own safety, but Earl Darkrose did make the chilling suggestion
that she could try to get at my family. I therefore humbly ask if you might
request one of your Draconian associates, Holak or Durrang, to guard my family
until this is resolved. We have transferred from our Keep at Ravenshire to the
somewhat more secure Darkrose Manor. Of course, your associates will be
compensated by my own funds. I thank you in advance for your assistance.
--Your Servant, Sestaren MacDraven, Baron
Land's End.

::BJ sealed the note with a drip of candlewax, and imprinted
his thumb as proof. He set the note aside, knowing Michael would have a runner
available come morning who could take it to Tolroze. In reflection, the Ranger
took another two sheets of parchment, addressing them each carefully...the
first to Mali,
and the second to Michael. A third sheet found him writing out his Last Will.
This he revised every year around his birth-day, but BJ decided now would be a
good a time as any. These three things he bound together, and set them apart.
He would speak to Michael and ask him to hold these papers in trust, until this
matter was resolved.::

::BJ returned to the bed and gathered Mali
in his arms, a faint smile as she snuggled against him, but he could not sleep.
Rather he lay there, content to be holding her. When he closed his eyes, he
could still see the fireworks from that day he had fought and defeated Celtus,
his nemesis. Better to stay awake, then, and look at the one he held close.::
Back to top Go down
Tolroze
Newb
Tolroze

Occupation/Titles : Knight of Zakarum, Count of New Kurast, Infantry Commander, Bodyguard to the King
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-07-15

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbWed Feb 16, 2011 8:33 pm

Tolroze did receive the message, however before he had properly gotten around to responding, he saw BJ in person at court, where they discussed its contents. The knight of Zakarum did discuss the potential security detail with the draconians before court, and he assured BJ that he and they would do their best to see that Mali and the children remained safe.

As such, it was the bronze-scaled bozak draconian Durrang that made his way to Darkrose Manor. Notably over six and a half feet tall, built of muscle and bone and thick scale, his hide and the sorcery that he was born of making him resistant to harm from injury, illness, toxin, and magic alike, he made for a formidable defense. The bozak wore his leather battle harness, holding his shortsword and several pouches at his side, with a good warm cloak of dark red thrown over him against the incessant cold. Burning eyes of bright red surveyed the land as he made his way to the manor, leathery wings folded at his back beneath the cloak. Things were definitely different these days, the draco reflected. It wasn't that long ago that he was mainly an arcane artillery piece for a decidedly unpleasant cause. Now, he was being sent to provide protection for women and children. Not a bad thing, really. Some changes were definitely for the better.

Still, not everything changed. While Durrang had met several elves in the kingdom that were nice, BJ himself among them after all, they were an enemy he was still accustomed to doing battle with. The fact that he was on the "good" side wasn't so big of a change; back in the day, the Dragonarmies had more or less claimed they were the good guys and their enemies were the bad guys anyways. All armies do that, unless they're real fanatics who like to call themselves evil. And those ones are usually crazy, so they don't count for much. Course, the Dragonarmies had claimed their enemies were the real bad guys, and gone on burning things down and slaughtering helpless people anyways, so...they probably didn't count either.

Either way, some things changed, and some things stayed the same. Durrang wouldn't argue if called upon to defend folks from this pointy-eared trull who was harrassing BJ. If she came after his family, she'd learn about draconian measures.
Back to top Go down
meren anwa
Article Enhancer
meren anwa

Location : Solurius, Meldrum City, Clef de Coeurs, Flos de Terra, just to name a few.
Humor : Alumnus of the SASR University (SmartAssedSnarkyRemark) Goes for the obvious joke and jugular.

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbSat Feb 19, 2011 3:25 pm

::The bozak made his way up to the manor, pulling his dark red cloak closer around him, burning eyes taking in everything around it, wings still folded and concealed at his back::

Yes the place was HUGE. Finely kept, and well tended, hence the man at the door when the Draco reached it. Cold as it was, he was on duty as armed guard.

::It looked secure, and that was a good thing. Durrang approached the guy at the door and offered a salute::

Eyes the strange creature. "Halt and be recognized." Least he believed thats what he was supposed to ask.

Durrang, formerly of the Red Dragonarmy, currently of New Kurast, sent by Viscount New Kurast, Tolroze ::though those red eyes of his were only about seven years old, they seemed to hold veterancy from decades::

Took the guy repeating what he said in his mind before Tolroze rang a bell. "Oh you be the special guard his Lordship sent for." nods "uh one mo'" darting in the door for a second.

::He nodded in return, standing at ease outside as he waited::

"I know him, Phillip. He's a friend of the house. Durrang, my friend. Enter, please" Diana was on the opposite side of the foyer, in her tunic and pants. They looked wrinkled, and she looked very tired. Still, she wore her holy
symbol proudly and openly, and smiled to greet the draconian.

::The Draco offered a small smile as he stepped inside:: Thanks Diana. Good to see you.

"Good to see you as well. Light be with you. You've come on a rather eventful day, I fear. Mother and Father are unavaliable. You just missed the birth of my youngest sister by a few hours. We've also had a bit of an accident in the stables. A man was hurt badly. I healed him but forgive me if I smell like the horse stalls. " She gave a tiny smile. There WAS a few traces of hay in her hair.

No problem...and congratulations to the family and all ::he smiled slightly at that, and nodded::

"Thank you. Beriana Lilia, I think Tansy said. But.. come in, come in beyond the foyer. Let me get you something warm, some food. What brings you here today?"

Thanks and Tolroze sent me over to be part of the security here, due to recent troubles aimed at BJ. Was at his request, actually.

A maid came by with an armload of freshly done linen and spotted who Diana was talking to. She screamed and threw the sheets to the four winds, ran towards the kitchen and on out the back door.

::Durrang just arches a scaled eyebrow. He was getting reactions like that long before he'd even arrived in Solurius, it didn't even phase him::

Diana frowned though. "I'm sorry. She's new. I mean, for Pelor's mercy, we had over a dozen baby dragons here for Yule! Recent troubles? Forgive me, I've just arrived home from the fae lands. I stayed there longer than I expected.
Time is.. tricky, between."

Ah, well, apparently there's some elf woman bothering BJ, and he's bringing his family over to keep them safe cause apparently she's the sort who'd do cheap stuff like target them to get to him and he asked Tolroze for some
additional backup to make sure they're safe.

Elspeth came out of the kitchen looking frazzled to start, fussing like an old hen as she picked up the sheets. "What in the name of Sweet Mother....." looks up to see Durrang and sighs. "OH" all she said and took the sheets back to the kitchen. Orders barked to put the kitchen on round the clock doubled up duty.

"Heh. I did see BJ and his family here. Morrigan had Jakob and Rae outside with Odette while Mother was in labour.. but I thought it was a social call. Well. I'm glad you are here then, my friend. I've missed seeing you."

Likewise ::The Draco offered a smile full of sharp teeth, but it was
meant as a friendly expression. Ah well, it's the thought that counts::

It was to her. "Well, anyway. I'll let Mother and Father know later. Do you have any personal preferences on your living quarters? I assume you'll want quarters near Bj and his family."

::He shrugs:: whatever works for you guys. Would prefer somewhere not overly cold, though.

Mali was with the children, helping Elizabeth tend to baths. She was rather damp herself. Adam loved to splash. Laughter just seemed to ring from the nursery area.

Diana laughed softly. "You'd probably want Lands End then. No, I jest, worry not. Father loves the lands here, but loathes the winters. He has the young lads busy keeping the fires high, too. I should tell Mali you're here." She
knew where Mali was, anyway.

There was a very cozy room across and just down the hall from Mali and BJ's chambers. Clean and ready for most guests anyway.

"Please, make yourself comfortable, I'm sure that Elspeth will have a repast ready shortly. I'll be *right* back." Diana shrunk to her fae form.. about the size of a doll, with dragonfly like wings that seemed to prism the light about
them. And she took off to the children's area. Meanwhile, a catlike creature walked up to Durrang. A furry calico, but with small dragon wings on it's back. A dritten.

::He could agree with not being a fan of the extreme cold. Durrang nodded to Diana, watching her turn smaller:: all right...::then eyed the little winged kitten that reminded him of Natalya back home::

Across, on the mantleplace above the yes, well banked fire, was a tiny green dragon with large brass eyes the size of large buttons. Also a white dragon about the size of a cat, with blue highlights, along with a similarly sized
dragon made totally out of glass. Almost clear, but with a small red mote in it's chest. They all looked curiously, but unagressively, at Durrang.

::The big draconian smiled a little as he looked them all over. Here, he hardly seemed all that unusual in this company, except perhaps for size::

The white one flew over, hovering near him. Michelle kept a really tight reign on her snow powers, given his statement. She then flew off, returning with a mug of a hot brown liquid. Hot milk with some of Lilia's chocolate mixed in. She offered it to Durrang. "Friend?"

::He caught the more powerful aroma of chocolate over the individual scents of the dragons and the dritten, which he was cataloguing and smiled a little at the offer as he accepted the mug:: Sure, i'll be friends. Thanks

Meanwhile, Diana had made it to the children's wing. Pelor's Mercy, she must be more tired than she thought! She resumed her full size and walked over towards the splashing. "Elizabeth. Mali. Greetings. Durrang is here, sent from
Tolroze on your Husbands' request, Mali."

Mali blinked and nodded. Adam was dried and warmly dressed. Just had to rescue her hair from him "I will go speak with him then."

Diana smiled and offered to hold her baby brother, as he got a really good pull on Mali's golden locks and laughed. Diana winced. "Sorry, Mali... I really am.."

She smiled. "Do not fret Diana, it's a pain I enjoy." kissing the
rambunctious lads head and heading down in the direction Diana sent her.

"Sister Diana?" Elizabeth asked. "If I may inquire, who is this Durrang? Is he a Paladin of Zakarum like Sir Tolroze?"

"Not exactly. He is a good man though. Strong, level headed. A philospher-warrior who thinks before blindly attacking, and who has learned about assessing the worth of his cause. He's skilled in magic as well. Indeed, if not for the threat hanging over his visit, I think he would find his
stay here a very pleasurable one."

::The bronze-scaled draco probably wouldn't recognize himself from Diana's description. He was still hanging out with the smaller draconic creatures::

Mali tried to restrain her hair some more before reaching the small drawing room. Stopping dead in her tracks. She was still seeing.....things.

"I see. Well, he sounds like a fantastic guardian. What does he look like so I don't mistake him as an intruder?" Picturing a taller, magic based Sir Tolroze.

::Right now he had his mug in one hand, taking a drink of hot chocolate while the other was very gently scratching behind the dritten's ears::

"He's unmistakable, really. He's nearing seven feet in height, strong, and covered in bronzeish scales. He has draconic ancestry. The correct term for his race is Draconian. But I suggest addressing him as Durrang."

Mali was not as greatly exposed to the stranger side of life in Solurius as say like her husband or her friends. Seeing this, she knew she really needed to get out more.

Elizabeth hauled up every iota of her heritage, English nannies, butlers, castelians, and cooks. Her face betrayed nothing at the descrption, and gained Diana a firm nod. "Yes, Mi'Lady"

While Diana was conferring with Elizabeth, and she was doing her best to keep her stunned feelings on the inside, Morrigan made her way down to the receiving room, Bitsy on her shoulder. The hedgehog snuffling the air constantly. "Ah, I did hear correctly. Hello there, Durrang. You're
the new protector for our guests?"

::He glanced up, offering the young bard a smile:: Hi Morrigan. Yep, just got here.

Mali cleared her throat and stepped on in as well. "Hello, I believe you are here to see my husband?"

::He looked to the other woman, and offered another smile:: Hi. I'm Durrang, and I would guess that you're Mali.

Morrigan smiled at Mali encouragingly. "You couldn't be in safer hands. Between our Ranger, Durrang, and the house, this slattern bint won't know what hit her. If she's lucky, she'll live to face the King's justice. If she's not...well, maids will be scrubbing her out of the floor."

The older Lady gave Morri one of those "looks" at such language. She wished
she could have said it. "Yes I am Mali MacDraven. Pleasure to meet you sir."
She and the children were being put into the hands of a beast who drinks hot cocoa and pets kittens? She was going to order her own swords.

::The draconian nodded as he stood:: Nice to meet you. ::If she doubted his abilities she could always ask for his resume. With references by two Dragon Highlords, a couple Black Robe wizards, and a death knight::

They would certainly have to talk on this.

The young Bard shuffled a little. "Um, am I in the way of grown up, stuff I'm not supposed to hear. How many ways can you kill this woman talk?"

::He chuckled a little at Morrigan's comment, a hint of inner darkness flashing through those eyes of his like burning red coals::

"Riiight. Well.. Aunt Mali, I think you and Uncle Bj are in FINE hands. I'm going to wait for Father to wake up, and ask about getting more fire resistant runes in my room." As she spoke, a heavy cart was being wheeled in with hot tea, and a small basket of breads beside a full trencher of meats.

::He couldn't help but eye the food some, though he was trying to be polite, seeing as how he was a visitor::

Mali blinked both at the eyes and Morris words. "What..fire resistant runes?" Oh where was BJ at times like this?

A much more shock resistant maid was making the delivery. Put the cart near some chairs and the fire for warmth. Then she left. Just another day on the job.

"Father. Alchemical rune Magic. Durrang is a fire mage. well, more, he's got strong fire spells. After the Ale and Tales burned up though, Father worked on making runes that make structures more resistant to fire. He hasn't managed fireproof yet."

Ah ::Durrang nodded, he did some wards himself, among them being stuff like that. Fortunately it's been a while since Durrang's burned down anything like a house::

Mali winced recalling Beths incident. "Well..umm.. Durrang yes? I am sure you are hungry after your trip." Did he ride a horse? Did they make them that big?

::As a matter of fact he'd walked, probably a big Clydesdale or destrier or something could carry him, but most horses didn't take well to draconians' presence:: eh, yeah a little. ::was all the opening he needed before he started in on the food::

Burning down a house was like riding a horse. You never really forget how.
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbTue Feb 22, 2011 10:22 pm

::BJ had been to his weekly meeting with the Rabbi, and his thoughts were full as he moved away from the synagogue. Both the Rabbi and Father Philip were informative, and had given BJ much to think about over these last weeks he had been visiting regularly. Jacob would have a lot to decide, but BJ was wanting to give him as much information as he could when the boy decided to ask about his origins.::

::The Ranger was on his way to Court, his swords at his sides, and as was the Holy men's request, they were tied peaceably, shimmering scarves of blue-grey silk, the color of a stormy sea. The day had been pleasant, although cold for most humans, and he walked with a light cloak, his hood down and his hair pulled back. BJ's gaze was down on the streets before him as his feet took him automatically toward the Castle.::

::Celstarra had listened to many over these last days, and learned of it's movements through the city on the days Court was in session. Cloaked in illusion, at times an old woman, at times a human, the Elfess learned many things. She had learned that he visited the Rabbi, and at times the Priest joined them, from the baker across the street from the synagogue. All she heard about "the Ranger this, the Ranger that", made her sick, and she had prepared herself well for this encounter. A heavy cloak, her figure hunched over, glamoured to appear an old woman, she made her way close to the castle, along a thoroughfare her prey was sure to take.::

::It happened quickly, the attack, as Celstarra stepped into BJ's path, and he ran into her. Immediately his quick reflexes grasped her, as an old woman, by the shoulders, his murmured words of quiet apology turning to a gasp of recognition as he looked at her, the glamour flickering in her anger. She thrust at him with the created blade, and he turned, a grunt of pain as it slid deep into his lower right abdomen, the point catching on bone. She gave a wolfish grin as she hissed at him.:: My father be avenged.

::BJ pushed her away, and in doing so the handle of the blade snapped off, having been secured there only by hair and a spell. He cried for the Watch, and a few bystanders took notice of the occurrence, raising the cry themselves. Celstarra cursed him, and she fled, making her way down a side street and seeming to disappear. As for the Ranger, he went for his closest refuge, the Castle.::
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbFri Feb 25, 2011 1:33 pm

((Editor's Note: The Events here happened the day before the attack.))

::BJ was in a small room off the main drawing room, he had
asked to speak with Michael but was told he was unavailable...however, Meren
was free. Here, in this house, he felt safe, and his swords were in their
quarters, but he did carry a small dagger at his belt::

Meren was just glad to be up and around. Out of bed and
bedroom for a while. Michael was being so ..Michael over this delivery. Feeling
fine and pleased to be able to see her own feet again, she went to drawing
room. Someone needed

to see her?

::He turned, hearing footsteps approach, and a hand dropped
reflexively to his hip, but he spoke quietly upon seeing her:: Lady Meren...it
is good to see ye up and about.

She held out her
hands in greeting to him. "It is good to be up. Have you seen the newest
blossom on our rosebush?" Dear gods
she was starting to sound like Michael and Morri.

::Takes her hand gently before releasing it, always his
touch was brief, all he could handle, but he gave a slight smile:: A moment, in
passing. She is quite beautiful.

"She is, but then I am very biased. What is this
trouble Michael has told me of? Your past rearing its pointed eared head
again?" Motioning him to sit down. That way she could too.

::Waits for her to settle before he perched on a chair
himself:: I have a request of Michael, a need for him to hold something in
trust for me.

Meren nods. "Of course. Something in the bank with its
vault?"

::A slight shake of his head:: No...more...just some papers.

She tilted her head to regard him a little differently.
"Papers?"

::A bit uncomfortable trying to explain this, it had seemed
so right during the dark:: In the event...that something happens to me. ::a
deep breath, and plunges in:: I have revised my Testament and Wishes, and would
ask Michael to hold a copy.

That was a hard thing to hear. She loved BJ dearly. Nodding
though. "I will personally make sure he gets them."

There are also letters...to Mali...to
Michael and ye...to be opened if.. ::Trails off, and a nod, rising to move to
the fireplace mantle, and takes down a sheaf of sealed parchments. Speaking
softly:: I do not expect my end, Meren...but having dealt with her father, I
know she will be...persistent.

::Though he had no scheduled patrols of the manor or
anything, Durrang nevertheless made rounds through it. Was good to familiarize
himself with any place he intended to defend. He noted voices as he came by the
drawing room::

Meren nodded again. Heads were always so heavy at times like
this. They never seemed able to stay in place.

::Trails off, and a nod. Rising to move to the fireplace
mantle, and takes down a sheaf of sealed parchments. His voice still quiet:: I
do not expect my end, Meren but having dealt with her father, I know she will be...persistent.

She took the papers and set them next to her."Well if
the papers give you peace of mind so be it. I do not expect to read them
though. You will be fine."

::The bozak was clad in his battle harness and carried his
swords and casting gear, as usual, and he took a glance into the room, not
wanting to intrude but having a healthy dose of suspicion and paranoia at even
the best of times::

::Nods to Meren, and settles once more before looking up to
see quite a large figure in the doorway. A slight gesture of his hand for the
draconian to join them::

Meren smiled up at him. "Hello Durrang. Are you finding
everything secure?"

::He stepped inside, nodding to Meren and BJ:: Evening. Yep,
so far ::he nodded::

::Nods to Durrang:: Master Durrang, I...appreciate your
being here.

No problem, glad to be able to help ::the bronze-scaled
draco gave a smile full of sharp teeth::

That smile had already cost Meren three terrified maids and
some healthy laughter as well. Silly females.
He was a darling to have around.

::A slight smile, then looks to Meren:: I agreed with
Tolroze to cover his upkeep while I have hired him, Meren so send any grocery
bills my way. ::He had heard about the draconian appetite, and had prepared
himself::

Laughing she nodded. "ok, I will do that then."
Not that she would, this was a high maintenance place as it was. They always
had contingencies planned.

::Durrang snorts a little at that:: Now don't either of you
worry overly much about that. I can survive on a tenth of what a human needs to
eat for days if need be, and if it comes to it i can always go out and eat
something nearby...

::not specifying whether that meant hunting or terrorizing
some poor place. Not that Durrang does that much any more::

::BJ chuckles, hearing Durrang:: No. I agreed to both your
pay and your board. We will settle up when this ordeal is finished.

Being a good Hostess, Meren smiled "If you wish to go
hunt let me know and I will get Raj to show you the best places." safest
too. No screaming humans.

all right then ::the
Draco shrugged, deferring to them both::

::Bj nods to Durrang:: Have ye met the children yet?

::He shakes his head::
not yet. Course there's enough kids running around here that it can be
hard to make sure.

::BJ laughs softly:: All but two of those belong to Meren
and Michael. Ye will most likely find Rae in the company of Odette and Jacob
often playing with the dragons and drittens.

All right ::the
Bodyguard nodded. Plenty of those critters around to keep

track of too::

Meren just laughed and nodded. "mhmm. Toss in about a
dozen non-human children and tis day to day to life here. "Fact I think
you will find all of them, and I do mean All of them, in the dining room.
Someone declared a birthday today and they are having a proper party."
Poor Elspeth, she would just have to accept that vacation soon.

BJ chuckles:: Another birthday? ::Just shakes his head, and
looks to Durrang:: They will "all" have a birthday by the time we
leave here.

Nods."Jacks was ...wait. Beri was born on the
sixteenth. Jacks birthday was the
seventeenth, and I think one of the Dragons claimed today."

::He just arches a scaled eyebrow at them::

Ye will find, Durrang, that this household is quite busy,
even without our being here. ::BJ pointed out.

"Well anyone for a birthday party or do you two have
something else to attend?" rising from her chair, papers securely in hand.

::Having the big draconian here was comforting, in a way, BJ
knew the added protection gave him a greater feeling of security, as much as he
could have that feeling. Shakes his head:: I have nothing else I need attend
to. Durrang?

::Durrang shrugged, looking between the two of them:: me either, really.

::Michael made his way into the dining room, looking over
the decorations. He smiled, looking around a little. It was mostly mild
illusions, but the room looked like a draconic cave, if a special and well
decorated one. Lines of silver coins hung from stalactite to stalactite,
glittering in the firelight. Gold coins glittered around plates. They weren’t
real, but the effect was nice. BJ had followed Meren through the halls to the “party”,
and kept an eye out for the little ones. There were a few dragons flying about,
waiting for the guest of honor. The dritten and Chime were playing a strange
game of non-tag, flitting from place to place. Really, shelves that held items
within…Michael watched it all with detached amusement.::

::Durrang likewise followed BJ, wings folded at his back,
tail trailing in his wake. He glanced around at all of the effects laid on the
room for the occasion, nodding slightly. BJ nodded in appreciation of the effects,
but a look around for who the “guest of honor” was.::

::Michelle, the white Dragon, living it up…she was riding
Raj’s back in style. This had been Odette’s idea, and while the family had been
very agreeable to it, Raj had been the first to agree. There was a little
silver crown on Michelle’s head, a loan from the Dragons still in Haven.::

::The bozak couldn’t help but chuckle a little as he watched…the
dragons here were so different from the ones back home. Even the little ones
there hadn’t been quite like this. BJ just had to watch the procession, and shook
his head slightly in amazement. Michelle was really glad the bozak was here.
She was quite taken with him, not as a crush per say, but impressed with his
warrior prowess and draconic heritage.

::Michael smiled at BJ:: Told you, my home is rarely dull.
::Borderline insanity was almost common.::

::And that in itself was very, very different from back home…::

::Bj nodded to Michael, see him also.:: Aye…ye were quite
right.

::Meren had gotten distracted but finally caught up:: Ahh, I
see things have started.

::Odette and Rae were about as dressed up as two little
girls could get…even to the face rouge. Now where did they get that?::

I should be. I live here, BJ. ::He grinned, then smiled to
see Meren.:: Ahh, and how is the woman that’s made this all possible? ::They
borrowed it from Morrigan::

::BJ nodded at that:: Aye. ::So many together had him
subdued.::

::Meren laughed.:: Don’t give me credit for this please. I
do need to speak with you for a moment though, Husband.

::The children laughing at the many creatures antics. Even Jacob
was having a fit of giggles thanks to Raj’s whiskers. Michael blinked, and
looked around…well…Morrigan was helping the girls, so she must know her khole
and rouge were pilfered…and was okay with it. Michelle was getting to her
little birthday rock to rest on. Raj and Durrang were there if they needed
anything from the larger people…Chime was greeting Michelle, making her day
special. He nodded.:: Very well. ::He started running a mental list of what it
could be.::

::BJ glanced at Meren, his gaze grateful, and settled in
quietly to watch the proceedings.::

::Meren smiled at BJ and wagged a finger at Buttons.:: No
stealing, little man. I mean it.

::That left him looking dejected…till she was out of sight,
anyway. Michael made his way into the “Meeting Alcove”. It was technically a
meeting room for guests, but the talks always seemed to happen here. Mainly
because it was attack proof. No dragons, drittens, or children could get in without
full notice. She handed him those papers.:: BJ’s final…papers.

::BJ accepted a glass of…something, he was not sure what,
from one of the children, and just stands there holding it, holding up the wall
during the party. Durrang settled himself over by one of the illusory
stalagmites.::

Ah. ::Wise precaution. Hells Bells, Michael had his own
final papers and he didn’t even have someone actively trying to kill him right
now that he was aware of.:: Does he wish me to function as the executor of
them?

::Meren nodded:: He needs you to keep them safe and, if the
time comes…handle things. I suggest you have a private talk with him about
that. Mali
doesn’t seem to know about them…yet.

::Michael shook his head:: That’s foolish. He’s a husband
and father. This isn’t anything but a solid idea that should have been done
prior. It’s important when you have loved ones to make sure your final wishes
are clear, and your affairs settled, so that you can avoid adding to their pain
and confusion. Everyone should have them.

::She just huffed:: Typical man. ::And they both knew he was
Far from that.:: Look, he does not want to hurt Mali
any more than he needs to right now.

::He kissed her lightly:: I’ll talk to him. Now, before
Beriana needs you again…heh…I’d like to keep an adult older than Morrigan in
the room. ::At sixteen, Morrigan was an adult, but not full time.::

::Mali
had Beri in hand, Arms actually. All was good for now.:: Well, I’m ravenous.
Think I can sneak something past our hostess? ::Grins and kisses him::

You’re the lady of the house. If you need…pull rank. ::He
chuckled.:: Or…if you go left instead of right, you can take an unobtrusive
left down the servant’s corridor…into the kitchen.

::Her eyes lit up with the memory of that.:: Thanks, I knew
I married you for a reason. ::Grins and heads back to the party.::

::Michael made his way back to BJ, all smiles. Just another
day at a party. He smiled to Durrang, hugged Odette and smiled at Rae, moving
through without pause as if nothing was wrong at all.:: BJ my friend…can you
give me a hand? I want to add something for some special effects from my lab.

::BJ was listening to the party around him, then nods to
Michael, and sets his still full glass down.:: Aye, Michael.

::Durrang nodded to Michael, downing a drink he’d procured.
Meren eased around a table giving loving caresses and soft kisses to every head
at the table. Stopped as she got to Durrang. He offered a smile to Meren that
could make a crocodile envious. It made her laugh, actually. Elspeth chose then
to come out with food. What an assortment. Something literally for everyone.
Sounded like feeding time at a hen house though.::

::Michael waited until they were about three halls away,
movinginto a side room.:: So…got your statement of intent from Meren.

::BJ gave a quiet nod:: I do not expect that it will be
necessary…though I revise my Testament every year. As for the other letters…I
hope to retrieve those from ye and burn them after this Daughter of Celtus is
dealt with. Unopened.

Mali
knows you have one then? ::That was better…Michael admitted he knew this wasn’t
the best time to let Mali
know he was worried about death.::

::BJ got a bit uncomfortable.:: I am…uncertain if she knows
of the newest revisions. Though I do intend to speak with her. ::Then looks at
Michael:: She does not know about the separate letter. And she will not. Not
unless…

::Hobbie had seen Durrang and Meren lingering around the
kids and brought up another tray of food. Just a small snack really. Leg of
mutton for him and meat pie for her. She loved that man. The draco gave Hobbie
a grateful nod, then started in on his mutton::

BJ, I need to ask you. Do you really cling to the idea this
can be resolved peacefully and without violence? No worries about the letters,
though. I won’t tell her.

::BJ looked to Michael, and in his heart he could only hope,
but he knew in his head the answer.:: I can…hope. But I know that for this to
end, one of us must die.

Just make sure it’s her. If you need anything…hidden blades…poison…alchemical
items, let me know. I will not deny you any advantage.

::BJ shook his head slowly:: Refuge here is…more than I
could have asked for myself, and I thank ye for letting us be here. I will
stick to my blades and my own abilities.

Very well. Gods above and Below, we know those are strong
protection as is. Anything else I should know, secret I should keep?

::BJ considered confiding in Michael, and then a slow nod:: Keep my family
safe, if I cannot?

::After the food had been inhaled, Michelle took her place
upon her celebratory rock and rose to her full height, preparing to give a
speech::

As if they were my own. ::Michael nodded:: Shall we return
to the party then? We’ll swing by my lab, pick up some small chemical bags I
have…a little fire and they flare in color. After all, we need to bring back
*something*.

::A soft chuckle from BJ:: Aye…must keep up appearances.

::Michael:: Always, my friend. Always. Appearances that go
unquestioned are the same as reality.

::Michelle cleared her throat again when a certain big-eyed
dragon wouldn’t stop humming over his stolen goodies. Good, now that Michael
was here, she could begin. ‘Cept the only ones who could understand here were
winged. The overly dramatic gestures, facial expressions that told of hardship,
love, loyalty, good hunting, those were clear to all. Batting her baby blues at
Durrang was pretty clear too. She ended her thank your speech by blowing
everyone kisses…and leaving the table in a snow flurry of affection.::

::Durrang’s burning red eyes just kind of stare. BJ gave a
slight bow of his head to Michelle, and glances at Kleptodragon before settling…but
he wondered where Mali
was::

::Michael smiled softly:: Well, it *looked* good. Heh…suddenly
wish Macbeth was here. I don’t understand this version of Draconic.

::BJ chuckled softly, he understood not a word. Neither did
Durrang…the draconian language wasn’t very closely related to that.::

::Meren just shrugged:: It was easy. She loves us all, ‘specially after all we
have been through together…good times and bad. Her love is ever growing…

::Michael grinned at Durrang:: Think I may have lost my
favored status though. Don’t worry, she’s…umm…like 8 today? She’s still a
wyrmling.

::Meren looked to Durrang:: And she is thankful for this
party. ::How hard was that?::

::Durrang nodded to Meren…arched a scaled eyebrow over at
Michael:: …you do realize I’m still less than eight years old, right?

::That made him chuckle:: Well, no…and I certainly wouldn’t
have said that out loud.

::BJ chuckles, hearing Durrang, but does not make the
suggestion of those two getting together. Meren cracked up and had to turn away
for a moment. It would be for the best if no one did bring it up, considering
how much Durrang missed Conjure already.::

::The party would quickly wind down. Children not able to
hold back yawns. Buttons already making his third trip to his hiding place…booty
to stash. BJ helped with herding the children to bed, settling Rae and Odette,
and he was carrying a dozing Jacob.::

::Meren just shook her head:: Hey Durrang…umm…why don’t you
go on into the kitchen and get a proper dinner. No children.::

All right. ::Durrang nodded, rising and heading in that
direction. It never ceased to amaze Meren how this family could turn possible
tragedy around and into a celebration. BJ tucked Jacob into his own bed, a
small dritten curling up next to him and goes in search of Mali.::

((word count 3102))
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbFri Feb 25, 2011 1:37 pm

((Editor's Note: For ease of those who played, I'm posting the word counts for each edited post so we don't have to go back and figure it out.))

BJ had brought into the tower from Court by the
litter-bearers. Michael stayed with him.

By the time they reached the tower, Miyuki had a room ready
and was already in there with several vials and various pouches, and a large book
which she was flying through at a rapid pace.

Aisling had full confidence in her healers and only wished
to expedite and keep panic from surrounding BJ. Urgency was needed but
confusion could not be tolerated. She moved them into the room speaking low to
two of the young lasses they passed to bring supplies.

Julien gave a quick word to a servant as they passed through
the halls, and sent the youth pelting ahead to Julien’s tower room, faster by
far than they were moving, arriving as they did and handing over a rolled pouch
to the young healer.

BJ was drifting now, and when he closed his eyes he could
*almost* hear a voice calling him. Meren was not far behind the others.

Julien stepped back as they set him on the examination
table, his face entirely expressionless, setting the pouch down on a counter and unrolling it to reveal his own
surgical instruments, absolutely sterile and untouched. Aisling stood aside
then, watching as the healers began their work. She would be there should they
need her direction but she was determined to let them exercise their expertise
in the poison matters. BJ could be in no better care than Miyuki and Julien.

Michael just nodded to Julien…healers were so fussy about
clean tools. Meren too, must be a healer thing. “Can I best help keeping him
focused, or getting the Hell out of your way?”

Julien looked to Miyuki as he shed his winter garments,
cloak, even his outer tunic, so he was only in his shirtsleeves, rolling those
well up. “A combination of poison, you said. What can be done?”

And then to Michael. “If you can stay at his head, please
keep him focused for as long as you can.”

“Oh, getting into people’s heads is my specialty.” Michael
put his hands on the sides of BJ’s face. “BJ…it’s Michael. Can you hear me?”

“At…at his head. Stand at his head. Away from this wounded
area here. “Julien stripped back BJ’s shirt efficiently to expose the wound. BJ
still was wearing his swords, belt, his shirt was a total loss, and he had a
thought that Mali
was going to kill him for it.

Julien bent to examine the wound from as many angles as
possible, noting the edges of the weapon, broken off at the end. “Someone said
he has a natural regeneration, yes?”

Michael stood at BJ’s head, away from the healers. “We’ll
buy you a new one…hells bells, ten.” He laughed, nervous. “You know I’ve always
wanted to update your attire, BJ…you downplay so much…”

From Miyuki, “Yes. Belladonna, at the very least, and
morning glory seeds would match the hysterics…what else….”

Julien conscripted one of the servants to help carefully
strip him of weaponry and belts, anything that would get in the way of their
work, gently easing his fingers around the wound to gauge how the thing must
come out.

His breathing was short and forced, but BJ looked at
Michael, and a slight smile, forced. “I like…dark.”

Miyuki slammed through a few pages of her book, and scanned
down a column, looked at BJ, then back again. “Jimsonweed…that as
well…but…hmm….”

Aisling stood close to Meren, watching as they worked and
having to cover her mouth with her own hand very inconspicuously at times.
Still she believed they would pull BJ through this with all her heart. Miyuki
skipped a whole section, this one prefaced with a large spider as the chapter
introductory illustration.

“We can do dark. Just, you know, something stylish.
Heh…we’ll wait until you get better, because Mali
will be all over you once I’m done with you.”

“So removing it is not the only thing that will help, “
Julien murmured, his tone detached, focused, “He’s unable to take any pain
deadeners, then?” That to Miyuki.

BJ groaned softy, and stifled a dry-heave…his eyes were
aching, and his head pounding. Was this what a hang-over felt like?

“I wouldn’t at the moment. Get some activated charcoal in
him, to start.” Miyuki reached over and felt his forehead, frowning. “Also,
lets try to keep him cool. He’s burning up.”

Meren held out her arms to take the Legacy from the helper.
BJ would not be pleased if anything
happened to them.

“Lucky you. You can’t drink, and you get to feel like you
went on a bender. At least you haven’t been sobbing and hanging on people
telling them you love them.” From Michael.

Unconsciously, Aisling nodded slightly at Miyuki’s
assessment, watching Julien as he talked it through.

Julien nodded to Miyuki. “I think the thing must come out
first, then we can work straight from the site to remove poison.” To the
servants, “Towels, douse them in cold water. Get snow, pitchers, anything.”

Julien reached behind him with a quick glance, taking up a
thin, profoundly sharp instrument and bringing it forward. “Then, Ranger, I am
well and truly sorry, but we must cut this from you. Do you understand?”

Hearing Michael, BJ closed his eyes, and a shudder went
through him. “Mali…”
He looked at Michael, his eyes wild. “Make sure…she knows….”

“That you pulled through and are recovering very nicely? Of
course.” From Michael.

Julien’s eyes still full of steel, meeting the Ranger’s
fevered glance, lips tightening again before he moved back down, taking a slow
breath and setting blade to flesh, slicing cleanly and carefully. BJ had heard
Julien, and a slight nod, then a grimace and a stifled cry at the cut.

“Let’s see…for the belladonna and the jimsonweed, eserine.”
Miyuki drew out a small vial, and pulled the proper dosage into a small pipette.
Julien’s heart and mind quivered at the cry, feeling it all as he acted, his
hands steady as he made an easier path for the removal.

Miyuki set the pipette on a tray, and then went back to
looking at the spider venom section of the book, pouring through it at a
prodigious rate. BJ tried to struggle, but his legs were curiously heavy, and
he focused on his breathing, on Michael.

Julien made another incision, his gaze never leaving his
work, his tone even. “Can someone please prepare a cloth with which to remove
this? I don’t think it should be touched directly.” He noted how the thing
pulled at flesh, excising only shredded and damaged ends. “And another to clear
the site of blood.”

“So, Jacob reading yet? Odette is learning with Elizabeth,
Rae and Jacob could join her.” From Michael. Aisling looked to the item that
Julien was removing. Her brow furrowed for it did not seem to be a blade at
all. She stepped a little closer to get a better look, trying to see through
the blood of the surgical procedure.

BJ tried to shake his head…his voice was raspy, dry. “It
would be…good to join.”

Miyuki glanced at BJ again for a moment, looking him
over…then back to her book, flipped a few pages, then looked back at him. The
fluid in question pooled out, staining Julien’s shirt, BJ’s pants. “And get
these off, I’m not sure how far in I’ll have to cut.”

Miyuki spotted his pants, and noted the priapism. Well that
had to be uncomfortable…but it did help with venom identification, and she sped
through the pages of her book. Aisling thought the blood was much more than
should be for the wound and it seemed the object within him was barbed or at
least it seemed so by movement. The servants assisting followed direction to
remove the Ranger’s breeches, another taking up clean gauze cloths, handing one
over so the healer could dab at the excess blood. Julien noted Aisling’s
interest, nodded. “Serrated.”

“I even have a book suited for the task.” Michael said to
BJ, trying to keep his mind focused and away from the things. “How is the pain,
BJ?”

The obvious response to her curious examination, Julien
thought, cutting…nearly teasing the damaged flesh away from the roughened edges
of the thing. BJ looked at Michael, and a bit of confusion, “Curious…”

“You’re a hell of a chirugeon, Julien.” Michael looked down
at BJ, “What’s curious?”

A slight shake of BJ’s head, “I…cannot feel…my legs.”

Julien’s brow furrowed slightly at that statement, finishing
the excisement, nothing the thing within him moved slightly. Aisling was almost
sure this was from a stingray but she had never seen such a large diametered
stinger before. That was not good news. Blood loss would be a very big issue as
well as breathing difficulties, “Miyuki, check it for stingray poison as well,
aye?”

“Um, that sounds bad. Please someone tell me that’s poison?
Because we don’t know the limits of his healing.” From Michael.

Julien set his scalpel aside on the gauze, taking up the
other piece the servant held, noting Michael’s statement. “That’s…just his
body’s reaction to poison, Michael. I’m not that good.” It was a crude joke,
deadpan.

“I meant the feeling of numbness in his legs.” Hey, Michael
thought, if that was how Julien swung, so be it. BJ had a little idea about
what they were speaking of, but he could not feel it, so he just looked to
Michael.

“For the priapism…Ma Huang extract….” Miyuki drew out
another vial, then looked to Aisling, “I will, but I think there’s spider venom
in there that’s causing his lower body issues…” She trotted the small vial
over, “This could help treat that. Use the whole vial for that one.”

“I was referring to…” Julien nodded at the priapism,
wrapping his hand in the cloth.

BJ spoke softly, “What…Michael?

“Yes, BJ?” Michael asked. “What is it, my friend?”

Julien rather hoped the numbness held for the moment,
curling his wrapped palm around the object. “Ranger, I need you to take a deep
breath.”

BJ reached a hand up, weakly, the paralysis had not spread
past his waist, but his hand trembled. He then nodded to Julien…it was hard to
take a deep breath, but he would try. “Do…what ye must.”

Miyuki skipped back to the sea-creature section of her book,
skipping past the jellies to the stingray entry. “…the stingray venom should
mostly be causing the at-wound pain and nausea.”

Julien took a deep breath himself and he held it, a moment
of stillness and then he pulled the thing swiftly from BJ’s abdomen. BJ stifled
a cry, his breath coming out in a grunt. The “dagger”, to call it that, was
long and sharp, serrated down its entire length on both sides, and the width of
a finger.

“For that, apply hot water to the wound…it’ll help ease the
pain!” From Miyuki.

Julien peeled the cloth off his hand and wrapped it around
the..dagger…thing, setting it down behind him. “No. One. Touch. That.” An edge
of authority now, rarely exhibited but brooking no question. He returned to the
wound swiftly, examining the damage now that it could be seen fully. “Hot
water…” The servant heard Miyuki and brought a bowl poured from the kettle on
the hearth.

“Make sure that’s hot, not scalding!” From Miyuki. “Test it
on your wrist first!”

Aisling kept in her mind that she would not step in unless
needed but the blood loss was great. She knew that she could bring forth the
fire from the phoenix and sear the wounds but she would not if her healers
could stop it. She stood her ground and let them work.

“Someone with a clean hand, please.” Julien looked to
Aisling, “Can you test this water to be sure it is hot, not scalding?”

BJ was bleeding, but not badly…and he fought to stay awake
now, for sleep would bring its own Healing, and he wanted it to have the best
chance. Michael frowned, “Damn your allergy to magic…must you always be so
stubborn? Just once, could you not take magical healing, any magic at all?” He
sounded more nervous than angry.

Julien glanced to Michael at that. “Is *that* what that
was?”

“Yes. BJ is…well, not *immune* to spells, but he feels pain
from them, and it kills the spell…eats it. I have no idea why.”

BJ looked at Michael, and a wry smile. “I will heal…but
slowly…and the longer I remain unaware…the greater the chance…” fades slightly,
“The greater the chance….”

Aisling checked the water with her own hands as her body
temp was much higher than most. She nodded quickly to Miyuki.

“Damn…all there is treatment for is ingested morning
glory….” From Miyuki.

Julien’s brows twitch slightly. “Would I had known that
earlier.” He noted Aisling’s nod, and directed the water be poured slowly and
carefully over the wound. Looks to Miyuki. “Hot water in the wound. Now what?”

“I know, I wish I’d said it earlier. Yes BJ. They are safe,
absolutely.” From Michael.

Julien took up another clean cloth to absorb the now diluted
blood. “I’d very much like to close this wound.”

“This…” Miyuki handed him a pipette. “This will treat the
belladonna and jimsonweed. Mind you, don’t give him any more than that.”

Michael thought about it, then switched tacts. “But, you
know Mali.
She’ll not stay…she doesn’t like me…then what? If I try to force protection,
she’ll resent it.”

Julien wiped a hand, taking the pipette. “Straight into the
wound, yes?”

BJ was still restless, realizing the danger they will face
if he is incapacitated. “I must…get to them.”

“Yes. Its oil made from a West African bean…it will help. “
From Miyuki. Some herbalism Julien knew, this sort of poisoning was new to him,
he was glad to defer to one more able. BJ tried to rise, tried to move, though
his legs refused to work, he tried to prop himself up on his elbows.

“Of course. Soon as you are healed. But don’t forget…they
need you.” Michael gently moved his hands to BJ’s shoulders and forced him down
again.

“Ranger, stand down. We are not finished. Your family is
safe.” Julien nodded in thanks to Michael.

“Yes, safe, for now. But…your task is not yet done, Ranger.
You may not rest, you may not close your eyes knowing they’re okay and safe and
protected. I can’t hold Mali
like a prisoner, so dammit you *will* pull through…and you *will* go back home
and you will hug her, and your children, and protect them your damn self.”
Michael looked borderline distraught. BJ growled a bit, but he cannot fight for
long, and he settles back a little. Julien poured the vial into the cleaned
wound, making sure to coat all edges and soak in.

“You’ll…teach Jacob how to wield a sword, and Rae to
dance…and hear Jacob’s first report on a book, play and run with them…teach
them to ride…it’s too early for you to settle in, BJ.” From Michael. Aisling’
smind would bring forth a memory of when she and BJ were much closer. A friend
of all friend’s though he stayed much in the shadows. Lady Healer he would call
her. Back in a time when things were much different. She shook her head to
clear the memory and focused once more.

“With that, and the Ma Huang you administered earlier for
the priapism, that should cover what we can treat…the rest is up to his healing
capabilities.” From Miyuki. Julien took note now of the vials’ contents running
into the wound, looking for any punctures or other damage he may have missed in
his initial work. She wrung out a cloth and dabbed at BJ’s forehead, trying to
keep him cool while the heat from the poisons passed. Aisling motioned for the
table with the supplies to close the wound was at the ready for Julien. He
spared a smile of thanks to Aisling, taking a brief moment to wash his hands
with the remaining water, patting them dry on another clean cloth. BJ kept
awake, though his body demanded sleep to heal. Aisling looked to Michael and
nodded slightly for he had done his part very well, but BJ would need to start
self-healing soon if he was to neutralize what the healers could not. Still,
she kept her tongue.

BJ spoke softly. “Michael…water…please.”

Miyuki checked his eyes for dilation in the pupils, and
notes a little, but they’re still reflexive, so she was pleased with that. He
was probably still a little manic, a little hallucinogenic, but the pain at the
actual wound site should be fading now from the water diluting the stingray
poison.

Michael nodded. “Of course…” Looking around, hmm… “Need some
cold water…someone?”

A youthful lass that had been assisting in bringing what was
needed approached with a small tankeard of fresh cool water and handed it to
Michael shyly. Julien peered into the wound again, after glancing at the tip of
the dagger, frowning and taking up a long pincer. “There’s still a piece of
this thing in there.”

“In a little while, we may be able to administer something
topical to ease pain.” From Miyuki.

Michael nodded to the lass, taking the tankard and gently
giving BJ sips of it. “Drink…just get through this…for Mali,
for the Children.”

BJ took small sips, though it did little to ease the burning
dryness. He was careful not to choke, and gave a nod that he had had enough,
and looked to Julien.

“Mm” Michael said to Miyuki’s comment. Shame they couldn’t
give the poor bastard something during the surgery to knock him out, but
thenhow would they know if the poison killed him? Not to mention Miyuki wasn’t
willing to risk an interaction with the poisons, if there was a chance. Julien
gave a quick flick of his wrist and out it came, caught between the pincers,
all but dropping them aside by the dagger and swiftly taking up the suturing
materials, wasting no more time stitching what needed stitching.

“Good hands, Julien. You’re going to save a lot of people.”
From Michael.

Julien noted the nod from the corner of his eye, not taking
his gaze from the task at hand, quick, even stitches closing the wound,
matching edges until only a small cross-shape remained, blood tinged but no
longer bleeding.

BJ spoke softly, “Bel’la dos…Julien.”

Julien did a quick tie off and he snipped, looking up to the
Ranger’s face now. “Stad.”

Miyuki took a long, deep breath as BJ gave a small
nod…finally…he closed his eyes for a moment, then opened them again. Julien was
watching closely for any further signs of pain, fever; noting the servants
finally returning now with buckets of snow and dunked towels. “Tuck those under
his neck, along his sides and behind his knees.”

That should pout paid to the last of the fever. “Stoke the
fire as well, and fetch blankets. We don’t want him catching chill after all of
this.”

Michael helped with the towels around his neck. “Well,
that’ll help keep you awake, BJ”

A ghost of a smile to Michael from Julien. “Hopefully it
will soothe him enough to let him sleep, actually.”

BJ nodded to Michael. “I must sleep…to heal.”

Miyuki marked the poisons they treated for in her book, and
slowly closes the large, leather-bound volume.

“Sorry, I assumed we’d wait for Miyuki to give the okay
there.” Michael muttered to Miyuki. “Can Chein do anything if needful?”

BJ turned his head slightly, and looked to Miyuki. “Bel’la
dos.”

“I trust Julien’s judgment. Chein? I suppose, if it becomes
infected, yes, but I do not think we’ll need him unless that happens, and we’ve
taken every precaution to make sure the wound is clean…so.” Miyuki blinked and
looked down at BJ, still dabbing his forehead. “Hmm?”

BJ blinked himself, and reviewed his last words. “Thank…ye.”

Julien was moving instruments, bloodied pads, and other
sundries off the table. “We’ll need to get him into a real bed in the ward.” A
stern look at BJ. “Under guard. For his own safety.”

Miyuki chuckled a little. “Nandemo nai…and you are welcome.”

BJ heard Julien, and he became a bit frightened, and looked
to Michael, struggling to rise. “Home”.

“Home will happen when you are able to be moved safely,
without fear of re-opening the wound.” From Julien.

“I can look after him, if you like.” From Miyuki.

If BJ was not there tonight for bed, Mali
would have his hide…she had strict instruction that he was home every night.
His fear of upsetting her outweighed his fear of doctors.

“And when we are certain, absolutely, that the poison has
been counteracted.” Julien nodded to Miyuki, smiling gratefully. “You’re best
suited to that.”

“Meren and I will deal with Mali,
BJ. She won’t hurt a new mother.”

Julien frowned slightly, eyeing the thing he’d pulled from
BJ’s gut. “Can someone in addition to the Royal Guard be set at watch?”

Miyuki smiled sweetly, not looking terribly like a guard…of
course, it was the weapons people couldn’t see that were the most dangerous.
She knew that better than anyone. She simply continued to pat BJ’s forehead
with a cool, damp cloth for now.

“Is he safe to sleep now, Miyuki?” From Michael.

“Yes, of course.”

“See? Listen to Miyuki. She’s a smart little tibbit.” From
Michael.

Julien took the instruments he’d used and set them into the
topof the kettle, just listen now. Miyuki arched an eyebrow at Michael. Well,
interesting to be called little every now and then, even if she did tower over Leon.

BJ closed his eyes and began to drift, the healing sleep he
needed claiming him.

(word count 3632)
Back to top Go down
meren anwa
Article Enhancer
meren anwa

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbFri Feb 25, 2011 2:01 pm

When Michael and Meren arrived home, Michael first made sure he had none of Bj's blood on him. It wouldn't do to start off scaring people giving bad news spattered with blood. Then he asked Elizabeth, their Governess, about Rae and Jakob. "Sleeping? Good. Keep them in this wing, please." Now, the hard part. Mali.

Meren had taken possession of BJ's swords at the Tower and still held them. Mali would want them, she was certain of that much. How the woman would react to her husband near death again, she was not.

Not well, Micheal imagined. He had no details, not really. They wouldn't until BJ awoke. She needs to know he is alive though, before the rumor mill gets to her ears. Michael knew she wouldn't be sleeping yet, and asked the maids where Mali was, heading there with Meren. He paused at the bedchamber door, spoke quietly. "Mali."

She had been sitting by the fire, sewing. Missing more stitches than making them. Every sound she heard in the hallway, she prayed would be BJ and it never was. Now, her heart sank at hearing Michael speak. The tone in his voice.

He studied her face. He felt awful, he felt raw. He'd rather face a dragon than do this to her. Best to start off with the good news. He knelt beside her, to eye level. "He's alive, Mali. He was attacked by that elven woman, but Julien...Kate's son? He and Miyuki saved his life."

Her eyes, wet with the beginning of many tears, turned up to Meren. She had expected it would have been her to protect and save BJ. Meren's heart sank and she simply put the Legacy upon the bed for Mali to do with as she wished.

Michael saw the look, felt bad for Meren. He knew Bj was dear to her. Longer than he had been, if differently. "He's resting in the tower. He can do best to sleep for now, she used poison. We haven't caught her yet but she will be caught."

Mali kept clasped hands on her lap as Michael relayed everything that had happened. Nothing helped ease her heart though. She would go to him tomorrow and see to his care. Looking over at Meren again, a sense of shame for her initial reaction read in the blonde's eyes.

Tears slid down Merens face. "He was in excellent hands and we were there with him the whole time. I could not have done any better."

Michael stood, offering Meren his hand to squeeze. Doing more in front of Mali while Bj was so far away seemed cruel. "Mali, I know you will want to see Bj..but I beg you, if you want to go... let me or Morrigan take you by the Mists. I fear once this deader knows your Husband is alive, she may try to target you."

There was a flash of anger and challenge in those unique eyes. "I wish she would try." Shaking her head. "Durrang will want to go of course"

"As much as I would gladly lock you both in a room together, and treat you to dinner over her still warm body afterwards, I still must ask. And if he must, I would not object." He sounded adamant about it too.

"It would give BJ comfort to know that for once we all abided by his wishes." The smile Meren managed did not travel to her eyes.

"Thank you both for everything." and that came from a great depth of heart of former Stewards heart.

Michael nodded. "Of course, Mali. Bj, All of you, All of you are as precious as family to me. To all of us. Anything I can give in aide is yours."

When Mali was left to her own thoughts, she would cry. Put the Legacy upon the fireplace mantle just as BJ would, though she did let her eyes travel over the blades a little longer than usual. A hard set to her mouth betraying her normally gentle thoughts.

She wasn't the only one crying that night. A voice, young but unusually strained came from the doorway. "She won't kill him...she can't. No cowards venom will steal him away. I've seen it.." Morrigan was at the door in her nightgown and robe, hair was a mess, eyes red from crying.

Mali turned sharply having been surprised. "Morri..oh gods.." She put down the sword and hurried to the girl and just embraced her right there. "No, no he wont be taken from us."

Morri hugged her back. She just closed her eyes. She'd be asleep when BJ was attacked, dreamed it. Awaking to find it true had bitten deeply.

They held each other in the doorway til tears stopped and hearts eased their pounding. "Would you like to go with me tomorrow to see him?"

"Yes. I can take us, if you like. I...I think I knew this would happen. I said something to her, in the Tavern. I...I knew she would fail. I... I think I saw her die, after. It's hazy."

Mali felt her throat tighten again, but nodded as she listened to the upset young woman. "We will see what happens. I can not sleep, would you care to go to the kitchen maybe? Something to drink?" Something with comforting normalcy to keep her hands busy.

Morrigan nodded. "Yes...I think so... I.. yes."
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbFri Feb 25, 2011 10:03 pm

::BJ fell into unconsciousness, sinking deeper as his body
sought to heal its wounds. And as his body worked, his mind raced, thoughts and
memories spinning through him, the Morning Glory doing its job all too well.
Nightmares and dreamscapes found him that night, tormented his thoughts and his
spirit.::

::He found himself in a warm, small thatched home, and
remembered the place all too well. It was Taldred and Abigail’s, the human
couple who had taken him in when he had run away from the Mage Celtus’s
influence, who had sheltered him and begun his healing. The Mage had taken them
away from him, destroyed their lives for little more than because they had
harbored a runaway half-Drow bastard elf-child. BJ could remember a time with them,
and his mind turned to that…::

::The gentle voice of
Taldred, soft firelight and wood in BJ’s hands…Taldred asking what BJ saw, and
his own simple response. Human laughter, soft, amused but not mocking…:: “Aye,
Sestaren. Wood is what ye *hold*. But look deeper. What do ye *see*?”

::The dreamed turned,
another time, he was little more than in the beginnings of his second decade.
He had
found two straight branches about two and a half feet long, peeled the bark
from two feet of them so he had balanced, smooth surfaces. Twelve seasons old,
he had practiced with them, pretending to fight monsters and villains that
lurked in the woods. This day, however, he had been in the yard. The skies
threatened a storm, and he had not wanted to be far from shelter. He had just
executed a cross-down parry coupled with a horizontal outsweep and had paused
to consider its effectiveness. It was then he had felt eyes on him.:: “How long
have ye been watching?”

He could remember that
feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach. Now that Taldred had seen the other
half of his heritage, he had fully expected to be driven away by those who had
shown him his first kindnesses since his mother’s death. “Long enough,
Sestaren. Ye move gracefully, and ye fight like a Drow.”

“I can be gone after I
gather my things, Sir.”

“Ye may leave if ye
feel ye must, Sestaren, but I will not be forcing ye. I see now what ye meant
when ye spoke of mixed blood.”

::His thoughts turned
once again, shifting, and now there was darkness outside, and firelight
within…a woman’s voice humming softly. Taldred telling him the story of the
Legacy, how it had been passed down from father to son, the story being told to
him by his father, and his father before him…and how he had given BJ the twin
blades. Promising to come back to see them when he left, and he had…until the
day he arrived and there was no one there.::

::A tear slipped from his eye in the current time, and he
breathed a sigh before his rate returned to normal::

::Another turn of his
thoughts, another image…the house broken, weeds in the yard…and the Mage was
there. Celtus was there. After more than two decades he had decided to seek out
his wayward property. “You chose a wonderful place to die, my Sestaren. I was a
bit surprised you did not return to our village.”

::His heart raced a bit faster, and he shivered, that same
fear he had felt those years ago running through him again, cold wind through
his soul.::

“This placed called to
me. We, ye and I…we have unfinished business which concerns this land and those
who lived here.”

“Ah, yes. Those so
called *friends* of yours. Did I ever tell you how they died, my Sestaren?
Cursing your name and the fact of having ever known you…did you know that? The
human male died on his knees….”

::He could remember
the image Celtus had shown him, and it still brought him pain. Seeing Taldred
on his knees, appearing to plead for his life…and black lightning that struck
him without warning.:: “Ye will be joining him sooner than you think,
Half-breed. I have indulged your insolence for too long. It is high time you
learned your place.”

“This must end…you
will plague me no longer…I refuse to live in fear of ye anymore.”

::A new blast of
lightning, and the amulet BJ wore flared to life, a shield of his own magic
protected him at the last moment, taking the brunt of the force. He dodged the
bolts of magical enemy, struck by as many as missed, but his determination kept
his body from noting or feeling the beating it took.::

::He still wore that amulet, and it flickered a swift moment,
unnoticed about his neck. BJ shifted in his sleep, painful remembrance of the
electricity dancing over him, trying even now to dodge the bolts that existed
only in his memory. A soft sound escaped him before he fell silent once again,
fell once more into the dreamscape.::

::Now the building
behind him burst into flames, and BJ turned at the sound of screams coming from
a building he knew was empty. He felt the sharp sting of a whip against his
back, an invisible lash that raised a very visible mark. Again and again that
whip landed against his back, as much as he tried to get it in front of him. He
could hear Celtus once again:: “I do not want to simply kill you, my
Sestaren…that would be much too easy. In time, you will *beg* for death.”

::BJ remembered the
feel of his sword as the blade slid through the Mage, the dagger he pushed
through the Mage’s ribs to his heart.:: “I have taught you well…my…Sestaren….”

::His body shuddered, reliving the memory of the failing
spells as they unwove within him. A soft cry, and in his mind the world
exploded, bright dots of light going off like fireworks.::

::As the light faded,
a new place, now…dark corridors that ran endless. It felt familiar, and he
stood for the moment in the middle of a corridor, tilting his head slightly to
listen, uncertain. From a distance came the sound of soft crying, whimpering,
and he headed toward that sound. Took the chance to call out,:: “Hello…where
are ye?”

“Adar!” ::BJ knew that
voice, and Rae’s face appeared in his mind’s mind. He moved faster, heading
toward the sound of where she was. He could still hear her crying, but the
corridor did not change, and there were no doors. The sound faintly was getting
louder, but not fast enough, and he put on the speed.::

“BJ? Where are you?”
::
Mali now called him, and he could hear the fear
in her voice, it spurring him on to a run. His cloak trailed behind him as he
ran, and he had no weapons, but that only gave him a slight moment’s pause as
he heard a scream, and more crying, louder now::

“BJ? Help us!” ::His
own fears he fought to hold at bay, but panic began to set in as he raced
through the halls. He came to a T and stopped a moment, listening, before
choosing a direction, and set off again at a dead run.::

::He twitched in his sleep, and his respiratory rate
quickened, his heart beating faster in response to the panic he felt in his
mind.::

“BJ!” ::And then a
slow laugh, cruel…feminine. Where were they? And who was with them? If that
crazy Daughter of Celtus was there, he swore he would bring her death. But
where were they? And why could he not find them? His fear of their fears, his
imagining of what she was doing, sent him into further panic. He was flying
now, a shadow through the dark corridors, and nearly ran full-tilt into a door
when the hall abruptly ended. BJ’s hand reached for the knob, and he felt the crackle
of magic. He had no choice, and opened the door…to find nothing, no one, just
more blackness. A step, two, and he was over the threshold, and suddenly there
was no ground, nothing beneath his feet…and he fell. But falling in your mind
is nothing like falling in the real world, and the final stop was not death,
but an explosion of darkness as his body fought the last of the poisons, and
then the enchantment forced his mind into quietness to complete the task.::

::The Ranger stilled then, and his breathing and heart rate
evened out, slowed even to what might be considered dangerous lows. For him it
was normal, and his body now worked without hindrance.::
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbMon Feb 28, 2011 3:13 pm

BJ's awakening, pt 1.

BJ was still asleep where they had laid, him, and barely
moved, though it was obvious the paralysis had passed, as a random toe
twitched. BJ’s breathing over the last two nights had evened out, and the
higher temperature he had ran had returned to his normal.

Julien stepped in
quietly from the hall, the last of his rounds ending with the Ranger. Miyuki
perched nearby on a high stool, book in hand, quietly turning the page every
now and then. Julien noted the still slumberous state, and moved quietly but
not stealthily, clearly a presence in the room…no need to spook the poor man,
nodding to Miyuki as he saw her.

Julien spoke very quietly, “How is he?”

Bj was slowly coming out of his stupor, and as he moved
through the layers his eyelids flickered, a hand twitched to grip a blade that
was not there. Miyuki looked up at Julien and smiled faintly, “Stable, and an
active dreamer it would appear…”

Julien quirked a half-smile, noting the faint stirring,
moved instead to take up a cloth, then to the hearth to dipper out a bowl of
hot water, setting them on a table aside. There was a maddening itch that was
annoying enough to get him to start waking, and his breathing changed as he
became more conscious. Miyuki settled her bookmark in her book, and set it
aside, though she stayed sitting for now, watching BJ with mild interest. Julien
took up a post at the end of the bed, watching and waiting as BJ found his own
way out of sleep, watching for any signs of further injury or harm. The elf’s
hand moved, straying to his injury, picking at the bandage.

“A, pleasant waking, Ranger. Please don’t pick at the
bandaging. I’ll be needing to look at it when you’re more aware.” From Julien.

A growl answered, and he struggled to waken, that itch was
horrible.

“If its itchy, it means its healing. You should probably not
poke at it.” From Miyuki.

Julien’s eyes flick to Miyuki then back, “Hmm…” He moved
back to the cabinet, taking out a thin scissor and pincers, setting them beside
the bowl of water. BJ forced his eyes open, though that caused a lance of pain
through his head at the brightness in the room, and now both hands went to his
belly, trying to get at what was bothering him. He felt like he had been run
over by a stampede of horses, and his head pounded.

“Take a deep breath and try to relax. And leave that be. We’ll
correct the situation presently.” Julien rolled up his sleeves, drawing the
coverlet down enough to expose the healing incision. “I think the sutures must
come out for him to heal the rest of the way.”

A swift, pale pair of hands swooshed down and gently
prevented his grasping at the bandage. “No, no…patience.” Two
differently-colored eyes stared very firmly down at him.

BJ started to struggle, but he was weakened…and looking into
Miyuki’s eyes was a little disconcerting. “Where…where am I?”

“The healer’s tower. A safe place.” From Miyuki. His throat
was dry, but that was from two days of stillness more than the poisoning.

Julien smiled and nodded to Miyuki, thankful for her
competence and patience, taking up the scissors. “If you’ll be still for a few
moments, I think we can alleviate your discomfort.”

BJ gave a slight nod, and closed his eyes a moment. “Mali…the
children…still safe?”

“From what I understand, yes.” From Miyuki.

BJ closed his eyes again, and a slow nod, then tipped his
head to look at Julien…his eyes narrow a moment before he places the young man,
and speaks softly. “Quickly.”

Julien snipped gently through the wrapped bandaging, peeling
it and the packing bandage away gently, taking care not to reopen what had
already started to heal. “Mm. As I thought, this can’t finish healing without
removing these…”

The area was inflamed, but not overly so to cause concern
for infection, and the skin itself had not closed due to the sutures. His
healing had stopped at the depth the sutures started, though there was little
or no blood, just a slightly gaping incision.

“It will hurt a little, but hardly much compared to what you
have already felt. A tickle in comparison.” From Miyuki.

Julien offered the pincers to Miyuki. “Would you be so kind
as to take the bits away as I cut them free?”

BJ had to smile slightly at Miyuki’s words, and a nod. “It
is…nothing to what it was.”

Julien shifted away briefly to take up the bowl of water,
setting it on the bedside table, moving the clean cloth then as well. BJ gave a
slight growl, damn it itched. “But whatever ye did to me needs to come out…before
I take care of it myself.”

“I can, yes…I trust I can leave your hands free. “ She gave
BJ a small smile and let his hands go in favor of a pair of small forceps. BJ
nodded to Miyuki, and it took a force of will to keep from picking at the
sutures himself when she released his hands.

One of Julien’s brow twitched slightly. “I trust your
ability to determine what must happen, please trust ours to help.”

He took up the sharply honed scissors again, nodding to
Miyuki before easing them into one of the sutured lines, very gently snipping
until they separated. Miyuki watched and waited, forceps ready with a small
metal pain in the other hand. Julien repeated the process on all the stitched
incisions, easing aside for Miyuki to get in and removed what had been freed
already. As the sutures came out, BJ became more tired as his body sought to
heal itself, but nothing like it had been before. He sank back against the cushions,
and Julien and Miyuki could almost see the wounds closing before their eyes.
Miyuki was, at this point in her life, used to seeing wounds heal that quickly,
and seemed please. BJ closed his eyes…if he could get the headache to subside,
he would be much better.

Julien’s eyebrows raised fully as he watched the progress,
usually he was involved in it more than snipping and suturing. “Huh. So that’s
what it looks like.”

BJ spoke softly. “Just…a bandage will be needed now…although
another nights rest and I should be fully healed.”

Well, fully was a subjective term, but the physical injury
would be healed. Julien nodded, finishing the last snip and setting eth
scissors into the bowl of water, moving to retrieve fresh bandaging.

BJ considered. “May I have…some water?” Food could wait, for
now he needed something for his throat.

Julien returned with the bandage materials, looking around
for a cup.

And then another thought...BJ looked to Miyuki. “Have ye
been here…all this time?

“…yes.I figured if you wok up you’d rather see a familiar
face than a stranger guarding you. And anyone who came in here with any sort of
unpleasant intent would get a *Nasty* surprise.” She smiled tranquilly.

Julien flashed a half-grin before locating a cup and
pitcher, pouring fresh water, handing it to the ranger, he trusted he could
manage on his own by now.

((Word count 1210))

Last edited by Sestaren on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar and spelling)
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbMon Feb 28, 2011 5:15 pm

BJ's awakening, pt 2

Julien had left, after deciding BJ was out of danger
physically…that left the Elf alone with the Tibbit. BJ tried to sit up, he had
been laying flat for the better part of two days, he needed to move. Miyuki
snagged an extra pillow off a nearby bed, and stuck it be hind him. “Move
slowly, and try not to tense your stomach muscles too much just yet. Don’t want
to retear anything internally.”

He was getting stronger as he stayed awake, though he knew
he would need at least another night’s sleep before he was up and about
consistently. “As ye command.”

BJ teased her slightly, but he was also serious, being quite
careful how he moved. Miyuki arched an eyebrow, but smiled faintly, and
reperched on her nearby chair, reaching for her book. The elf reached for the
nearby cup of water, taking a sip before he spoke softly. “Ye have been here…the
entire time?”

BJ realized how little he knew about her, but he also knew
how much a debt he owed her, if what he remembered of the other night were
true.

“Yes…I don’t need to stop for sleep or food, unlike the
regular guards.”
BJ considered that a moment, then dismissed it, he definitely did *not* know
much about her. “Is that with all your…kind?”

Another sip of water, his throat was still dry thought it
was due more to lack of fluids than the poisons. Miyuki shook her head. “No…it
seems to be a quirk of whatever Chein and Ten did to me last year when I was
attacked.”

BJ nodded at that. “I am…grateful for your being here, Lady
Miyuki.” He did know who she was, had seen her before and even spoke with her,
but rarely at length. “I…thank ye. For not leaving me…alone.”

Miyuki chuckled. “Perhaps it is partly my own experience
with waking up alone after something traumatic has happened to me, but I didn’t
think you’d very much like to either…or to the sight of strangers.”

A smile at that, and a nod from BJ. “I have woken up alone…before.
It is…disconcerting.” He shifted in bed, testing…at least everything worked. It
took him a moment to realize he was completely naked, and he colored slightly.

“Mm, to say the least. I am not sure which was more
terrifying…the time spent trapped in my head, or the moment right after I
opened my eyes.” She didn’t seem to be bothered by his nakedness, or take too
much notice of it at all. She was probably used to that sort of thing.

BJ blinked, and looked at her as if she knew exactly what
had happened while he was unconscious. He spoke softly, “Opening my eyes told
me…I was still alive.”

He looked at her, and a slight smile, if a bit wry. “I have
no desire to die, my Lady…despite what my actions may say.”

“I would imagine not. Dying is *very* unpleasant. Opening my
eyes told me I was in a strange place I’d never been, in clothes I had not put
myself in. It also told me that I
*should* have been dead, and had been dead, but for some reason…I…just wasn’t
anymore.”

BJ nodded at that, he understood the “should be dead” part…and
that he was not. He considered a moment and then had to ask. “Where…are my
clothes? The blades I carry?”

“Your clothes are being examined and then cleaned…your
blades I am not sure about, as I did not have any hand in the removal of your
things. Julien will know, more than likely, who has them. And if he doesn’t,
Michael may.”

He nodded at that…he had faint memory of someone taking
them, perhaps it was Michael. “I am afraid the shirt is beyond mending…at least
it seemed so after Julien started with it.”

A slight smile from the Elf, “And I cannot very well go home
unclothed.”

“Well, no worries, I’m sure when you are well enough we’ll
find you something that’ll do.”

BJ nodded, and pressed. “When…might that be? I need to see
my family. I am sure they are worried…and…I am as well.”

“Hmmm…with the rate you are healing at…perhaps a day or two.
Depending on how quickly the rest of your healing goes, how well you keep down
food, passing a few minor tests…reflexes and such.”

BJ chuckled softly. “You would test me before I may leave?
Is this required of all your patients?” He had laughed to hide his nervousness…he
did not like being tested, or a “guinea pig”, when it came to the healers. Of
course, the mention of food was accompanied by an undignified stomach rumble,
and he placed a hand there, reflexively.

“I would hope so. I
should think poorly of a doctor that would let a patient go without
sufficiently determining he can withstand the average strain of every day life.
Not to mention the guilt and horror I would feel if say, someone I’d let go
suddenly collapsed and hurt themselves *more* because I was took quick in
releasing them.”

He had to admit she did make sense, but he still questioned.
“And if this someone chose to leave…without permission?”

“I would be very unhappy. I would find them, and watch them,
and make sure they got back to somewhere to rest, even if it wasn’t at the
tower.”

BJ had to smile at her earnestness, and he gave a slight
nod. “I would not wish to make ye unhappy.”

He was having a bit of enjoyment at playing “what if” with
her, though. “And if assurances were given that your patient would be safe…and
cared for?” He knew once he made it home, he’d be lucky if Mali
ever let him out of her sight…ever again.

“Assurances are all well and good but I am a healer. My job
is to provide that care. And unless the duty is transferred to another healer,
I don’t know how confident I feel about any assurances.... As I am the most
combat-ready healer, I am best suited to your care. And since stabbing me does
very little, it also means you don’t have to worry about my getting hurt.”

BJ nodded at that, and moved once again on the bed,
gathering up the bedclothes and turning to shift his legs to sit on the edge of
the bed.

“Is there anything within reason that you require at the
moment?”

BJ shook his head, then a nod. “Something to wear…perhaps a
bit of food. I…do not ingest meat.”

Miyuki nodded and wandered over to a draw, drawing out a
soft, warm and long cotton tunic in a natural cotton color. She set it on the
bed. “You can dress while I retrieve you some food, if you like. I exepct you
to be here when I get back, and if you are not, rest assured I *will* find you.
I am very persistent. I am guessing no animal products whatsoever?”

BJ raised a slight brow, it was not his style, but it would
be better than traipsing naked to the ‘pot. Then he shook his head. “It is only
meat…I was not permitted before, and m system cannot…handle it.”

“So broth is all right?”

BJ nodded And…perhaps if they have it, warm cranberry juice?”
It was the closest he came to a “drink”, and had developed a taste for it.

She blinked. “I should be able to manage that, but do you
have a second choice in case I cannot find any?”

“Just water, will be fine.”

Miyuki nodded. “I will be back then. Take care if you feel
you must be up and moving. Go slowly. Do not push yourself. If you feel dizzy,
sit back down and wait until I get back.”

BJ nodded, and a slight smile as he spoke. “As ye command.”

She smiled, pleased with his compliance. If only all her
patients were this easygoing. BJ nodded again, and then picked up the tunic,
studying it a moment…definitely*not* his style but it would do. He slipped it
over his head, careful not to disturb the bedclothes around his waist. He
refused to be embarrassed in front of her…the sleeves were a bit long for him,
and he pushed them up, tying the wrists tight to keep them out of the way. The
tunic would reach almost to his knees, good thing…and he watched for her to
leave before he tried to stand. Before she had returned he had managed,
although a bit shakily, to stand, use the pot, and get back into bed. Enforced
idleness did not become him, and he had forced himself into a couple laps around
the room, holding onto things, before he returned to bed.

Miyuki returned in a few minutes with a good sized bowl of
broth with veggies, a few slices of bread with a little butter, a mug of
cranberry juice that she’d quickly warmed over the fire, and a bowl of what
looked like apple slices peeled to resemble little rabbits. BJ looked up to see
her return, and a shy glance at what she brought with her. She folded the legs
on the underside of the tray down to sit over his lap.

BJ looked at her a moment. “While ye were away, no
dizziness, nor any difficulties walking.” Not that he would admit if there was
anyway, stubborn elf, but the slight dizziness had passed once he stood up a
moment, and the shakiness as well had left once he started moving.

“That is good, though I suspect you still had to go about
things slowly. Your body has probably burned a good amount of the stored energy
it contained while you slept, trying to repair itself. You need to build that
back up to regain your stamina. One way is to eat. The other is to sleep more.
And the third is to dedicate yourself to it. People underestimate the power one’s
thoughts have over their own bodies.”

He knew what she meant, and he began to eat, though slowly.
It was a bit awkward for him, to be eating while she was not…old manners die
hard. BJ spoke quietly. “Most of us…elves…do not sleep, though we have
something similar. But to heal, I truly do sleep.”

“You *will* get better, BJ. Do a thorough job of those
three, and it will happen.”

“Another things true rest…and I should be almost complete.”
He gave her a nod, quietly. “Aye, ma’am.”

Miyuki seemed to sense his slight awkwardness in eating, and
picked up one of the apple bunnies, munching on it thoughtfully, tail end
first. Bread and broth disappeared, veggies too…and he took a sip of the cranberry
juice, and a small nod. “Ye did find some.”

“I did. It should be good for you as well as tasty.”

BJ nodded at that, and continues to finish the meal, making
short work of the apples, and then wraps his hands around the mug of juice. “Again,
thank ye.”

He considered what she had said earlier, and his words are
soft. “I do not expend energy to heal, Lady…but my own life force. I am not
certain how it works…the enchantment Celtus used was sustained through his
magics, and only caused me pain with healing…but after he…I killed him…the
enchantment was replaced, using myself as the source.”

She blinked. “Oh? I apologize, I am not very familiar…”

BJ shook his head slightly. “No one is…except my ‘chev…Mali.
I explained it to her. Michael understands…perhaps some of my history…not even
I understand exactly how it works. But I must sleep to heal…and during that
time, until my body is repaired, I am…defenseless. I can fend off the demands
of the enchantment for a time, but eventually I must succumb.”

He unconsciously rubbed an arm, a faint memory of that pain…his
forearms held a fine tracery of scars, barely seen unless looked for, but they
were there. Part of the reason he always wore long sleeves, that and the small
snail tattooed on the inside of his left wrist, those things were…personal.

Miyuki tilted her head slightly to one side, curious, but
hesitant to ask. She understood difficult scars…the littlest bit of one shiny
gold mark visible on top of her head.

BJ met her gaze, and he noted the quizzical look. “Ye have a
question.” A drink of his juice while he awaited her question, and a slightly
bemused smile.

“I do but I think it is not polite to ask.”

BJ chuckled softly. “My Lady…I have a feeling ye have seen
more of me than most except my wife…please…I understand a…healer’s curiosity.”
He knew that Aisling’s curiosity had nearly gotten her killed…and Meren was
always reading something new…for some reason the phrase “curiosity killed the
cat” came to mind, but he dismissed it. Still awaiting her question once more,
he watched her quietly.

She considered this a moment, then hesitantly moved a hand
toward her own sleeves. “Perhaps I can ask it on a more equal footing…” Her
pale, almost milky white arms are laced here and there with gold, metallic
scars…they look like bite marks for the most part…with the occasional crossbow bolt
puncture. “I noticed you too have many scars…I was curious as to how you
acquired yours.”

BJ gave a slight smile. “I will have one from this…adventure,
though they all fade in time.” He considers, and then just a thought, looks at
her curiously. “Where do ye want me to start?”

“Presumably at the beginning. It *is* the place to start, or
so I hear.”

BJ chuckled softly. “Aye…start at the beginning, and when ye
get to the end, stop.” Then he nodded, considering, and began quietly. “I was…about
eight seasons…years, when my mother died. I never knew my…Drow father. I was
taken in by the village mage, and it was he that gave me these…” He rubbed his
arms self-consciously.

“He placed an enchantment upon me that would heal me, though
it caused great pain…and he took delight in using that enchantment.” A slight
shudder, he could remember the thing, sharp obsidian blade Celtus had used. He
looked at Miyuki.

“I have heard of something called the “Death of a thousand
cuts”…but I never died.”

Miyuki nodded attentively, listening. A sip of his juice
before he continued, calming. “Four seasons later, I ran away and never looked
back. Almost two decades later I killed the mage that caused my pain.” He
touched his shoulder with his fingertips. “This…was from an arrow.”
Moves his way down, remembering, touching his right upper abdomen, just below
his ribs. “This from a blade.”

There was a thin scar across his abdomen, and he traced it
lightly with a finger. “This from…a moment of weakness.”

That made her arch an eyebrow a little. Abdomen scars meant
something a little different from where she was originally from. BJ looked
right at her. “Ye have another question.”

“By moment of weakness, you mean…” And she made the motion
across her own midsection as if she had a knife in her hands.

He was not proud of that night, but he nodded faintly. “Aye.
I was…prevented by several close friends.” Remembering that night, and a hollow smile. “They held me down, kept my
hands away…while I healed.”

Miyuki nodded. “It is rare to see such a mark. Few people
survive doing such a thing, and it is a terrible way to go.”

BJ spoke softly. “It seemed…how do they say…a good idea at
the time? But I am glad to say I was unable to follow through…and that I am
here today.”

And then he touched his right lower abdomen, where the skin
was still pink and slightly puckered, but healing well. “And this…ye know what
it is from.”
She nodded. BJ nodded back, “I heal well enough, most of the scars are faint…barely
recognized.”

BJ turned his hands over on the tray, palms up, and looks
down at his left wrist, and his hand traces the outline of the snail. “This…is
a reminder that home is wherever I am.”

Miyuki smiled. “That is good. And a good thing to remember.”

BJ nodded. “Sometimes I forget…but I soon remember.”

He finished off his juice, and set the mug down on the tray.
Miyuki seemed quite pleased that he finished all his food, and hops down from
her seat to clear the tray away.
He watched her with an amused smile. “How am I doing, Healer?” BJ could not
resist teasing her just a bit.

“Good. Eating is an excellent step.” She paused, and smiled
a little. “But please don’t call me healer. Miyuki is much easier to listen to…or
Yuki, if you like. I suppose Miyu would also be alright.”

His own smile faded a little. “I…did not mean to offend,
Lady Miyuki.”

“No no no!, You didn’t offend me. It’s just…I am not used to
titles. Even Lady seems a little strange, though I know it can’t be helped
sometimes.”

A bow of his head at that. “As ye wish L…Miyuki.”

She laughed, probably the most sound she’s made all night.

A small smile, hearing her laugh. “Please…forgive me, I was
taught a long time ago to accord all females with…respect. Habits are difficult
to break.”

“I can understand that, but you give me respect when you say
my name. That is more than enough.”

BJ gave another bow of his head. “As ye wish. Miyuki.”

She chuckled. “I picked that name myself, so I’m always
pleased when others use it.”

BJ spoke quietly. “Is there a meaning behind it?” Then
blinks. “ I am sorry, I do not mean to pry.”

“Not at all…don’t be afraid to ask. I am more than happy to
tell. It means “silent snow”.”

BJ nodded, and considered what he knew of her. “Appropriate”.

She grinned. “I thought so. A little less dramatic than the
name my parents gave me, and less…colorful than my surname.”

A nod…he understood what names meant to some, and he would
not ask unless she offered.

“My given name…you might learn someday.” She smiled, eyes
sparkling a little with mischief. “But my surname, also one I chose, is
Ketsuhana..”

BJ nodded, and a smile at what sounded like a challenge. “And
does it also mean something?”

“Aa. It means blood flower. For my parent’s memory…. Some
tibbits take multiple surnames as they progress through life. I will never
change mine.”

BJ nodded, he could understand that…all he had was a faint
memory of his mother, little more than an image, a scent….

“It is also a little dramatic, but I try not to think about
it too much.” She chuckled.

BJ considered. “Silent Snow Blood Flower. Aye…a bit
dramatic.” And a smile, “But then…such a quiet one needs a dramatic name.”

She laughed. “I suppose. And I have heard worse names. My
kind seem to have a flare for drama…”

BJ wondered if they are in any way related to Kender, now
those were dramatic.” My surname was…given for me when Alysia adopted me into
the clan. Until then if I had one, I do
not know it.”

She nodded. “Tibbits pick theirs in accordance with life
changing events, or as a descriptor of themselves as they grow and change.
Until we are of age, we generally don’t have one…just the name our parents gave
us.”
BJ nodded at that. “ I have not had much interaction with…tid-bits…just ye and
when he was here, Leon.”

“After we come of age, we choose a name to be called, and
keep the ones our parents gave us a secret to most people…a few people know mine..Chein
does. Ten probably does too but I never willingly told him.”

BJ gave another nod. He took the moment to settle back once
more on the bed, and Miyuki just nodded. “Perhaps it is time for you to rest
again. We can talk some more later.”

She returned to her chair and picked up her book. BJ closed
his eyes to rest, and let himself continue to heal. His lips twitched in a
slight smile, if he was good, perhaps he would be allowed to go home on the
morrow.

((Word count 3370))

Last edited by Sestaren on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling and grammar)
Back to top Go down
Byron Meldrum 3
Story Book Author
Byron Meldrum 3

Occupation/Titles : Being King
Humor : Heh, being King
Number of posts : 347

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbMon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 pm

::Munching popcorn and passes the bowl:: Excellent!!
Back to top Go down
http://castleofthemoors.com/
Caillean Meldrum
Article Enhancer
Caillean Meldrum

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-09-26

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbMon Feb 28, 2011 6:12 pm

((Wonderful rp!!! Pass the popcorn, Mel!)
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbMon Mar 07, 2011 1:05 pm

Miyuki had cut him loose earlier, with the admonition that
he not walk all the way back. He had agreed, and started for the last place he
knew Mali and
the children were. BJ figured Michael would have sent word if they had moved. A
passing carter was kind enough to provide a ride, and BJ arrived at the road to
the manor as the light was beginning to fade. He walked up the way, an
unimpressive figure in blood-stiffened leather pants and a too-big tunic. They
at the tower had tried to clean his clothes, but after the pants got him home,
they were done for. BJ stood at the door for a moment before lifting his hand,
and proceeded to knock, rather forcefully.

The guards knew the fellow, and let him pass to the door.
Just didn’t expect him to want to knock the thing in. A rather strong and
imposing looking fellow opened the door. “Yes?”

BJ paused, then looked at him. “I…am looking for Mali…”
He looked around again, then back to the man. “This is Darkrose Manor, aye?”

The guard was well informed, but not about to let a stranger
in the door. “Who might you be…and can ya prove it?”

BJ had wanted his family safe after all.

Quietly, “I am BJ MacDraven, Baron of Land’s End…”

Thinking, he had noting on him to prove it, except his
amulet of Underdark stone. He took it off, and handed it to the guard. “Take
this to Mali…please…she
will know it.”

That got the door closed in his face though. He would
personally take it to Mali,
leave the fellow standing in the cold to wait. BJ flinched…and wrapped his arms
around himself. The tunic sleeves were too long, and at least they covered his
hands, even if all he had on was the tunic, pants, and boots. His cloak had
been nowhere to be found, if he had even had it in the first place.

There came a cry from within. Something crashed and a moment’s
silence before the door was torn open. There was Mali.
Amulet clutched in her hand, tears in her eyes. He had been just about to sit
down when the door opened again. She looked ready to kill the person bringing
word of her husband’s death, instead found him standing there in the cold. BJ
turned a bit fast, and caught himself…looking at her, then past her, then
behind him. “Mali?”

She looked as if she had been hit hard, choking back tears.
“BJ?”

He took a step forward, then another, and he was inside, his
arms going around her, pulling her close. His lips found hers as he kissed her,
and it was sweet. She was not sure which was holding the other tighter…but she
was certain he was real and alive. He released her lips gently, and he hugged
her close, burying his face in her hair. “Mali…”

Her kiss trembled with emotion, but she wouldn’t break it
for the world. At least she had the presence of mind to pull him inside and
secure the door behind them. “Why did you not tell someone you were released?
Wait…you did not walk out on your own did you?

He was not about to let go of her, but a shake of his head,
and a slight smile. “I…No, Lady Miyuki said I was free to go. And the messenger
would not have beaten me here…a carter dropped me off at the end of the road.
It…was good to walk.”

“Why did no one bring you…” cutting her off. “BJ…you are…and
it’s cold…You….” She sighed, an old and useless argument.

BJ spoke softly. “Peace, ‘chev. Miyuki made me promise not
to come alone, which is why I caught the ride.”

Another voice came from further back in the hall. “I don’t
think Yuki meant that exactly, BJ.” Meren regarded him with a very critical
eye.

BJ looked to the new voice, startled, but then a slight
shrug. “I needed to walk…enforced idleness makes me…anxious.”

Meren just arched an eyebrow with a hint of a smirk. “Are
you tired?”

BJ considered, and was truthful. “Aye…but no more than I
would have been.” He spoke softly, “I wanted…needed…to be with family.”

He kept his arms around Mali,
needing to be near her, to touch her, to reinforce his knowledge that he was
*home*.

“Well then, how about I prescribe a nice private dinner and
time with your family, so you can rest?” Meren just watched them and waited.

BJ gave a bow of his head, and looked at Mali.
“Accepted. ‘Chev?” Then he considered, and looked once more to Meren. “Lady
Meren…the Legacy…did Michael bring them back here?”

“No, I took possession of them BJ, gave them to Mali
when we returned home.” From Meren.

Mali
nodded. “Yes, they are over the mantle, as you would place them.”

BJ nodded…as much as he did not like to use them, he did
feel…naked, without them. “I had hoped they were not lost.”

Meren smiled. “I will go inform Elspeth of dining needs, you
two go find your children, hmm…and BJ…rest.” A no nonsense tone.

A smile, he heard her, and he would follow the spirit, if
not the letter, of her request. “As ye wish.”

Meren went off muttering something about how stubborn
MacDravens were as patients. Mali
turned to look into BJ’s eyes. “Tell me you are truly well and not just another
dream I am having.”

BJ heard her, and all he did was smile, but he turned back
to Mali, and
met her eyes. “It is no dream. Julien and Miyuki cared for me…Miyuki sat at my
bedside until I was well enough to be released.”

Guarding him or making sure he did not leave without
permission, he was still not sure, but either way, it was appreciated. He spoke
softly, looking at Mali.
“I am here…and well…and…” He trailed off, but kept himself from dropping his
gaze, “I am sorry…to have worried ye.”

She had gotten the tears to stop saturating her face, but
the lashes were still spiky. “It is not your fault….” Though she could go on
like a fishmonger’s wife, just how it was partly his fault, sticking his neck
out there for that creature to just walk up and lop it off.

He spoke softly, “In part it is…and I acknowledge that. I
was…distracted, this time. I shall not be again.”

He brought her close to him, and his lips touched hers
gently, briefly. “All I worried about…was if ye and the children were safe, and
it was the worst feeling, the knowledge that I would not be there to protect
ye, that I had opened the way for ye to be in danger.”

“And for me, the worse feeling was not knowing if I would
ever see you alive again. That you would not be here to teach our children and
watch them growl.”

He did not remember much of his nightmares, but a slight
shiver ran through him anyway, a haunted hint of a voice calling him. He looked
at her, there was no way he heard her right…she had to have said grow…then
speaks softly, “I am here now.”

Before they could get far, Elspeth came hurrying along.
“Master BJ…oh by the saints and Mother Mary, you are fine.”

A slight smile to Elspeth, and a bow of his head. “Aye, I am
well enough.”

Elspeth did look truly pleased. “M’lady says you will be
wanting a nice meal with your little family. Anything special I might fix ya?”

BJ considered, but a shake of his head. “Something simple,
please…do not go through a lot of trouble just for me.”

His arm stayed around Mali,
holding onto her, and he looked to her. “Where are the children, ‘chev?”

Elspeth would do just that anyway. Mali
dropped a few hints for her and Elspeth left them alone. Mali
looked up. “Rae is with Odette, and Jacob is in the library.”

He nodded. “Shall we…collect them? I would like to see
them.”

She nodded and never letting go of him, headed to the
library. BJ moved with her, constantly keeping contact with her as they went
down the corridor. Sure enough the little fellow was in the library with the
tabby dritten. Unlike his littermates, there were no wings. Which made everyone
curious, and a tad fearful of what might yet manifest itself. BJ just stood
there a moment in the doorway, watching…a deep breath, held a second and then
released, watching the child.

The Librarian Sarah was watching over him. A lovely girl,
attentive and bright. They were looking over the book about Lilia that Michael
had had made. BJ moved slowly, but he did not try to avoid making noise, enough
for Jacob to turn, and look up. The boy looked up and smiled. Silently holding
the book up to BJ, perhaps hoping he would share it with him. BJ crouched down
beside Jacob, his voice soft. “Hello, dalharuk…what have ye there?

The boy was every bit as quiet as BJ. Mali
had said nothing to him about the “accident”, he was just used to BJ being gone
and then coming back. Holding up the book, he smiled. “Fairy story”.

BJ chuckled softly, “Really?” He looked down at the book,
and then to Jacob. “Are ye learning to read already?”

Sarah rose and gave a curtsy, “We were just looking at the
hand drawn pictures, sir. He is very bright. Reading
will come easy for him.”

BJ looked to Mali,
he had not be gone that long…but then nods to Sarah, and rises himself, a bow
of his head. “Thank ye.”

Sarah bobbed and went back to her desk. Leaving that copy of
the book for the boy. Mali
smiled as the dritten just crawled up onto Jacob’s lap. Book time over, pet
time started. BJ watched her go, and then looks to Jacob once again, and
squatted on his heels. “Would ye like to bring…your friend to dinner?”
Rather at a loss, and BJ glanced at Mali…what
was the creatures name? She shrugged. Jacob smiled and with the little one
tucked into one arm, and the book offered to BJ, he nodded. “Please?” He was
not the least bit of help in the dritten’s name.

BJ took the book and stood, and a nod. “Of course.”

He returned to Mali’s
side with the boy, and looked at her…but he would ask later about the
relationship. “And Rae is with Odette?”

Mali
nodded. “Of course.” As if that said it all. Who knew what those two were up
to.

BJ nodded, and gave a slight gesture, and a wink at Jacob.
“Shall we collect her?”

They were on the way to pick up Rae from Odette’s room…Mali,
BJ close to her, and Jacob leading the way, the dritten tucked in his arms.
Elspeth most likely was waiting dinner for them, and BJ did not want to
disappoint her by being late.

Yep, she was putting out the feedbag in the small dining
room. Rae was laughing at poor Raj. He had the familiar long suffering
expression of being at the mercy of little girls..again. And looking for scraps
currently was a certain Jack Russell terrier…darting in and out between the
dining room and the kitchen, trying to steal whatever food he could, the floor
being prime ground. Again, in the doorway, BJ stopped to watch Rae for a long
moment…seeing her at play.

She was not the shy, retiring type like her brother. She saw
BJ and was up, over and into his arms in a flash. “Da…you are home.” Raining
kisses to his cheeks.

Watching the girls closely was the Darkrose family
governess. She looked up as the MacDravens arrived, and curtsied. “Lord
Sestaren, Lady Mali.
Good day to you…heh…Lady Rae is a darling, and has been a grand guest for our
Lady Odette.” She smiled, “But…it is wonderful seeing you feeling recovered, My
Lord.”

BJ scooped up Rae and hugged her, and a smile, hiding the
fact that lifting her caused a twinge in his side. “Aye, Rae…I am.”

He put Rae down, and gives her a smile…he was not sure how
much she knew of what happened…but a nod to the Governess. “Thank ye.”

Neither child knew a thing. Mali
insisted on that. Rae wanted to pull him into the room for dress up. Mali
but the skids on it. “Dinner, young lady.
Just the four of us.”

Elizabeth knew
very, very little…just that BJ had been hurt, and it had shaken both families.
She wasn’t really up on social gossip in the house. BJ spoke quietly to Rae.
“Later…but for now listen to Mali.”

Rae excused herself quite properly and Odette smiled and
nodded. She knew important stuff when she saw it. Scrounger was yapping up a
storm as Elspeth was a work, when a small white dragon with small blue
highlights sped over him a few times, leaving freezing gusts of wind she landed
and chided the dog, “Scrounger, no scrounging! Yappydog be quiet!
RangerFriendBJSestaren home and have a good, quiet, happy dinner.”

BJ watched her go, and looked to Mali,
a quirk of a smile. “I see things are…normal here.”

Normal? Oh yeah.
Meren was searching her room for the baby’s new pink blanket, while a small
huge-eyed dragon was cuddled up in it in his tiny lair. The family dog was
loose in the house, the list need not go on, cause yeah it was normal. Mali
just smiled. “We had better get down to dinner, now.”

BJ just had to grin at the little while dragon, and a formal
bow of his head. “Thank ye, Michelle.”

She gave a grand sweeping gesture of thanks accepted. BJ
nodded once more, then held out a hand to Mali.
“Lead the way.”

It took some doing to get everyone seated…what with the
chairs kinda frosted and all. Michelle ducked her head happy with the praise,
preening herself a little. Scrounger was slinking away, making low whining
noises. BJ helped the children settle, and then pulled out Mali’s
chair for her before taking one himself. Scrounger may have heard a low
whistle, Hobbie calling him from the kitchen. Mali
got settled and sighed with obvious relief. The maids brought out the food…as
well as water for BJ, Mali,
and the kids. As each passed by Michele she puffed a bit of frozen breath into
the water.

His first real meal not sitting on a bed, he was relieved…it
would be nice. Mali
gave Michelle a smile of thanks for the cold water. It was much needed. Though
she hoped the food would stay at least warm. So far, so good. Warm venison
stew…wild boar roast…winter vegetables or early spring. BJ sipped the water,
watching his family in turn. Elspeth had a way with squash and carrots that
made them beg to be eaten. Dusk was lounging on a side table, watching her
dritten child. BJ watched all the dishes being brought out, and just had to
look in surprise…he had asked for simple, but then…he knew better.

To Elspeth, this was simple. Food to nourish the eyes and
body both. Fact…if it didn’t look good, no one was going to eat it. After what
BJ had been eating, this was extravagant. Rae was a picky eater, not too unlike
BJ, whereas his was just selective choices. Jacob ate what you put before him,
except haggis. BJ did not want to see an extravagant feast at The Darkrose
Manor. It boggled the mind.

There was also rich breads, heavy with grain and nuts. Michelle
snuck down, and gently lifted a piece of boar and flew off, freezing it solid
before tearing into it. Dusk and her dritten both got some of the bounty. Jacob
was all for sharing. Mali
was indulging everyone tonight. Mostly BJ, her eyes almost never leaving him.
BJ took helpings of all the vegetables, as well as the bread. He was quiet
through the meal, focusing more on the company than the food…content to know
his family was safe. He felt Mali’s
eyes on him, and a glance up, a small smile. Michael had been true to his word.
BJ’s family had been treated and guarded like his own, safe and sound.

Michelle flew back up the stairs, down a hallway and into a
sitting room. “Family happy. Dinner going well. Badlouddoggy go back to Jack’s
room.” She reported, saluting with a wing. Meren just smiled at Michelle,
“Thank you, dear”.

Though they tried, the food at the tower was…not as good. He
settled back, his appetite was not entirely back to normal, and watched his
family quietly. Jacob was sneaking food to the dritten in his lap…to Dusk he
was feeding her openly. Rae picked at her food, but she did eat a little bit of
everything. From somewhere, the maids had laid hands on some fresh hot honey
rolls to sweeten the meal. Mali
was not even sure if she had taken food, or eaten it. Her stomach had a
tendency to just close off when she was upset. BJ laid a hand on the table,
close to Mali,
and looked at her. “Are ye all right?”

Her hand settled over his… “I am now.” She gave him a
squeeze, looking up in time to see Elspeth come out with a nice rich,
multilayered cake oozing a rich, creamy filling. BJ returned the squeeze, and
just held her hand there…and hears the children squeal over dessert.

BJ spoke softly. “Lady Elspeth…ye are too much, but I thank
ye.”

Elspeth stopped long enough to give kisses to Rae and
Jacob’s heads…and BJ’s cheek. “Thank ye, dear.”

That brought a blush to him, and the children giggled,
seeing BJ flustered…but a nod, and squeezed Mali’s
hand once more.

Mali
just laughed, “You do have a way with older women.”

BJ winked to Rae and Jacob, and speaks quietly. “It is
my…boyish charm, I have been told.”

They both giggled…though neither one sure why. Mali
just rolled her eyes. Michelle returned to her post, keeping the water very
cold…not painfully so though. She was learning a lot about how to keep
temperatures right for people. The kids were getting sleepy…that was obvious
though. Tummies full, daddy home, they would sleep peacefully tonight. BJ too
was tiring, though he would not admit it and prove he should not have been
released yet. Home was the best…medicine he could have right now. He also
wondered, once or twice, where he might find a little frosty dragon of his own,
he was liking the cold beverages…but best not to ask Mali
or Meren that, they might find one for him.

Elspeth would agree, cause she kinda declared dinner over
and to let the young couple have some private time. She would personally
oversee getting the wee ones into bed. BJ watched the littles get bundled off,
and then turned a bit in his chair to face Mali.
She reached over and brushed fingers along his jaw. Not eve sure what to say.
Michelle saw the beginnings of Big Human personal time, and flew down…neatly
collecting Dusk and the Dritten in one flyby, each in a set of claws, gently
though. BJ did not say anything, just takes that hand of Mali’s
in his own, and holds them both. ‘Chelle knew the signs. Dusk just grunted at
being picked up but figured it was time to find her bed anyway.

Quietly, BJ needed to know how much had been told, and to
fill in his own gaps of knowledge. “Can ye tell me…what I have missed?”

Mali
nodded. “Well, Durrang and Hobbie drank too much, someone accidentally left the
chicken coop open, they have not caught the fiend who attacked you.”

He listened. “No…but I have her measure, now.”
Mali frowned.
“You stay away from her, BJ. I mean it.”

He was not in the mood to argue, but the point had to be
made. “If I do not end this, she will only come after me again. And again and
again until she has managed to do what she tried this time. But the time shall
be of my own choosing, not hers.”

BJ squeezed her hands. “ I do not make the same mistake
twice. She believes me dead, or at least thinks I walk the twilight between
life and death…unless news of my survival has been leaked?”

Mali
was angry, and it was beginning to seethe. They best just go on upstairs. BJ
did not allow those who hurt him or his own to survive more than one encounter.
That would never change. But now was not the time to argue about it. He rose
quietly, and offered her his hand. “Shall we?”

((word count 3477))
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbMon Mar 07, 2011 4:04 pm

It was after a hot, soaking bath as he lay awake with Mali
in his arms that he continued to plot. He had told Mali
of setting a trap for the Daughter of Celtus, and he continued to plan as he lay
there. He did understand the drive that fueled her, having felt it himself. BJ
needed to get the Elfess alone to avoid harm to anyone else.

Silently he got up from beside Mali,
and went to the desk. There he wrote a note, to be posted on the general boards
that the City kept for its populace. He would meet her at a time of his own
choosing, in a place of his own design. There was a clearing off the road
between the City and the beginnings of Lilia’s Lands, within reach of the
Castle and BJ’s own lands. In three days time, he would meet her.

That morning found him outside, dressed lightly though the
weather was still cold. His swords hung loose at his sides, and he walked to an
open courtyard, a place he had once sparred with Morrigan. Standing in the center,
he took a deep breath, and slowly released it, releasing his tension, his
thoughts, his fears, his anxiety. A soft whisper of steel from leather and the
blade was naked, both hands on the grip. The Ranger held the blade before him,
perpendicular to the ground, tip to the sky; silent salute before he began. He
took a step forward, at the same time bringing the blade up over his shoulder,
and then down across his body. Repeating the motion with the opposite foot and
shoulder, marching his way across the courtyard before turning, moving faster.
He continued once again across the courtyard, the same movements over and over,
faster and faster still until the blade nearly whistled through the air.

He spun then, turning the blade across and over, weaving it
around him as he continued the dance, the remembered lessons. As he moved, he
slid the second blade from its sheath. Now complete with a blade in each hand,
BJ continued his solitary practice. Both blades moved together, and then worked
separately. The elf closed his eyes, dancing in darkness as he spun and turned,
the blades flowing around him. He brought the blades close in and crossed them
downward, then back up and away before suddenly reversing the movements into a
scissoring move. Out and away, his footing was sure across the stones of the
courtyard. He ended his practice as he had begun, slowing to careful, precise
movements.

BJ let his blades drop, his head lowered as he breathing
slowed, his heart rate returned to normal. A mental check noted only the
soreness from disuse, it had been quite a time since he had gone through his
solitary practice. In silence he returned his blades to their sheaths, and
glanced about the courtyard. Still alone, he returned inside to continue his
preparations.
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbWed Mar 09, 2011 3:04 am

Mali could not stay cooped up in the Manor forever. She had needs to take care of. One of which was seeing the Priest and Rabbi for BJ. Durrang was going to be with her and truthfully, she was not afraid. The bronze-scaled Draconian made a formidable sight, sword at his side, wings folded at his back, spells ready to loose to create havoc…though he offered Mali a smile before they set out. Mali had actually grown fond of Durrang. He was so much fun to be around He did however make her swear to never reveal that to another living soul. Nah, Durrang enjoyed having fun…admittedly, his type of fun usually involved a fair bit of chaos, but still…course there was plenty of chaos around here most of the time anyways.

She had places to go, people to see and things to take home. First things first, the Priest. She would see him in BJ’s place, and she was not about to confess anything. Both the rabbi and the priest were expecting BJ, he had not shown for his last appointment, and they were worried. Durrang was not thrilled about seeing religious figures, but he intended to keep the peace. Mali chuckled at him, “Don’t worry. Worst that can happen is you will just go up in flames.” Smiling at him.

“Not if I send them up in flames first. “ Yeah, that was the type of clerics he was used to dealing with.

Mali lowered her voice as they entered, “I will keep that in mind.” Looking around for signs of life.

The Rabbi came out to greet them from the Catholic priest’s office. “Shalom…you are not the ranger.”

Mali blinked, looking him over. “Greetings, you are not the priest.”

The Draco just arched a scaled eyebrow. The Rabbi laughed, “No…I am Rabbi Yosef. Father Peter is in his office. We share a time with the Ranger, tea and conversation.”

Mali nodded. “Ah, he has spoken of you both. I am his wife, Mali.” Not about to risk embarrassment by addressing him wrong.

The Rabbi gestured, and a bow. “Please, this way.”

Then the Rabbi studied the Draco for a long moment…uncomfortable. “You…are also welcome in the house of the Lord.”

“Thanks.” Durrang nodded..well, they hadn’t called him a demon yet, so a better start than most.

“But…” and the Rabbi looked to Mali. “Your husband understood our requirements, that weapons must be tied in peace here.”

Mali was going nowhere without him…but understood the weapons. “Well, um, are you okay with that Durrang?”

The Rabbi was more informed than most, and he knew that God’s creatures came in many forms. Durrang just shrugged, not like the sword was the most dangerous thing about him after all. “Sure.”

Yeah, she was not going to ask him to peace-tie his face. It was a gesture, nothing more, the Rabbi was well aware from the looks of the Draco that if he decided to raise Hell no one would be able to prevent it. Still, Durrang didn’t mind conceding to it, especially if it would help them feel a little more at ease. The duo followed the Rabbi into the office, which instantly felt very small. “Did you receive word about the attack on my husband? Which is why he is not here, and I am.” She was talking too much.

Rabbi Yosef led them into a cozy room, several large chairs, a fire going…Father Peter rose as they entered, and a questioning look to Yosef. The Rabbi shook his head. “We have not heard from the Ranger, and it is not like him to forego our weekly appointment without warning.”

From Peter, “He was attacked? Is he all right?”

Mali nodded, glancing up to Durrang. “Yes, now. He came very close to death.”

The Draconian just sort of leaned in the doorway to try and leave the room a little less crowded. Both were rather shocked, and the Rabbi spoke, “We were worried when we had not heard.”

“I am sorry, I thought you might have gotten word. I came today to make sure you knew he was all right and will come back for his visits soon.”

Yosef nodded, “He is a bright pupil, and eager. Were he born to the faith he would have made a good scholar.”

From Mali, “He does love his studies. Jacob has shown a keen interest in learning as well. Tis why BJ came to you. He wanted to help guide him should he have questions.”

Peter offered tea around, although he did a second take of Durrang before offering him tea. Yosef spoke, “Yes, he has mentioned young Jacob.”

Durrang just smiled slightly and passed on the tea. Yosef gestured to Mali to have a seat, and he took a chair himself, accepting tea from his priestly friend. Mali passed on the tea too but did sit down before her knees buckled. “Is there anything I need to take back to BJ, or to tell him?”

The priest settled as well, and a smile. “No, lass. He would come to us with questions. We would provide relevant sections of the testaments for his reading and he would ask questions.”

She looked between the two of them. “What do you two think of an Elf taking in a little human boy? Raising him as his own, but…well…I don’t even know what I am asking.”

Yosef and Peter looked between them, silent communication between two holy men. Okay, she had overstepped things. “I don’t mean to take up your time. I will be going.”

Yosef spoke, “No, please. We have spoken to the Ranger about such things. He…well, we cannot tell you his confidences, it is against our vows. But I can tell you this, Lady MacDraven…your husband is a good man, and any child would be lucky to have him raise them as his own.

Mali nodded with a little smile. “I have told him that myself. Many times. He is as good a father and husband as one could hope and pray for.” And she meant it just that way.

The priest shifted his weight in the chair, “Your husband, Lady MacDraven…I do not believe I a breaking my vow in telling you this, has many concerns.”

Yosef nodded in agreement. “Our times here are a chance for him to work through his own questions, not only about Jacob, but about himself as well.”

She did stiffen, hearing this. The sense of helplessness didn’t make it any better either. “He has been troubled about things regarding himself. A very long time, actually. Every time I think we make progress and he has found peace, something else or someone else just has to reopen old wounds. Gouge them out and make sure they never truly heal.”

Yosef and Peter nodded, and Yosef spoke, “Lady MacDraven, he questions himself because he wants to be a good man…but he was never taught how. He is so concerned he will make a mistake, and that it will cost him more than he is willing to lose.”

“He needs to learn to trust himself and his decisions. Trust in me, maybe.” That was already costing them as it was.

Yosef nodded. “For your Ranger, trust is a precious thing, and he has such difficulty trusting in himself, he cannot trust others well. But you should hear him speak of you, my Lady.”

Mali rose from her seat and looked the man in the eyes. “I think perhaps I should go. I have other errands before returning home.”

Yosef and Peter also rose, and Peter spoke, “I hope we have not made you uncomfortable, Lady MacDraven. It was never our intention."

“Everyone always says that. After the words are spoken.” From Mali.

Yosef agreed. “But this time we are quite serious. Your husband is an interesting enigma, and we count him amongst our friends.”

Mali nodded. “Keep that in mind, should a time ever come that you feel swayed to believe he is evil.”

The two gave a low chuckle, and Yosef spoke, “Lady MacDraven, there is evil in all of us. The trick is not allowing it to control us.”

[size=16]She was not laughing or even smiling. “The trick is not allowing others to control us.”[/size]

They nodded at that, and Peter spoke. “God controls all things, Lady MacDraven, but He does give us enough free will to decide if we will do as He asks.”

She just held up a hand. “Please, save your speech for the parishioners.” And she would leave it at that. After the things she had seen and dealt with in the name of their chosen beliefs, Mali wanted nothing to do with them.

Yosef smiled. “We understand you need to leave, Lady MacDraven, but our doors are open to you any time, and we look forward to seeing the Ranger again soon.”

Mali nodded and as quietly as possible gathered herself and Durrang. She wanted to get out of this place as soon as possible. Another look passed between the Rabbi and the Priest, and they both rose to see the Lady and her Draco friend out. Durrang straightened, shifting his wings a bit, and followed Mali on their way out.

Once in the cooler air, she calmed. “I am sorry you had to hear that, Durrang.”

He shrugged, “It’s okay. I’ve dealt with way worse religious types before…like the kind that tell mobs to attack you ‘cause you’re evil, or the kinds that want you to fight their war for them….”

Celstarra was perusing the general boards placed for the populace, looking for news of the half-breed’s death. Mali had worked up a fair head of steam back there, for no good reason. They were just people doing what they believed. Same as others. “I think I might consider being a hermit when this is over.” She actually chuckled.

Durrang smiled faintly. “Don’t really recommend it myself, but I wish you good luck.”

Tall, blonde, and deadly, she cursed softly…no news today. He must still be floating in the twilight. The damned half-breed had a strong constitution.

Mali laughed, “Ok, I will consider your recommendation. Say, was I imagining it, or was there a black cat with you earlier?”

“Eh yeah…that would have been Conjure.”

Mali’s brow went up, “Conjureooooohhhh. Oh. She came to visit?” Grateful for some illumination to her thoughts today.

“Yeah,” Durrang nodded with a small smile full of sharp teeth. Mali winced even though she laughed. Regardless of looking and being lethal, he was charming. He chuckled a little as well…ah, there were very few people who would use the word charming to describe Durrang, or any other Draconian.

Celstarra walked down the way, head high and haughty. People moved out of her way, and some made the forked symbol to avoid the evil eye as she passed. The sound of a sharp cry of fear made Mali look up. Likewise the Bozak took a glance around as he noted the sort of ripple through the crowd. She came up upon the woman and her scaly bodyguard, and looked down her nose at having been stopped. Durrang snorted slightly at the scent of an elf that wasn’t a recognized friend.

Her lip curled at the snort, and she looked at the human woman. “Move your overgrown gecko out of my way, Human.

Mali just raised a brow. “Watch where you are going. Simple enough.”

Durrang gave another snort, and this one was accompanied by trails of smoke and a few sparks from his nostrils, his burning red eyes narrowing. “Why don’t you move, leaf-eater.”

That brought a low chuckle from Celstarra. “It speaks! Perhaps it is more intelligent than it looks.” She gave a smile that could curdle milk, and her hand dropped to her wands, fingering one.

“More than I could say in your case…and considering you don’t look all that bright, that’s really saying something….” Years of old hatred didn’t have a hard time resurfacing, thought Durrang. Friction would be a serious understatement. There was something about her though that nagged at Mali.

“Be careful, Lizard, or you will find yourself being a nice new pair of boots.”

“You be careful, pointy-ears…your skin’s too weak and soft to make good boots, but I bet your innards taste all right….” He gave a smile that displayed every last tooth in his mouth, flexing large, strong hands that bore claws a wildcat would approve of.

Mali put a hand up on Durrang’s arm. “You would be well advised to just keep on moving, Madam. No one caused you any trouble.”

Celstarra took a step back defensively, and a wand was in her hand. “I will not be spoken to like that by the likes of you.” She looked to the human woman. “You would do well to keep your pet in check.”

Durrang laughed derisively, a dark blue light flickering around his right hand. “Well you may not have noticed, but I’ve already spoken that way to you…score one for elven observance, huh?”

“You already have been spoken to that way, and he is a free being here.” Mali’s eyes taking in every detail of the woman.

Celstarra changed tactics then, and a sly grin to the Draco. “Well…if you hate my kind so much, perhaps I have use for you. I would pay well for information, and better for you to deal with a little…problem.”

“You might want to take into account that bad things tend to happen to people that try to make use of Draconians….” And that wasn’t even spoken as a threat or an insult…there were a lot of Dragon Highlords that things hadn’t gone well for.

Celstarra’s smile faded a bit. “I am looking for a half-breed bastard who cannot seem to die.”

Mali pushed back on Durrang suddenly. Her free hand going to her side beneath her cloak. “Daughter of Celtus, perhaps it is you who should die.”

Durrang’s burning eyes narrowed slightly at the elf’s words, and then at Mali’s. “Well son of a goblin-spawned chorak…or maybe daughter would be more appropriate…”

Sudden realization of who this was brought out fear and anger such as Mali had not known in a very long time. The Elfess gave a nasty smile, “Celstarra…at your service.”

And with that he leaned his head back…then snapped it forward, opening his jaws wide…and lightning poured from between his teeth in a vicious gout aimed at the would-be murderer. Sarcasm came easily for Celstarra, and the wand twitched in her hand, creating a shield that blocked the lightning. It crackled over the shield and she could feel the electricity along her skin. Right behind it came claws that left a blue trail in their wake going for that skinny elf throat as he drew his short sword with his other hand, leathery wings spreading wide. Mali pulled a sword from beneath her cloak, and as fast as humanly possible, swung the blade at the creature’s shield-holding arm.

Celstarra scrambled back, and in doing so grabbed the first physical shield she found, a human child. Holding it before her, she snarled, “Back off, Lizard…and you too, human. I have no trouble decreasing the population.”

Her wand she replaced as she took out a dagger blade curved like a talon. Mali had gone after her, only to stop short seeing the child. “You coward!”

“If that kid gets even a bruise, I promise I’ll be especially creative with you.” Durrang stood ready to strike again.

A cruel smile from Celstarra. “A brave soul would have killed the child to get to me.”

He snorted, “A brave soul would’ve fought the draconian…” Durrang stated pure fact. Mali would never harm a child, regardless.

Celstarra stepped back another pace, dragging the child with her. “But this is not the fight I am seeking…I will be having another appointment with the half-breed…if he lives.”

“Let the child go.” Mali’s hand bone white around the hilt of her sword. “Unharmed!”

“When I am safely away.” From Celstarra.

“Oh, don’t worry, I’ll be sure to tell him you’re still lurking around and as craven as ever…now you’re going to put that kid down, and do what your kind does best, run like Udun while I chase you.

Celstarra gave a smile, “So he *does* still live…for now.”

Durrang snorted derisively, some more sparks flying. “Yes, he lives…and he’ll still live a week from now, which will be more than you’ll be able to safe for yourself.”

She snorted. “When I am done with the abomination, Lizard…I might just decide I need a new pair of boots.”

“You know, your threat would be more frightening if you weren’t afraid to fight me…gonna go hide in a tree and hope a branch falls on me? I’ve killed people with pointy ears who had a lot more guts than you, chorak.

Celstarra continued to step back, she knew she was outnumbered, and would rather save her fight for the one she wanted. Dragging the child with her still, she kept her dagger close to its throat.

“Tell you what, I’m not unreasonable…when I eat you, I’ll be sure to serve a salad on the side so you won’t feel alone.” Durrang didn’t follow, for the child’s sake, but he had a volley of arcane destruction ready to loose on her the moment she tried to hurt the kid. The elven fool would not get away with ease. That was damn certain.

Once she was far enough away, she tossed the child into the gutter, and turned tail. It was easy to get away, she had memorized these local streets, and a soft word of the arcane caused her to vanish. Even though he knew it wasn’t likely to catch her, he let loose a trio of fire beams after her anyway. Mali was after the child an instant later. Shielding her from any further chance of harm. The child was crying hysterically, but otherwise unharmed.

Durrang snarled as he went after the would-be murderer and found her to have already vanished, then quickly moved back to Mali. “Looks like she got away…unlikely I did more than singe her ears.”

The girl’s hysterical mother came and claimed her, leaving Mali unleashing a stream of Gaelic curses that would make the Druids rise up in anger. Durrang meanwhile was dealing with guards who’d shown up. He didn’t see any of the guys he knew among them, but the Draconians’ reputation preceded them and they knew of him at least.

It would be dark by the time the two returned “home”. Exhausted emotionally, mentally, and now physically. Still angry too. Durrang’s tail lashed behind him as they came back to the manor, already thinking what to say to report the incident. Mali knew BJ was going to be upset. Mildest word she could think of. BJ was pacing, it was nearly dark, and they had *promised* they would be home before then…his mind was going to dark places.

He’d probably hear Durrang open the door, even if he wasn’t right there…he didn’t do so very quietly. BJ heard the door open, and he had a blade in his hand and was almost to the foyer before he realized he carried a naked blade. The Bozak saw BJ coming, and offered a salute, looking grim as a death knight. Mali just looked as if she had declared war on someone. She had. BJ put the blade away quickly, seeing the Draco, and behind him, Mali.

BJ gave a nod to Durrang, and moved to Mali. “What happened?”

“We ran into Celstarra.” Mali going right to the meat of the matter.

BJ growled softly, “I told you to leave her to me!”

“We didn’t go looking for her, BJ…though she’s still alive, was too cowardly to let me fix that for her…”

He looked to Durrang. “That does not matter if you went looking for her or not.”

Mali growled right back. “She ran into us. Right after we left the Church.”

BJ moved right to Mali, and looked her over for damage. She looked back at him, being turned and twisted for inspection. “I am fine.”

The Elf nodded, still looking her over. “How are Father Peter and Rabbi Yosef?”

“They probably think you are wed to some heathen.” She swatted his hands away.

BJ gave a small smile. “No…I have told them about ye. They are not…demanding converts. I made it clear in my first visits that I was not choosing their Way…but that I would not prevent my children from choosing if it was their wish.”

Mali decided she would tell him about their visit later then.

BJ looked to Durrang. “She got away?”

He nodded. “Ran off, despite all my polite invitations to dinner I gave her…”

BJ smiled. “I am sure ye were most polite, Durrang.”

Mali nodded. “He even offered salad.” She was proud of him for that one.

Durrang chuckled a bit…why couldn’t more elves be like BJ? Apparently a stick shoved where the sun don’t shine keeps out humor. “If you want my help gutting her, you have it.”

That smile faded, and BJ was quite serious. “I thank ye for the offer, but it will not be necessary.”

Mali was with Durrang on that one. She wanted to help as well.

“My notice to her shall be posted on the morrow…although I take it she already knows I am alive?”

Mali nodded, and looked up at the Draco. “Oh, yeah. She knows.”

Durrang nodded. “Yeah…and she was quite insistent on saving herself for you instead of letting me eat her…would be worth it.” He nodded again definitively, “I tell you what, it’s your fight, BJ, so if you say you don’t need me, then I respect that…and I’ll be happy to watch over your kids and all while you’re after her.”

BJ chuckled softly. “I am afraid she may give ye indigestion, my friend.” Then he nodded, “That will be…appreciated, for ye to keep Mali and the children safe.”

“No problem…I could wish she had the guts to try coming here just so I could throttle her, but I’m pretty sure she doesn’t.”

The Ranger spoke quietly, “I hope she does not know of this place.”

Mali stood there, hands on hips, annoyed that they were talking over her head. BJ still stood close to Mali, quietly inspecting her. Durrang wasn’t talking over anyone’s head…well, he might be, but that was just based on height,, and he couldn’t help that. Well, she was pretty short. BJ was still not happy about the fact that they had encountered the Elfess, but then, he guessed perhaps it could not have been helped. Mali still had to explain to Rae why she wasn’t able to pick up the dolls she wanted. There would be tie yet though. Safe time.

((word count 3816))

Last edited by Sestaren on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : font size)
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbWed Mar 09, 2011 2:38 pm

BJ wandered the rooms, looking about, looking in fact for the
children. He checked quietly as he went, looking in each room, first the most obvious places, the kitchen,
the library. Rae was with Odette in the library having lessons. Jacob…they had
not seen him. BJ gave a smile and a few words with the girls before he
continued looking for Jacob. Elspeth came by and smiled up at him. “Are ya
feeling more fit, Sir? Could I get ya anything?”

He gave a slight smile. “Aye, I am well, Lady…but I was
wondering if ye could tell me where Jacob is?”

She nodded. “Oh yes sir. He is with Lady Meren down at the
stables. A new foal arrived and she was checking the wee thing over.”

BJ gave a nod. “Thank ye.”

Elspeth dipped a curtsy and went back to her chores. The day
was clear, bright, and showed signs of warming up past frigid. Bj bowed his
head, and then headed for the stables, looking for Jacob and Meren.

Just follow he sound of a yapping terrier and a hissing ct.
Can’t miss them “Scrounger, I swear if you do not stop harassing the kitten, I
am gonna sprout wings and spit fire.” Trying to catch the hyper beast.

BJ came upon them soon enough, and a laugh, hearing Meren. “That
is something that I may want to see.”

Scrounger turned his attentions on the Ranger, yapping at
him. It was like someone wound the dog up and let him go. Meren just huffed,
hands on hips. “Michael swears I already do.”

BJ raised a hand in surrender, then crouched down and let
Scrounger come yap at him, then scooped the dog up firmly under his arm,
pressing a finger to the dog’s nose. “Hush.”

Scrounger gave a small yelp, hushed, and then began licking
BJ’s fingers. Meren just smirked. “I wonder if you could teach me that?”

BJ gave a small smile. “Ye must just show him ye are to be
obeyed.”

He spoke softly to the dog in his ear, and then set him
down. Meren’s brow rose. “What did you say to him?” She knew her threats only
worked just so long.

BJ again gave a smile, and he watched the dog run off, tail
in the air, toward the kitchens, then the elf turned back toward Meren. “That
ye would stop giving him meat if he continued to be difficult.”

Meren rolled her eyes. “He should be so lucky.”

The kitten was still watching them all from the top of the
stall wall, a good six feet plus up. BJ looked up at the kitten, and a wink. “I
was told I could find Jacob here.”

Jacob was on the other side of the stall wall looking up at
the drittten, smiled at his Da. BJ gave a grin to the child, as if he had just
seen him. “Hello, Jacob. Elspeth told me I could find ye here.”

Jacob nodded and looked up just in time to catch the dritten
as it jumped into his arms. BJ looked at Meren and spoke softly. “It seems
Jacob has made a strong friend here.”

Meren nodded. “Mhmmm. I don’t think they have been apart for
very long at all.” The boy was softly caressing silky ears as if they were the
most amazing things.”

BJ shook his head, watching Jacob with the kitten. “No, I
believe ye are right. That kitten is with him even while he sleeps. I am not
sure what to tell him when we have to leave it here.”

Meren shrugged rather innocently. “You don’t have to…leave
him here I mean.”

BJ looked to Meren. “I could not ask to take your pet, Lady....
But…if ye did not mind…perhaps we could…foster it?”

It took everything she had to *not* beg BJ to take the
kitten. “Well…we are rather overwhelmed by animals here. I really don’t feel I
am giving the little fellow all the attention he needs. He is special, you
know.”

BJ quirked a brow at that. “How so?”

With all the dogs, and the other livestock Mali had
inherited or ended up with he was not sure he needed something “special” to
care for as well. Jacob seemed to hold the kitten more securely. A sincere
expression of determination on his face. Meren cleared her throat. “The daddy
is a dragon.”

BJ chuckled softly. “Is that all? But I see no…wings,
nothing obvious than a regular feline.” He
looked to Jacob. “Have ye noticed anything, Jacob?”

The boy just shook his head. The kitten didn’t like dogs but
that was something of a given. Meren nodded, and spoke. “far as I have found
out, the whole litter ‘cept this one, has developed wings. Odd thing, is well,
they seem to be taking on traits of their humans.”

BJ gave a slight nod, and leaned over to give the kitten a scratch
behind the ears. “Then perhaps this kitten is special…in that he is just a
kitten.”

“I think perhaps he has not manifested any of his father’s
talents, because he is just now bonding with someone.” And the someone being
Jacob, there was no telling what that furball might become.

A nod as he considered that. “It is quite possible.” Then he
looked to Meren, “But I was told he was yours.”

But that then questioned if the kitten actually bonded with
her, and he looked at Jacob, then Meren. “What is its name? I cannot keep
calling the kitten ‘it’.”

Meren smiled. “Cats decide who they belong to, not us.” She
excused herself on some business, leaving the father and son to work the rest
out. BJ just nodded, he had heard that bit of wisdom before. Jacob looked up at
BJ, silent, reserved, waiting.

BJ spoke quietly, “So Jacob…do ye know their name?”

The boy shook his head, he spoke as quiet as BJ. “He had not
told me yet.”

That brought a small smile. “So they talk to you as well?”

BJ settled on a hay bale, and gestured for Jacob to sit next
to him. “The animals, I mean…do they speak to ye?”

For BJ it was as much recognizing gestures and looks,
interpreting their vocalizations as it was true speech. For a human it might be
a bit different, but then, for a child, anything was possible. Jacob took the
time to get settled on the bale, kitten comfy in his arms. “Only this one.”

BJ nodded, and gave the kitten another scratch. “That is not
unusual, Jacob…for our friends to speak to us, each in their own way.”

Jacob nodded. No one would believe him anyway. “I will leave
him here, Da, it will be ok.”

BJ turned slightly, to look at the boy. “But Lady Meren has
said ye could have him, and I am fine with that as well…I do not think Mali
will let me separate the two of ye anyway.” He spoke softly, “I have learned,
Jacob, that all children need a friend to tell their secrets to…and I think ye
have found that friend in this kitten.”

The boy looked so relieved and put a kiss between the kitten’s
ears. “Thank ye, Da.” It was true. He and the dritten had long talks, and they
told each other things no one else would ever know of

BJ nodded. “But ye will have to explain to Beast and Junior
how we ended up with another cat.” Teasing the child gently, “They already
complain to me.”

BJ considered a long moment, then looked at Jacob. “Ye know…ye
may ask me anything, aye?

Jacob nodded, and smiled faintly. “Are you happy?” A simple
enough question from the innocent heart of a child.

That brought a small chuckle from BJ, and he nodded. “Here,
with ye and Mali and Rae…aye, I am.”

“And without us?” He made it sound as if happiness only came
when the family was together.

BJ considered. “I…miss ye when I am not with ye. That is why
I try very hard to be here every night before your bedtime, so I can see ye and
Rae.”

“When are we going home, Da?” He enjoyed it here. It felt
like home, yet, not like home. Hard to explain.

“To Ravenshire? Very soon, Jacob. I must take care of
something first.”

Jacob looked a little sad. Those large, expressive eyes of
his regarding the man he knew as his Papa. “Please be careful, I don’t like
hearing mama cry.”

BJ gave what he thought was a reassuring smile. “I will,
Jacob…I do not like to make Mali cry.”

The dark-haired boy gave him that brave little smile of his.
“Ok.”

“And while I am gone, ye will be good, aye? I know ye
already are, but will ye be extra good?”

Jacob nodded and held up the dritten. “We both will be.”

BJ smiled, and he ruffled the boy’s hair. “Good. Then I will
make ye a promise as well.”

They both seemed to perk up. “You will?”

BJ nodded. “I promise to come home safe.” He held out a hand
to the boy, his palm up. “Is that a deal?”

Jacob shifted the kitten, but not only does a small human
hand end up in BJ’s palm, so does a tiny paw.

BJ gently shook them both, and smile. “Ye keep each other out of trouble,
aye?”

It sounded like a double ‘aye’, but that’s not possible is
it? Anything was possible, and he made a silent promise to himself not to let
the child down, or Rae, or Mali, or the Queen, or anyone else. He planned on
surviving.

((Word count 1613))
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbWed Mar 09, 2011 2:40 pm

Curse him, that damned half-breed was still alive. That
woman and her scaly pet hadn’t been lying. Celstarra ripped the “notice” down
from the boards, crumpled it in her hands. She snarled to no one in particular,
but those closest to her backed away. She was furious, and it showed as she
moved away from the boards and down the narrow streets. Avoiding the increased
patrols meant some creative traveling, and out of sight for the moment, she
took a feather from her pouch, and waved it around her, muttering. Once she had
levitated to the rooftop, she continued her travels, moving silent and fast. It
did not take her long to get back to the rooms in the abandoned building she
had commandeered for her own use.

There she prepared herself, fuming. If the abomination
wanted a fight, she would give it to him. And she planned on winning. Celstarra
chose her weapons carefully. Wands were checked and chosen, Haste, Invisibility,
Spiders, Lightning…she chose two more at random from her collection. Her sword
she honed to razor’s edge, pity she did not have someone to test it on first,
but it would taste blood soon enough.

It would take her a full day to get to where BJ’s directions
told her to meet him, and she did not want to be late. In fact, she wanted to
be early.
Back to top Go down
Sestaren
Newb
Sestaren

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbThu Mar 10, 2011 4:30 am

Bj had chosen where to hold the final
confrontation well. He had studied the area on maps in Michael's library, and
he knew this area from his many trips between Land’s End and the Castle. The
clearing was enclosed on all sides by thick brush and forest, heavy vegetation.
An animal path ran through a break in the trees into the clearing.

He had dressed appropriately for the event.
Sturdy boots, leathers and a heavy long-sleeved shirt that would protect him to
an extent. The Ranger considered for a moment his dwarven chain but realized
that the shirt was in Ravenshire, and would take too long to retrieve. At his
hips the Legacy hung, honed and sharp, loose in their sheaths. As well a
dagger, double edged and razor sharp, hung just before the sword on his left
hip. A dark colored, heavy cloak completed the gear.

The Ranger arrived to the clearing in the
early morning before sunrise. He watched the sky lighten as the sun appeared. Light
filtered through the bare tree-tops, highlighting the beginnings of new growth
and dispelling the low-lying mist. He heard a sound and turned, an easy smile
on his lips that did not reach his eyes, they remained cold, detached,
calculating. “About time ye showed up, Daughter of Celtus. Did ye get lost?”

Celstarra was dressed much as she had been
upon first coming ashore, her hair done back in a braid. Calf high boots and
leathers, a tunic that allowed for ease of movement. Her sword sat on her right
hip and the wands lined her left. She gave a nasty smile, “Did I keep ye
waiting, my Sestaren?”

BJ gave a soft growl at her possessive tone,
and he returned her smile with a slight one of his own. He slid a blade out of
its scabbard, and cradled it in his arm, the hilt downward, the tip over his
shoulder. “Waiting is a trivial thing. I would prefer ye left me be and in
peace, but it seems that shall not happen. So I will do what I must, as I did with
your father.”

She spat, “My father should have killed you
when you were born, half-breed. But I will take great pleasure in doing so now.”

Celstarra drew a wand, and spoke a quiet word
of command. While she did so BJ went on the defensive, facing her fully and
having his blade out before him, prepared to deflect what she sent at him. The
wand spit a few sparks, and she gave a smile as the spell took effect…Haste.
Then she looked at BJ, and dropped that wand, another appearing in her hand
faster than his eye could follow. She spit out a word, and a half-dozen
eight-legged beasties appeared.

Spiders. Ugh, after that incident with
Michael against the Drow Lich, he had found a certain intolerance for the
arachnid kind. The creatures were the size of fat city rats, bloated with their
own venom as they scuttled toward him. He could hear their mandibles clacking
as he swept through them, blade flashing as he cut the first two swiftly in
half in one stroke, and then stomped on a third. The fourth and fifth were destroyed
by his backstroke, and he pinned the sixth on the tip of his sword. It’s legs
curled as he flicked it off the end of his blade in disgust. His defense was
over in seconds, the creatures defeated with a minimum of effort, but it was
enough of a distraction that he turned once more to face her she was fading
from view.

“Xsa!” BJ flicked his blade toward her, and
he caught her just before she faded completely into invisibility, limning her
in purple Faerie Fire. She uttered a hollow laugh, her outline moving in a blur
across the clearing.

“So you did learn some of your Lachenn father’s
magics. How surprising, considering Father worked to teach you to hate and fear
magic.” She winked back into sight, and BJ turned swiftly to follow her. His
blade lead the way as he kept her before him.

“Your father taught me to hate myself,
Celstarra, and it took me a long time to learn that I was not the one to be
hated. But his lessons are in my past. I have learned that I am what I wish to
be, that I am not an *abomination*, as he called me, but more an aberration. I
am a Ranger. I am a Husband and Father. Ye cannot change those things. I have learned
to love, and I have found again what it is to be loved in return. Ye cannot
take that away from me.” BJ moved closer to her, slowly, as he spoke,
distracting her with words until he worked to coming within striking distance.
He slashed, only to have her dance away, her mocking laughter in his ears.

“You do not own me, any more than your father
did, Daughter of Celtus. I ended the power he had over me, broke the bond he
controlled me with. You have no power over me. I am not your slave, and I never
will be!” He slashed again, and was rewarded with a hiss, he had scored a
grazing cut to her forearm. Blood welled, it was more a scratch than a true
cut, the edge of his blade had just caught her.

“No, because you will be dead, and not even
your precious hervess will remember you when I am done. I will take great
pleasure in tearing apart her mind, my Sestaren. And your overgrown Lizard pet,
I will have great enjoyment tormenting him until he curses the fact that he was
ever your friend.” She held a wand in her hand, and hissed a command.
Flechettes flew at him, and though he was able to avoid the brunt of the
attack, he still grunted as some found their way through his defense, scoring
across his shoulders, one painful line across his flank, and a single
needle-sharp dart imbedded itself in his thigh.

The flechette was painful, and he took a
moment to pull it from his leg. Those wounds bled freely, and he pulled his
second blade, watching Celstarra. “Time for us to end this, Daughter of Celtus.
Time for ye to see your father again.”

The elfess just sneered. She crooked a finger
and made a sign. BJ could not understand the word she spoke, but he learned
quickly what it meant. Pain flared in his right side, and he nearly dropped his
sword. A grunt of exhaled breath, and he doubled over. There was almost
unbearable warmth, and a trickle of wetness he knew to be blood without even
looking. But her soft cry of surprise made it obvious to him that her spell had
not worked as she had planned, and he fought to straighten himself.

Celstarra had tossed the wands once they were
expended, and she had now a fourth wand in her hand. She was close to him, very
close. Energy crackled around the end as she pointed it at BJ, and flicked it
toward him, a gout of lightning coming from the end. He was to be hit point
blank, and all he could do was tuck his swords in close and crouch down.

His amulet saved him, that same one that he
had shown to prove himself upon his return from the twilight, retrieved from
Mali that same night. Donut-shaped smooth stone he had worn for decades on a
leather thong. Underdark stone, that had kept its own magic, allowed him to use
his own innate abilities, and had even absorbed some magic from the time the
Ranger had dabbled in surface magic. When he crouched, a shield formed around
him, domed energy that he could not entirely control, but that somehow came
into play when he most needed it. The lightning flashed, splashed over the
shield dome, and BJ could feel the energy crackling over him, could smell the ozone
as the shield kept the lightning at bay. The brightness blinded him, and he
could hear more than see when the Elfess drew her blade, came running at him as
he knelt there blinking.

Swordplay is all about timing, and BJ waited,
then raised his blade to block hers, the force jarring his arm and nearly
knocking him forward. He managed to bring his second blade to bear, a low slash
that caught her across her abdomen, and this time it was no glancing blow.
Celstarra dropped her sword to keep her entrails from falling as she went to
her knees. BJ stood slowly, and stepped back, kicking her sword out of the way,
out of her reach. He was breathing heavily, and his defenses were down as he
stood to her side.

“Hurts, does it not? A fatal wound, if not
treated, and we are far from any help. But I can end your misery.” The Beast
had been raised, and it wanted her to beg for mercy, for death. BJ struggled to
keep the Beast reigned, and it was a short moment that his features twitched,
twisted, the fires flared in his eyes before dimming once more. Just a short
moment before he returned to that detached state he kept, that tight control.

He leaned a bit closer to her, and spoke
softly. “This ends it.”

BJ stuck his blade in the ground, and then
stood behind Celstarra, and just to the side. She had not uttered a word,
speechless in the inability to understand how this had happened, how she had
lost. His other sword he held loose in his hand, and he raised it over his
shoulder, both hands on the grip. It was a simple slash, and one he had
practiced more times than he could count. A second, the blade went easily
through flesh, through bone, and her head took another second before finding
itself separated from her body. It was a clean cut, and the head rolled but a
few feet, braid intact, while the body crumpled.

Only when it was done, when she was dead, did
he slump forward, and drop to one knee. The physical wounds he had sustained
would heal, they were minimal, but it was the emotional pain, that severing of
the last tie to his first home that cut deep. With that pain there was also a
feeling that a weight was lifted, and just as severing that last tie hurt, it
also gave him true freedom. BJ spent several minutes collecting himself before
he gathered his swords. He wiped them off carefully in the grass, and then on
her clothing before sheathing them once more.

The sun had just reached its zenith when he
had the pyre complete, her body upon it. He would consign her to smoke and
flame, and keep her from returning to the earth. Flint and steel lit the pyre,
and he moved back while the fire licked at the tinder, catching and then
working toward the larger pieces of wood. Her head he had set off to the side,
away from the fire and the chance that it would catch sparks. It would be
preserved when he returned to the Manor. In silence he stood watching her body
consumed by the flames, reduced to ash.

Only when the flames had died to embers did
he speak. “
Xal dosst quortek ragar gre'as'anto, dosst dro zhah
kkuuth. Nindol zhah lil kku, gaer zhal tlu nau mzild.”

The Ranger collected her wands gingerly, placing them in
a leather bag. Perhaps he would ask one of the Mages the best way to dispose of
them properly. The last thing he did was collect her head. He had already
placed it in a bag to protect it from insects, and to keep her from staring at
him. It was disconcerting. Only then did he scatter the ashes, and turn the embers
to make sure they were cooled. It was a long journey back to the Manor, but it
was a trip he would be glad to make.

((For reference the following translations are offered:

Xsa = Damn.

Hervess = wife

Lachenn = deep elf, i.e. Drow

Xal dosst quortek ragar gre’as’anto, dosst dro zhah
kkuuth. = May your soul find peace, your life is finished.

Nindol zhah lil kku, gaer zhal tlu nau mzild = This is
the finish (end), there shall be no more.))
Back to top Go down
Byron Meldrum 3
Story Book Author
Byron Meldrum 3

Occupation/Titles : Being King
Humor : Heh, being King
Number of posts : 347

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father IconbThu Mar 10, 2011 3:46 pm

((OUTSTANDING!! What an excellent read! Thank Shan.))
Back to top Go down
http://castleofthemoors.com/
Sponsored content

Sins of the Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sins of the Father   Sins of the Father Iconb

Back to top Go down

Sins of the Father
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next