Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleriaGalleria  Latest imagesLatest images  SoluriusSolurius  DMoSDMoS  HealersHealers  CourtiersCourtiers  ApplicationsApplications  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
« Farewell Banquet Oct 10-13, 2014! «» Write your characters ending! »

Latest topics
» DrachenFyre
A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbFri May 24, 2019 11:52 am by DrachenFyre

» NEW HORIZONS
A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbSat Sep 06, 2014 7:33 pm by LadySheehan

» Kyriah! Demon-Slayer!
A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbFri Sep 05, 2014 12:19 pm by XvXKyriahXvX

» Healer's Training Never Ends
A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbThu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm by LadySheehan

» Dish Network Troubleshooting Second Tv
A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbTue May 14, 2013 1:33 am by Guest

SOLURIUS ROOMS
* Denotes AOL room
All others are AIM
Grand Hall *
The Key & Crown Tavern *
The Peacock & Raven Inn *
Ales 'n Tales Tavern *
Bards and Bannocks Inn *
Gardens
Solurius Ballroom
Joust Arena
Oakley Court Downs
Emerald Cove
Savage Winds
Meldrum Forest
Induction Chamber

A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

ME : Height: 6'7" for now
Weight: 250 for now
Hair color: Black for now
Eye color: Green for now

I can speak to the dead. Ghosts or those that have passed on. Up or Down
I can pull them from where they rest.
I can take them into me. Their memories, personalities, and mannerisms. This alters the way I look. Making me a menagerie of what they were in life and myself. The process is quite painful.

Widower and once a father to two little girls.
Occupation/Titles : The Caretaker of Lost Souls
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-06-30

A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night Empty
PostSubject: A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbSat Jul 02, 2011 9:26 pm

2nd of Julius 1470

Sitting I watch my lovely wife and daughters at the city well. They are pulling the bucket up from the bottom of the well to retrieve water to make dinner. I can hear them laughing, the corner of mouths turning upward with happiness. However I could just not make out their entire faces for they are focused on the bucket and they were looking down upon it.

Once it reached the top, Lily splashed her mother sending them into a giggling burst of joy. The water that landed on my wife hair then started to dampen, sending it from a lustrous brown to a dark chocolate. Amelia, my youngest scooped up some of the water from the bucket and drank it, letting the cool water quench her parched throat. She excitingly told her sister and mother to drink it as well.

It was then when I noticed the water. Lily’s cupped hands were leaking some of the water between her fingers. The water was black and oily and my family was drinking it over and over. I called out to them.

“Stop!” my worried voice called to them

“The water is foul. Do not drink anymore!” I yelled again as I rose from my seat.

Then they all three turned in unison to look at me. Pale faces, shrunken cheeks and dark circles around their eyes. Their hair falling from their scalps to the stone paved road in clumps. Lips are blue and black from the chill of long death frosting the flesh of their lips. They opened their mouths to speak to me, but only a pouring of black oily water spewed forth to the ground.

I turned my head in revulsion before I looked back to them with grief and remorse.

“Father you promised to take care of us.” Lily harrowingly spoke to me in a haunting whisper.

“Take care of us” they said together as they shambled towards me. Their bodies are decaying more and more with every step.

Just then their voices were just one and not either of theirs.

“Time to take care of them.” A hollow male voice said to me.

The man, a middle age fellow, Robert his name is, walked right through my over active grief’s imaginations forced phantasm. As he glided through the scene, the images all just dissipated like mist and fizzled out.

“Get up! The tower has moved and we are in a new Kingdom. It is time to go look at our new guests.” He said as I stood.

Outside of the tower it was night and a large wooded field of grave markers was around the tower. Any on looker of the graveyard would notice the Tower but think that it had always been there. The tower sends out a pulse that alters the memories of any that look at it.

“What name are you going to have here Caretaker?” my assistant Robert asked.

Looking over some of the stone markers I made a new moniker. Seeing the name William, the age from the weathering of the area had almost wiped away the first half of the name, so I took what was left. Then the grave stone to the right had Angus for a first name and that would be a good middle name. Last behind me a crumbled stone had its pieces all over the high grass by its base. The letters I could see were, al’ and Ias. So I took them all.

“Liam A al’Ias” I said as I rolled the new name off my tongue. It felt good and right.

“Yes. It will do.” I added.

“Yes, M’lord it fits. The souls of the lost will know you as thus now.” Robert said.

“We have a long night ahead of us. Let us start on seeing whom we have as guests while we are stationed here.” I said as I moved to an unmarked grave.

“Speak to me” I said in a whisper to the earth with a forceful intention.

“Speak to me” again I said but with words moving so slow out of my mouth.

A wisp of glowing fog rose from the ground. A quiet song of choirs spilled from the fog. I reached my hand and grabbed the fog. Pulling it from the ground and the soul of a young lady about 20 appeared in my hands. I release her from my grasp and she fully formed in front of me.

“You have summoned me. I wish to return to Heaven, may I leave?” She asked with a willowy voice.

“After I learn from you whom you were in life and what you did in it, I will release you back to the warmth embrace of heaven.” I said.

She nodded and began to tell her tale.

I am in a new realm and those souls living or dead that are in dire need will find me by the will of Saint Jude. I will aid them in their desperation and bring them peace by any means necessary. I am charged by the Saint to be the Caretaker of Lost Souls and Causes. I am the guardian in the night.
Back to top Go down
Byron Meldrum 3
Story Book Author
Byron Meldrum 3

Occupation/Titles : Being King
Humor : Heh, being King
Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2007-09-25

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbTue Jul 05, 2011 7:31 pm

(Wow! Excellent writing! More, more!!)
Back to top Go down
http://castleofthemoors.com/
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

I can take them into me. Their memories, personalities, and mannerisms. This alters the way I look. Making me a menagerie of what they were in life and myself. The process is quite painful.

PostSubject: Case # 1 First Impressions   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbTue Jul 05, 2011 8:45 pm

[size=12]5th of Julius 1470 in Unknown Kingdom

I sat down at my desk today tired from the last two night’s work in the graveyard. I spoke to many souls and had at least half a roster list compiled. Leaning back into my chair is a mistake but I do it anyways. Just a quick two minutes of shut eye would not hurt. I should not do it. My wife would if she saw me doing this very thing, smack me across the head. So I did not go to sleep. Instead I poured myself a glass of red wine and sat back into my chair. This would keep the sands of sleep from my eyes tonight. A French red. My eyes seem heavy as I looked up to a figure. My wife was standing not far, right over by the table.

She smiles to me with her large apple red luscious lips as she sips from her wine flute. My wife’s sparkling blue eyes dance with a twinkle ever since we tied the knot some seven years ago. She always told me that she married thinking that we would live in a shack and never amount to anything by our love. She admitted only once that she was wrong on that prediction. We have two wonderful and bright girls, a good size keep not far from the city I and my men protect, and an ever loving marriage with only the normal hitches that most married couples go through.

She laughs to me sitting here daydreaming at the desk where I truly spend too little time at. Ever procrastinating my parchment work needed to calm the quill-necks that run any form of organization. My liege lord ever the dutiful man constantly hounds me for more updates and the why you spend this on this. I laugh myself as I raise a glass of my own. Sipping the cool red French wine, letting the bitter taste run over my tongue and gums before imbibing it down my throat. The full bodied flavor of the grapes and hints of raspberries are soothing my thirst and quenching my need for a bit of inhibitions.

Rebecca started to pour me and herself another glass of the fine wine when I noticed the dark red of wine was no more. Bile looking black oily liquid was curdling out of the flagon into my glass then hers. I stood up and tried to swat her glass from her hands but I was too slow.

Now, Now, dear drink you own. This is all mine.” Rebecca teasingly said to me.

“Honey, that is not wine, do not drink it. It be a foul beverage. It is death!” I screamed with panic to her.

“You were not here to stop me ages ago from drinking the ill water of the city. Why should you be able to stop me NOW!” she said in a wickedly hollow voice as she turned to look at me. Her face was emaciated and pale as new snow. Dark sunken eyes colored red with fury and contempt rifled at me. Her amazing brown tresses of hair now just wiry and jagged dead follicles fall from the top of her head to her shoulder. Her gaunt and bony hand extended towards me, flashing her putrid yellow and black nails, extra long from the time in the grave she had spent, reaching to rip me to shreds. It occurred to me that perhaps to grasp me and take her with her back to her lonely place in the soil.

“You promised. YOU PROMISED TO TAKE CARE OF ME!” she repeated over and over as she stepped closer to me. I was sweating and frozen in my seat. My eyes blinking trying to send this apparition away from my sight, wishing it were not there. Then a new voice jerked me from my daymare.

“Liam.” The male voice said.

A throat clearing cough followed by a more boisterous voice said again. “LIAM”

Having not yet fully settled into my new name as of yet, I was at first lost to why someone would call me Liam. I forced myself to break off the self imposed daymare and focus on whom was speaking to me.

Robert is talking to me. Ah yes, Liam is the new name I gave myself for the new home we now reside in.

“Yes. Yes. What?” I questioned him and responded to him.

“A guest approaches” Robert alerted to me.

Looking my assistant over, I decided to look at him more closely than before. I noticed he was wearing his never changing dark blue tunic with a Stag jumping with an emblazoned Sun behind it, across the middle of the garment. Then I looked to his black wrinkled trousers cascading over a soldier’s footwear, albeit awfully dated footwear. A well worn leather scabbard at his left side and a bone pommel jaunting from it.

“Never get tired to your clothing eh?” I joked to him as I stood up.

Robert sneered lightly, apparently not liking my jab at him at all. He swiped near a jar on the table in front of him and the jar was flung towards the hearth and exploded with flames as the clay jar broke from the impact.

It was then I noticed the light fog my breathing was making. Looking around me, the soothing orange light from the hearth tried to color the dreary dusty abode that I called home quite unsuccessfully. Sighing I shrugged my shoulders and moved behind the desk and awaited the entrance of my guest.

It did not take long for just a minute after I had moved a phantom of a young slip of a girl, no more than 16 appeared just inside the doorway. A lost soul had found me again. Just then she blinked in and out of existence multiple times. This induced a rude response from my companion.

“Get a hold of yourself GIRL!” Robert shouted with a bone scrapping shriek.

She blinked her dark black eyes from the disbelief of being noticed. She must be new to death. Not able to hold herself to the Material plane with ease. Robert so detested the newly dead. His conviction on this matter is rooted to past experiences he has had.

“I am not sure why I am here. Can you see me? Talk to me?” her voice sounded sweet if you could ignore the hissing sound coming from her throat as she asked me questions. I noticed then she was cut across the throat. The killing blow has now become apparent on her since she has calmed herself to my home.

“Yes we can. Do not mind Robert, he is very cranky in his old age. My name is Liam and you are looking for help. Help is something I am dutifully very good at.” I said to her.

“I am dead. How could you help me?” she asked meekly but with a dash of hope.

I reached out and touched her. At first she was startled, not expecting something to be able to touch her; she soon calmed down and was able to be convinced to sit in a chair near the hearth.

“Tell me how I can help you in your last hour of desperate need?” I said to her as I sat in the chair sitting straight across from her.

“Sir, it’s mae daughter, I need to free her from the life I lead. My little girl does not deserve a life like my own.” She explained.

“Well damn it! Damn it to Hell. He will not turn this one away after hearing that dribbling from the lass. Now I am stuck with a newly dead, for the next few days. What are you...Three...No Two years dead. HA!” Robert glided out of the room and up the stairs in a huff without even hearing her response.

“Two years dead, I think.” She said not in time.

“Don’t mind that cuss. He is right of course I will take your case.” I said to her and instantly she smiled. Of course I knew I was taking the case as soon as Robert told me earlier I had a guest. I have never said no to any soul that found its way here to the Tower. At least I never said no to a soul that found its way here in the direst of circumstances. I say no all the time to people knocking at the door trying to sell me something.

“Tell me everything I need to know to help you…” I said then paused, for I did not know her name yet.

“Meghan. That is my name sir” she supplied for me.

“I am sorry Meghan for being rude to not ask you for it. I am Liam. Liam A. al’Ias. I will be whoever I need to be, so I can guide you on to wherever you go after this is over.” I said.

“Thank you, Liam.” She said as she laid her hand on my arm. She again smiled. The ability to be able to touch anything again was a powerful force for a ghost. Touching the world again after so long not being able to, easily made them excited and happy.

“Now, shall we get to it?” I said and then she nodded in affirmative.
[/size]
Back to top Go down
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

PostSubject: Case 1 First Impressions    A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbFri Jul 08, 2011 9:36 pm

5th of Julius continued

“I am a Wh, I was a whore sir.” She said after correcting herself. “My daughter is being kept by the men whom I worked for. These are the same men who killed me when I accidently saw them exchange some money with a man in a hooded cloak. Sir, get her free from their grasp. She deserves a good life not one as I lived. Doing whatever the man paying me fancied me to do. I do not want her to shudder with any touch a man gives her. She should have love in her life and not a life full of tears and loveless sex.” She passionately preached her case to me.

“Do not worry Meghan. I will take her from the wicked. I promise that she will be given the chance to live not like you did.” I vowed aloud. “What is your little girl’s name?” I asked.

“Her name is Kathryn.” She answered.

“Where is she being held at, Meghan?” reached forward and placed my hand upon his wrist as I asked another question.

“A tavern named the Silent O near the harbor. It is marked with a single O over the door.” She whispered to me with her sweet song voice.

I could clearly see she was increasingly getting more and more emotional. My touch and vow to help her daughter had sparked a fire inside her lost soul. It is being stoked by this and it was bringing a color to her.

She moved around to sit next to me. She placed her left hand upon my thigh and her right hand on my arm. “Sir, I am ever thankful for your acceptance in helping me. Can I thank you?” she asked as she looked about the room. “You do not have a wife or a lady in your life by the look of your home. I can bring you an needed warmth to your home and bed.” She suggested to me.

It was true that the Tower had not had a woman staying here ever since I had taken up residence. It was true that in life Meghan had been a beauty like a morning rain shower and even in death with his touch she kept every drop of it. I am alone here. Yes, I have Robert, but he is just a trusted friend with social problems. I have not had anything remotely like this since my wife died. My body was telling me to say yes to her. I was warming in areas that had been dormant and cold for years. My blood was coursing through my veins, pumping my urge even more to say yes. My lips even soundlessly mouthed the word slightly.

However my head and eyes poured a bucket of cold water over me. In the corner of the room I could see her again. She was watching me from the dark and dank back corner with her black eyes. Black blood is trickling down from her nose to her lips. Her pale face sneered to me and mouthed some words of her own. “You promised to take care of me, not her.” I am not worthy of love or warmth.

I shook my head removing the guilt illusion from my view. “Thank you for your most interesting offer Meghan. You I am sure wish to thank me but I have done nothing yet to deserve it. Your love deserves to be treasured and not used as a commodity milady. I respect you too much to accept. I hope you understand.” I said. “Do you know the names of any of the men holding your daughter? This would be most helpful to me in retrieving her.” I asked hoping to move the subject off her tempting offer.

She looked to me for a moment before answering. I could see a slight dissatisfying look on her face that was quickly swallowed up by a neutral smile. Then after a pensive thought she smiled and nodded. A bit of red came to her face. This is something to behold a ghost who blushes. I was sure it was my touch or even my close proximity to her that allowed it but a marvel to write about it was. She was grateful for moving on to something else and she moved to answer me only after she removed her hand from my leg.

“John Thatcher has her and his two enforcers; Phillip Reed and Derfel Mason protect him and his tavern. John is tall and slender. He has golden hair and full trimmed beard. The other two are easy to pick out. They are dumb and stupid but very tall and very strong.” She informed me.

“Good. Good. That is more than enough information for me. Thank you. You may come and go as you like and when it is time for me to go to the tavern you shall come with me to point out your daughter if you can and the man holding her. I do warn you one thing. Do not touch me or get too near me while we are there or on the way. I would not want them to see you and spoil my plans.” I told her with an even tone to show I meant my words.

She nodded to me and smiled. “I will sir.” She said.

I rose from my seat and she did as well. I motioned her to the door. “Meghan I need some time to think and plan my next move. I will let you know when it is time for us to get your little girl. Be content, she will be safe soon.” I said as I opened the door to the staircase leading down in a spiral to the outside door a few floors down. “Have a good evening.”

“Thank you again, sir. For everything.” She said as she smiled and turned to walk down the stairs. When she was halfway down she shimmered again as she did when she first appeared and then she was just gone like she was never here to begin with.

“This will not go well. She will get you into trouble you may not be able to get out of it, Caretaker.” Robert’s hoarse voice said from behind me.

“That may be but you know full well that I will not back down from this. It is my promise that I will never break. I have broken too many promises in the past.” I said to him in response and full knowing that behind him and me by my own guilt, my two little girls and my wife were watching me. They are there watching me with their cold dead stares that chilled my soul and my heart.

Turning I looked to my curmudgeon of a friend and spoke.”I believe I will need someone French and highborn if possible. Also I will need someone that has been to a whorehouse, regrettably someone craven. Finally, I am in need of lady of the night that is not our Client.”

“I will compile a list of possible candidates from those we have spoken to already in the graveyard. We have not done a full sweep of the grounds yet. Do you think it is wise to do this case without a full inventory to choose from?” he asked.

“We may not have any time to find out. We must go very soon. Two days I will scout the placeout. I think when it is time to grab the girl I will enter the brothel as a wealthy French merchant looking for a warm bed and wishing it to be warmed by a fair lass. Jean Anslot will be my name on this endeavor.” I said as I paced the room.

“I believe I will venture out into the Kingdom tonight. I need an idea of it’s’ people if I am to properly understand the mannerisms and sayings of those in the taverns. There is a castle not far from here perhaps I will be guided by some souls stuck between worlds. I need to speak to the living but the dead might give me directions to those I can learn from.” I grabbed the door handle as I spoke aloud and then shut the door as I went down the stairs.

“Newly dead and him all emotionally tangled with a little girl in need of a rescue. It’s only going to bring me pain to my eyes and ears. Harrummmpt! I need a good stout mead, dammit!” Robert complained after I had left. “Lord protect him, he takes on too much and he is becoming colder than even the dead, on the inside.”

Last edited by The Caretaker on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Vex

Vex

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-02-27

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbFri Jul 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Excellent. Keep it up I am eagerly awaiting the next part.
Back to top Go down
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

PostSubject: Case #1 Kingdom of Solurius First Impressions   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbMon Jul 11, 2011 10:01 pm

[size=12]7th of Julius(night)

Inside the Silent O, I kept to myself in the back of the tavern. A plethora of women were cavorting with men of all ages and stations in life. I could see just by their body languages everything each man was thinking and or wanting.

The elder patron of the room, a man with white in his trimmed hair and beard, a man of easily spotted wealth by his fine silk clothing of blue and blacks, had a young girl of perhaps seventeen bouncing in his lap and pressing her ample breasts that were only barely constrained by the unlaced violet and blue lace trimmed bodice that hugged her slim by curvy body.

A man about my age with only hints of gray about his sideburns had a vivacious red headed girl with pale moon colored skin with thousands of precious freckles sprinkled over her uncovered arms, neck, face, and legs. He is rubbing his well worn hands over her firm bottom underneath her very short skirt. From his reaction to his hands coming out from under her skirt, he must think she has an ass as smooth as churned butter.

It is then I noticed what I presume to be the owner of the place, the wicked keeper of my client’s young daughter. He indeed was tall and slender; his hair is gold in color and a manicured beard that he kept trimmed. He was wearing a well tailored shirt and trousers all in black. An elegant belt of leather fashioned in a way to resemble tangled ivy and roses stems with their thorns encircling his waistline. His shoes were a plain black but again a stunningly well made in leather. I could easily see him walking many miles on those handcrafted soles on the bottom of his footwear.

He of course was flanked by two large men. They must be the fore mentioned Reed and Mason that Meghan had mentioned to me two nights past. They are keeping a vigilant eye on their boss and all the ladies within the room. Making sure that no man got anymore than what they are paying for.

“Si..Sir?” sweet young voiced lass voiced nervously.

I blinked and then turned my head to see the source of the voice that called me. A blonde haired girl perhaps near fifteen was looking down to me while I sat in this back table. She is wearing a bodice and skirt similar to the red haired girl; however she did not fill it out as much as her. She was much too young to be wearing such clothing but this was a brothel, where the fancies of some men were very near putrid in my estimation.

“Yes?” I answered in the best Soluriun dialect I could. I formed this from my brief conversation with the esteemed Earl Darkrose and the raven haired Lady Dane. Each of them helped me learn of the realm a couple of nights past at the realm’s royals held court. I even got a taste of the night life in an inne named the Ales n’ Tales with Lady Dane. She so far had been the most helpful, but I have not run into others as of yet to learn anything

“Sir, would you like a drink I can have one of the available companions bring it over to you.” She said as she pointed in the direction of a few girls lined up against a wall awaiting a patron to call them over. I realized that I stuck out like a sore thumb being here and just staring to the buzzing room.

“Yes…..?” I question for the girl’s name.

“Katy, my name is Katy.” She supplied.

“Yes, Katy I would enjoy the company of...” I paused as I looked over the woman. ”The girl on the end, the blonde with the short cut hair.” I added.

She smiled and looked to my choice and then looked back to me. The young girl’s eyes reminded me of someone that I could just place right now. A placid blue gray in coloring they are and very unique at least to me.

“Oh, that is a good choice! Callie is the queen of the house. You are very lucky to find her unattached this evening.” She said with a real zeal behind her voice. It seemed that she is fond of the lady I have chosen so I would not stick out in the tavern.

She motioned for Callie to come over then asked me something else. “What drink would you like to have sir? I will fetch it for you while you see what other things you might be able to detach from Callie.” She said with a devilish grin.

“A brandy would be wonderful.” I answered as I placed my hand on her arm to keep her from going to get my drink for a moment. Just as I touched her I was jolted in my head with a flash of white. What seemed like a few minutes to me was only mere seconds for everyone else.

“Katy? Why are you in a place like this?” I asked with a hushed tone.

“My boss, he gives me a roof and food. Ever since I was a baby.” She said with a smile before pulling from my hold on her and went to get my drink.

“Well hello, there Sir.” A thickly laid Scottish accent said.

Looking to my right the blonde beauty Callie had made her journey across the room to me. She promptly sat in my lap and placed a slender finger under my chin. She flashed her green eyes into my mine and smiled.

“Now were talkin! What a bonnie lass! Liam why dontcha give ‘er a squeeze. You never bring any woman to the Tower, and it has been a long time coming.” The hoarse voice of Robert surprised me.

I glared to him with eyes that said what the hell are you doing here. He responded in kind with a simple statement.

“I told you so!” he said then titled his eyes over to where young Katy was grabbing my drink. Meghan was there even though I explicitly told her not to come until I was ready. She was wavering unseen to everyone else by me and Robert by Katy franticly pointing to her. It took me a few moments to understand why she would be doing this, but I got it eventually, especially since Robert so candidly pointed out that he told me so. Katy was Meghan’s daughter. Katy also was around 15 not 3. The newly dead have problems with time. They do not think they are dead for a lengthy amount of time sometimes. They also forever see their loves ones as they once saw them in life. They just cannot see the changes that time does to them. Since time is barely changes them.

So, Robert was indeed right about this case. I had an overly touchy harlot upon my lap. I also have a snarky and smug friend at my side. A client whom was not totally correct about much of the details she gave me before. Finally, I have a young girl whom is not a toddler but a lady near woman living, in a brothel and seems to enjoy being here. So much for first impressions.

[/size]
Back to top Go down
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

PostSubject: A note   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbTue Jul 19, 2011 8:55 pm

(( Sorry I have taken so long to post again. I have had a long week. My next post will that follows this note will not have been edited fully. Sorry for any grammar mistakes. I will try to do a full edit this weekend and then amend the Posting then on the Boards. ))
Back to top Go down
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

PostSubject: First Impressions Case #1 Solurius Kingdom   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbTue Jul 19, 2011 8:58 pm

7th of Julius-Kingdom Of Solurius ( In the brothel the Silent O)

What am I to do? Sitting here I have an ample in beauty, ready and willing, woman delicately placing her fingers over my body trying to incite my inner desires to take her, most likely in a room in the back of the tavern, and have sex with her. Of course her company would be for a decent sum of coin for her professional favors in the bedroom. I neither had the time nor the want to have anything to do with The Queen of the Tavern this evening. My only focus point is how to help young Katy the waitress.

I sat back into my chair while I started up my gears of thought in my mind. Instantly, the noisy tavern room became muffled. The loud laughter and boasts of my friend Robert faded away as well. Time would seem to have stopped if you were looking over my shoulder. Using my deep well of creativity I stepped back from myself from where I was sitting and prepared to watch all of my options. Hovering over my real seated self I began to go over any scenarios I could think of in the briefest amount of time I had before anyone would notice me just sitting there with a blank face while a sexy woman flaunted herself at me.

I flung Callie off my lap as I rose sharply. She cascaded to the floor with a large smack as her well rounded butt struck the tiled floor. Her cries of surprise them contempt ring out like a beacon alerting Reed and Mason to trouble and I being at the center of said trouble is going to make this attempt even harder.

I can hear the laughter of Robert bark out like a dog from the commotion I created distracting me momentarily right before I flip the table over and into the next one adjacent to me. This would make a small foray of havoc and give me some time before Reed and Mason could get to me. The tables full of men and women would jump up and make a good size crowd in the tavern separating me from the bruisers coming for me.

All of these swift actions were timed so I could grab Katy as she approached and fling her over my shoulder like a sack of flour. I would run for the door with her kicking and screaming as I carried her. Her cries of help would alert my pursuers that this was getting even more serious than a drunk.

It is quite possible as I was running with the squirming girl on my shoulder that some less inebriated guests of the Silent O might try to stop me with varying degrees of bravery. The man with the brown close cut hair third nearest to the door might just stick out a foot and try to trip me. I in my hurried state could be tripped by this. However I am fleet of foot and sure with my balance and would recover quickly. Not however quick enough to not lose some precious time I lost when I stumbled. Time is my enemy now, I must keep John Thatcher’s toughs from reaching me and even now they are making their way through the chaos of the crowd I made.

The second closest man to the door, a tall man with a reddish brown beard might even move in front of me at the last second causing me to plow into him and perhaps drop the screaming and hair pulling daughter of Meghan that rides atop of my right shoulder.

I would not be able to avoid his entire maneuver but I am sure I could take a light blow and be able to continue towards the door. Cursing him and I am sure he would throw a few choice words my way as I passed him.

The last man, the one right next to the door would be the most likely hardest to get by. A middling man in height, he is leaning against the door jam in a long black hooded cloak. There is a sword at his left hip waiting to be freed from its scabbard to deal out hurt and blood. The pommel and hilt has signs of wear, which indicate much use. In my case and with my luck he would know how to wield such a blade and the wear and tear on the blade would not be because he bought a used blade recently to just look menacing and brooding to the girls here in the tavern.

I have no idea what could happen there, I am a pessimist at heart, so darting by him without losing my bouncing bundle in tow, and I would definitely take at least two decent cuts from his blade. I would take a wound at my left leg and one across my left forearm trying to defend myself with a weapon of my own.

Bleeding and limping I would burst through the door. Reed and Mason only a few yards behind giving me chase. Katy yelling at the top of her lungs for help, her throaty calls reddening her larynx while she was pleading for anyone to aid her from me carrying her away.

Soon with her doing everything she could to slow me down, my bleeding leg and arm, my lungs losing more and more air due to exhaustion from the running and pushing, I would feel a sharp pain in my back. I would fall to my knees and Katy would clatter to the ground and get up backing away from me, with her eyes looking confused and then scared as they rose to something that was behind me.

It would be Reed and Mason and in my back was most likely a dagger or a knife. Two large and meaty hands would grip both sides of my head, digging his nails into my skin and ears.

It was then I would see my wife and children just behind Katy. They would be staring at me and saying together. “Another promise broken.”

Then with a strong and quick twist my neck would be snapped and my lifeless body would slump to the dirty street.

Looking back to Callie with a smile, shaking off my imagination, I opened my coin purse and produced two gold coins of Rome. “Callie thank you for your hospitality but the evening is getting late and I must retire. Can you be kind enough to share these coins with the young Katy whom attended to my thirst as well?”

“Aye, milord, I can and will.” She said as she pocketed the coins with delight sparkling in her eyes. It was plainly seen all she cared about was payment and the possible payment in her future. “Come back now, dearie. Next time I will make sure we get real acquainted”

She slid off my lap and stood up, but not before she gave me a long kiss on my cheek and wink from her eye.

“Robert. I need to you follow John and his two men.” I said in a hushed tone to him as he sat next to me unseen.

“You should swoop up that buxom lass and take her to bed with you Liam. You need a tumble badly you damn fool. Such a wench in my lap, I would have had a hand down her bodice and taken a nice squeeze before I took her to the back.” He said then laughed heartily with a belly laugh becoming of him.

“Just do what I said. Then when you find something that I can use meet me in the lichyard. I am going to get whom I need to finish this through tonight. We cannot waste a minute longer. She was supposed to be very young girl. Not a teen.” I told him firmly but still with the hushed tone.

“Alright! Alright! Just leave damn you. I will be there. I warn you, all this doing things half cocked.” He paused a moment during his tirade with a grin. “You are going to make a mistake and it might cost you your life.”

I simply nodded to my friend as stood up. I moved towards the door and spied John and his lackeys talking to a well dressed man who was pointing towards Katy. I quickly made eye contact with Robert to signal him to get over there now. Once Robert sauntered over to them I left. My steps over the streets of the city were quick.

I made good time getting back to the Tower’s graveyard. Popping my head inside the front door and reaching in with my hand, I grabbed a shovel. An old and beat up tool, it seeing the better of times, I walked to the first cross in the oldest part of the graveyard.

It is a mass grave marker. For those whom died with no money to buried properly. A grave for the poor and forgotten, a grave for the evils of society to slip in bodies of those they have slain without any one being the wiser. That is one of the souls I needed tonight. A murdered French Merchant. My conversation with him a few nights past still rang in my memory. He seemed a fine fellow even though he was French. He was Murdered in the prime years of his life but ended up where he did.

“Gaston Moreau. Speak to me. I call you from death and compel you come forth” I said forcefully before the hallowed ground of the gravesite.

“GASTon MOReau. Come to me. You are released from the bonds that bind you.” I said forcefully.

Then the wisp of curling mist and smoke came from the soil at my feet. Then with a crack of thunder the ground erupted out and separated into a small chasm right before me. The smell of brimstone and ash filled my lungs. The cries of the wicked and tormented filled my ears with woe. I spied my targeted soul rising towards me but still bound in barbed chains of iron and flames. I reached my hand forward and screamed with hard will.

“Release thy bonds on this Soul Hell, I call him forth and you have no power to deny me.”

My words echoed down into Hell and broke the chains hold Gaston’s soul. He floated much more quickly to the surface. Once he passed into my plane, he became fully formed and the earth sealed itself up.

Pourquoi avez-vous appelé moi encore Sir?” Gaston said.

“It is time for us to go to work.” I replied. “Can you lead me to your bones while I dig, I will need more than just your soul for what I am going to do?”

“Oui” he replied. With that I began to dig.
Back to top Go down
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

PostSubject: First Impression Case #1 Kingdom Of Solurius   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbSat Jul 23, 2011 8:12 pm

7th of Julius (Night and inside the tavern the Silent O)

He is going to get himself killed. Rash actions only bring pain. If I was not around him he would have died when that Scot with his missing head begged for a favor, four years past. Liam needed me to follow the trio of John “the slime” Thatcher and his two large hired men that are equally dumb as rocks and most likely hit like a rock.

I drift across the room, purposely walking through every lady I could. Letting their curls of well manicured hair, their propped up and squished together breasts, and their tight and well rounded behinds saturate within me before I passed on to the next. I left each woman with only raised goose bumps and chill down their spine but I received at least a fleeting feeling of crude joy deep inside myself.

Following, the Manure farmer and his spades, I noticed the man they were escorting to a private room. He was wearing the finest clothing I have ever seen. I have seen Kings in lesser fineries than this man. Gliding right up to him I took a whiff of him. I know that I could not smell him, but in life you could tell many things about the smells coming off someone and their belongings and old habits die hard. Of course I smelt nothing but I did get a better look at his face.

He had deep set eyes with hints of grayish blue about the iris, a distinct nose slightly pointed and very prominent and well cut dark hair. I have met many foreign diplomats in my past, so I know this man is Spanish. I am quite sure he is hiding bushy eyebrows under his hood, but I cannot see it yet.

Finally, the men reached a doorway in the back of the tavern. The two hired cronies stayed outside of the room to each side of the door. The door closed and latched behind John Thatcher and his guest, but that would not bar me from entry. Before I go in however, I gave each man outside a good left cross to their family jewels. Of course my punches pass right through them and in my futility I tried to give them another shot, but decided not to and just pass through the door to see what was going on behind it.

They, John Thatcher the merchant of sighs and the hooded Spaniard are talking with ease and a reserve. They are beginning a dance that business and politics forces you to do in order to get what you want when you want it.

“Do you have one or don’t you?” the Spaniard said in thick accent.

John Thatcher just stared at the man. His dark intelligent eyes would shimmer, and his gaze became something so forceful that it could start an inferno. His whole being shifted in a predatory way after the question was presented to him. Thatcher’s stance widened, becoming more uncompromising and confident, and his voice rose up to become a thundering hunter’s horn that could have been clearly heard from opposite end of the entire building.

“I have many things. You will have to be more specific.” John thickly voiced with a mocking tone, laced with a reserved aggression.

“Diablo lo maldición o lo mato, donde se encuentra.” He swore under his breath. “The damn girl, the one you have been keeping for such an opportunity that my liege has offered to you.”

I look over the Spanish cur as he dribbled out his case. All of this reeks of ill doings. Something I was well versed in myself. My soul was deeply black when the Caretaker Tower appeared outside my resting grounds. Within the Tower was the chance to fulfill my oath to my love I gave. She asked for me to always protect those in trouble. I promised her I would do so, forever. Liam has not been the only Caretaker I have seen, but the only one to treat me more than an underling, pest, or hindrance. I am a partner with him. With our missions we have saved many people and souls, not for my soul or his to become lessen of the black stain on it, but because there should be someone out there to help when you had no course left. We were not able to save everyone, but it was not for the lack of trying.

“Yes, Katy is still in my possession. Her worth might be too much for your liege to handle. She is pristine and untouched.” The crooked Thatcher countered.

He means to sell her away, I thought to myself. Liam should be able to use this to get Katy out of the belief that Thatcher only means well for her.

“My vasallo does not care if she is a virgin. We will not pay extra for this. He wants a Solurian girl that is still wide eyed and naďve to the evils of the world. A young woman he can despoil and play with at his will. The tears of his play toys always bring him such joy. All the better it is the child of your whore whom almost spoiled the last transaction he had with you in the past.” He said with such stomach heaving frankness, I a ghost almost puked.

The levels these men are at on the morality tree of society are subterranean. I wanted to draw my blade and hack each one to death. The most I could do is some parlor tricks like sending the inkwell across the room and stain one of their clothing. I good give them each a bone chilling touch and give them a good scare. Nothing that would help Liam on his case.

“700, is still the price we will pay for her, untouched or soiled it matters not.” The Spaniard said.

John looked forcefully to the man across from him. Daggering intent stabbing across his gaze. It was clear he was unhappy with the price and he must be weighing his options. Quickly he composed himself and calmed his face. He had reached a decision.

“Done. You may pick her up two nights from hence. Not a minute earlier. Payment half now half upon the exchange. No exceptions.” He clearly stated.

It took the emissary a few moments to mull over the offer before accepting the terms. He spoke as he turned to go to the door. “Want to spend a few hours with her before she is gone forever. Have you gone sweet on her?” he said with a sneering smile.

“What I do with my property is my business until it is you taken possession of it. I have no emotions for any of the things I own. Everything is a means to an end. This is the end of this deal. Now leave.” His last few words were thickly laced with wrath and repugnance of being insulted in his own place of power.

“Por supuesto que voy a dejar, hijo de puta” he firmly said in return as he left, his hands up and shaking like he was clean of all of this. He produced a good pouch of coin and handed it to Mason as he walked away.

“Derfel, Phillip I need you inside right now!” he yelled with a boiling over rage once the Spaniard had left earshot. The two ducked into the room, their gait all but closing the entrance to the room like a rockslide bars a road. “If that cabrón thinks he is going to get more than he paid for. She is mine for now and what I do with her until he claims her is mine to choose. She will be delivered used now. Tonight and all day. She will be soiled and broken. She has been a constant reminder of a mistake and it is time I treat her as such.” He ranted.

“You want us to do what sir?” Phillip asked.

“Get Katy and Callie. Have Callie pretty the girl up. She is going to make me some money tonight. Only the worse for her. Anyone looks like a good prospect for emptying their coin purse for virginal girl, you get me immediately. I do not have to explain you do not tell Callie or Katy why they are doing any of this. Understand?” he firmly said.

“Yes, sir!” they said in unison.

“Now go do it!” he screamed as he slammed a curled fist into a tabletop, having the inkwell fall to the ground.

It was then my own anger got the better of me. I pushed my will into a single shove. I have been a ghost a long time. I know how to affect life in subtle and not so subtle ways. So, I pushed hard into the side of Derfel, who in his surprise lost his balance and toppled into Phillip, who in turn fell into Thatcher.

“Lower than cowards you are Thatcher. Your time is soon at an end.” I bellowed unheard as I passed right through the wall unseen and was quickly making my way back to the Tower. Liam had to be informed and hopefully I will find him there without him having done something rash.

A reckoning will be coming to the house of O.

Back to top Go down
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

PostSubject: First Impression- Kingdom of Solurius -Caretaker Tower   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbSun Jul 31, 2011 12:29 pm

7th of Julius ( Night outside of the Caretaker Tower)

“So tell me about yourself.” I said as I climb out of the mass grave I just recently dug into.

“How do you say- ah… I was a rich merchant. Calais was my home. I traveled for my family’s business all around the world. I even did business here as you can tell. Here is where I ended life.” Gaston said in his annoying French accented English.

Now I am not saying, well I guess I am saying it, The French, as a people I find quite annoying. Their pomp and the air about them, saying I am so high above your station in life. Well it just bugs the shit out of me. Gaston here was no different than any other man I have ever met from France. Even in death, Gaston had the aura of pretention embracing him. I am sure he might be an all right man to those he knows, or at least was, but, man was he plucking each and every nerve I have.

French women can be as bad as the men, but I find that somehow I seem to enjoy their prim and proper airs that they cloak themselves in. My wife was French, so I know from experience that underneath all of that lies a seductress ready to let her more adventurous side come into the light. My wife was not the first girl from France that I have had the honor of seeing so uninhibited, but that was when I was a young knight of England, defending the King’s lands and rights in Brittany.

“Liam?” Gaston got my attention away from my thoughts. “Now that you have some shavings from my bones what are you going to do with them?”

“I am going to smash them down into little bits. You as a soul or a ghost have a bond with your bones. I am going to use this to aid me in tonight. I am going to have you ride inside me, giving me access to your mannerisms and speech patterns. You can even help me with your own specific knowledge of the trade business and help me pull off a fully fledged disguise.” I answer.

I brush the dirt and grime off my clothing after I got up from the ground. The caked dirt from digging falls to the ground near the pile of earth I removed from the grave site. I look to the entrance to the graveyard wishing Robert would just appear there with the information I needed. Time was of the essence. I still did not know when I had to act and in most of the cases I have taken in the past, I usually did not have much time at all to do them. I am the Caretaker of Lost Causes and that usually means in the twilight hour of need I am tapped for battle.

“Gaston let us go inside the Tower. I need to prep your bones and lay out some clothing that might fit me after the process is over.” I said as I walk towards the entrance to the Tower. Looking up I am always taken back at the sight of the thing. Every time I look at it, it takes me back to the first time I laid my eyes on its stone and stained glass.

I can see it now. I was kneeling near the grave I dug myself for my wife and children. Tears falling from my eyes and soaking the earth that rests above them. I had placed sprigs of lavender and bunch of tulips, my wife’s favorite flower, against the stone carved cross headstone that marked where they lie. In the corner of my eye I noticed the fog bank that was lowering itself from the sky suddenly looked like it was being held back something. Turning I saw it.

As high as some castle towers it appeared. Three large stain glass windows in the center of one side of it glowed lightly with the presence of light inside it. It had a giant double door at its base made of steel or iron, colored in black. Creeping all over every side of the Tower was ivy growing and to me it looked like it moved like serpents wriggling about ready to constrict the stone that made up its walls.

It was then the door opened and Robert came out walking towards me in a greenish tint. It was not the first ghost I have ever seen. I had lived with that curse most of my life. I had kept locked up inside me, trying to forget it and at times I had been able to suppress it, but it was never gone from me.

I heard him out and I went inside. I kissed my dead family goodbye that night, but I knew I would see them again, for I never allowed myself to forget them and I visualized them every chance I get.

Enough of that I said to myself as I open the door for Gaston. If he would have tried to just walk through the wall, Gaston would have gotten a big surprise. No spirit can enter the Tower without aid of those that live there or have been called there by the beacon for the Lost.

Climbing the stair up to the main level of the Tower, Gaston spoke to me. “Oů allons-nous ce soir?”

“Pour enregistrer une jeune femme d'une vie dans un bordel.” I answer in French to be polite.

“Oh, I see.” Gaston said in English with a weird look in his eyes. He must have realized that he was speaking in French again. When I was digging out his grave we talked in French until I just could not keep up. I know a lot of French, but I would not say I am fluent in it. My wife always got exasperated with me when she was talking to me in French and I gave her a blank look of confusion.

I open the door to the main room; it is dusty and full of cobwebs as usual. The only places in the room that you could call clean would be the pathways I walk in the room and one table with my chair. They are not clean in any matter of saying; they were just cleaner than the rest of the room.

The room gives an empty cold feel to even the souls and ghosts that visit. Life just did not spring from inside the Tower. I had been the only living Caretaker ever and I am not sure anyone would be able to tell that someone alive lived here at all.

I walk straight for the far bookshelf. There on the top shelf was my mortar and pestle, about five or so inches wide and six inches in height, it was made of fine marble, hand carved with hammer and chisel very carefully. I picked it up and moved it to the tabletop near the center of the room.

I drop the small clump of bone shavings into the bowel of the mortar, pieces of his jawbone for speech, another piece of his hands for his movements, a chip or two from his skull for his knowledge, and finally a few scrapes from his femur for hopefully his base, his stature.

I have never been sure that any of this was necessary for the process to work. In my head it logically felt like I needed the different bones for the things I needed. I could be wrong in this completely, but I did know is that I needed his bones no matter what. The journal left behind by the past Caretakers laid out instructions they had received from Saint Jude on this manner for any Caretakers that are living. I have been wary of this though since I am the first Caretaker that has been living so when I took this for the first time I was shaking in my boots. The instructions were not all that clear on if I needed certain pieces or whatever. So far it had worked for me and so I wasn’t going to stray until told otherwise.

I grip the pestle and begin to work the shavings into the bowel of the mortal. It did not take long for me to work up a sweat, bone was not the easiest thing to grind, even decades old bone.

“Is this brothel we are going to have many de--- different women of Solurius to choose from?” Gaston asks after having perhaps difficulty finding the correct word in English.

“I am sure it does. Why?” I ask in return, not looking up from my work.

“No reason at all. I just have not seen any ladies in a long time.” He said in return with a crude and gleefully evil look in his eyes.

“We will be saving girl of fourteen or so in age. Katy. Her mother was drawn to the Tower in need. She did not want her daughter to end up in the same life she led.” I said with gritted teeth. You would think that I would be used to how hard it is to do this by now. It had been seven years and maybe 20 kingdoms in that span of time. I lost count of how many different graveyards I tended to.

Finally, the bone shavings had turn to a fine powder and I pick up the mortar and moved to fine my wine glass. Over at my desk it was, still half full from my chat with my guilt made phantom wife. I turn the mortar over spilling the bone powder into the wine. I set the mortal down on the desk and placed the pestle in it before I raised the glass with my left hand swirling it lightly.

“This is how you will be able to ride inside me. You will ride in your bones while they ride inside me.” I told him.

“Tres bon” he affirms.

It was then Robert passes through the door into the room. He has a look of heavy distraught and worry. I would not have paid any mind to it because he always looked forlorn, but this time I could tell something was wrong.

“Liam!” he yells. “Thatcher and his thugs are going to sell the girl to some Spaniard who represents someone of importance. I believe they are going to make her a slave for sex.” Robert reported with anger in his voice.

“When?” I ask.

“Soon, two days I believe the deal will be done.” He answers. “That is not the worst of it Liam. Thatcher was upset with the terms of the deal and he is going to take it out on Katy. He means to make her available tonight as a viable harlot.”

I almost drop the wine glass when I slam my free hand down on the desk. “Damn it!” I curse. “We have no time. It must be tonight.”

“I am ready to see the ladies, Liam.” Gaston purrs.

I could see on Robert’s face that he was upset but it quickly turned to worry and not for Katy any longer, but for me.

“Liam, whom is this?” he asks, referring to Gaston.

“Gaston Moreau. The French merchant from the mass grave in the back.” I reply.

I almost see the gears turning in his ghostly brain. He is recalling the names and situations of each name that we counted a few days past. Then he stops and I assume he remembers whom it is now.

“That soul is from Hell!” Robert exclaims. “This is too dangerous Liam. Think about it.”

I knew Robert was right. Even from the first exchange of conversation with Gaston, I felt a tingle of warning, saying to me to leave this soul be. I ignored my gut feeling on this. Gaston had been very crafty so far in hiding why he went to hell. Statements of killing men in warfare and duels he gave me while I was digging to his bones. I knew there was something he was hiding from me and something in my head was saying the same thing. This same feeling sometimes I get in my head tells me a lot of things to do. I ignore it most times because just like Robert it is always pushing me towards company.

It didn’t matter at all though. Robert’s or my own self warning me, there was a young woman in trouble and I was confident that I can remain in control of myself while Gaston possesses me.

“There is no time to argue this, Robert. We have no time and besides_” I lifted the glass and drank the bone laced wine empty. “It is done.”

“Foolish. You are being rash. At least balance the soul out with one from heaven.” Robert points out just as Gaston swirled and pours into my eyes.

“No time. We must leav…” I try to say but the process was beginning.

My eyes shot wide open instantly. I have never been able to get used to this and today it seems I will chalk another try up to nope, wasn’t able to bear the pain. The first thing that happens is the height. I was getting shorter to match what Gaston had been in life. I am 6’7” and by what I can tell from Gaston’s ghost, he was at least a foot shorter than me. Every bone in my arms, chest, and legs just snapped, all at the same time. I cry out in pain, my throat throbbing with every snap. Then what feels like the fires of creation burn away enough of my own bones to match the size Gaston’s bones had in life. I fall to the ground and convulse in rhymthic patterns as my skin color changes.

My face is going to be the worst. I could feel the bones in my cheeks moving over muscle groups, it feels like someone with a spoon was digging under my skin. I cough up blood and spit it out to the floor with a sudden stop.

Blood dripped from my nose as it became slightly pointed and small, instead of my medium English nose. My hair then shortens in length and turned into fine jet black in color. Blinking my eyes, I looked to a single mirror that we had in the Tower. I was easily French by my look. The angles of my cheekbones, my hair, my coloring in the skin, now have changed into the French traits of Gaston. I had only retained my ice frosted green eyes this time around. Gaston had brown eyes set high on his face, while mine stayed centered.

“Gaston to you hear me?” I ask in my mind.

“Oui” he replys in my thoughts.

I walk right pass Robert over to the large closet. This closet would make the richest Queen in the world jealous. My closet was as large as three royal bedrooms are. Inside I went for the silks and finer clothing the Tower had to offer. Picking out the tunic and pants that were the most expensive, I quickly put them on.

After I was done I exited the closet only to see the disappointment on Robert’s face. I did not have time for it, even if I understood it. I ran up the next flight of stairs to the bedroom area of the Tower. Inside a locked door held the treasures of the Tower. I fill a single large coin purse full of gold coins from many different Kingdoms. If was going to be a rich man flaunting his money, I ought to have the actual coin to back it up.

As I enter the main room again I walk over to the weapon cabinet. Opening it I spy my special thin width knifes. Taking a few of them, I insert them into the hemline pockets of my cloak, near the bottom where the back of my heel hits when I walk. Last but not least I grab the long handled dagger. Pulling it from its sheath revealed a dagger made of a fine hardwood. It is stained in a dark brown and it had a luster to it. This will be a weapon to defend myself at the brothel that would deal only knockout power. It had a secret however. At the base of the hilt was a hidden clasp, once triggered would let loose the wooden blade to reveal a wicked blade of cold steel.

Coming out of the weapon’s cabinet, I looked for Robert. Giving him a serious gaze I instruct him verbally. “Robert. Find Meghan and get her to the Silent O. I will need her help in convincing Katy. Then I want you to return here and wait for us. Have a room ready for Katy so she can stay with us until I find a place for her. Get some food from the stores in the basement levels.”

Robert just nods and pauses before saying anything. “Lad, you know I am right, but I will support you on this. The girl needs help and she needs it now.”

I extend my hand for a shake to him and Robert took it and upon my touch he became physical and we gave each other a firm handshake. “Be well” we both said in unison. Then I left out the door and down the stairs. We, Gaston and I, would be at the Silent O very soon and hopefully it would not be too late.
Back to top Go down
Luludja Lovari
Newb
Luludja Lovari

ME : A raven-haired beauty, it is a constant struggle to tame the wild, curling tresses, often drawn back by delicate silver combs when she attends to the court, and left free when she dons the traditional attire of her people, too proud of her favorite feature to modestly cover it. Her eyes are expressive, a constant betrayal of her passionate emotions, in a brilliant shade of emerald green. Olive skinned, fine boned, and petite, she rises only to a little more than five foot three, with a narrow waist, and subtle curves. Her right arm and shoulder are decorated in intricate floral tattooing, and she is almost always adorned with jewelry; from her golden nose ring, to copper bracelets, belled bangles and dangling earrings. For her own protection, she carries two daggers, their jeweled hilts tucked into her sashes, or depending from her narrow belt. Her attire varies, from layers of silken skirts and sashes, embroidered vests or soft linen blouses when she performs, to the more ornate gowns of a lady with satin slippers, but always she is accompanied by the silvery sound of tiny bells, sewn into the hems of her garments by her own hand, a chime of music in her every step.
Occupation/Titles : Division Leader of the Royal Order of Courtiers, First Lady to Her Majesty, Queen Caillean, Her Grace, Duchess Car Zenesa, Lady Luludja of the Lovari Vitsa
Humor : Lead me not into temptation; I can find the way myself.
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-02-05

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbThu Aug 04, 2011 11:34 pm

(Very nice! I can't wait to find out what happens next. Gaston seems like a creep lol

Keep up the great writing!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/luludjalovari
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

PostSubject: First Impression-Kingdom of Solurius-7th of Julius   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbSat Aug 06, 2011 10:43 pm

Night 7th of Julius

Wriggling my jaw just before I enter the Silent O, I decide that I really do not like being in the skin of a Frenchman, Gaston Moreau or any Frenchmen at all. Pushing the door open, I allow the boisterous rambles of music, song, laughter, and vibrant revelry escape into the street behind me. Just inside I come upon the large and gruff Mr. Reed, one of the two toughs that John Thatcher, the owner of the place, employs. He gives me a scornful eye as he scans my clothing and face, most likely looking for any obvious signs that I mean to do this place harm. Of course I do mean to do it his place of work harm by sneaking one of its girls out of it, but he didn’t need to know that.

“No room fer you! Get going back to wheres you came from.” He audibly grunts loudly over the raucous room.

“Will I be able to enter with my esteemed colleagues?” I said in my perfect French accented English thanks to Gaston, after I produce five gold coins from my heavy coin purse hanging from my waist next to my wooden dagger.

He snatches them from my hand eyeing them greedily for a few moments. He inspects them with a surprising thorough eye before he looks up at me again. “This be enough for you and your friends to enter, but they have to stay here with me and your steel stays as well.” He said with special inflection on the last part and steady gaze towards the pommel of my weapon at my side.

“I have not any steel, Sir. I only have this.” I respond with a smile and a flourishing draw of my wooden dagger. His eyes grew thin with a smoldering anger stoking in them. I believe he thought I drew my dagger to wound him. He takes my dagger from my hands with his heavy coarse right hand. He looks it over just as slowly as he did with the coins now in his possession. Handing it back a short time later he has a disdainful smirk on his face.

“Your toy cannot hurt me. Why even bring such a pitiful weapon anywhere?” he amuses.

“Sometimes the threat of a weapon is enough to keep trouble at bay when coin cannot.” I said with a hint of cowardice. He guffaws loudly and smacks me in the back with his hammer hand.

“As long as your coins flow tonight and your toy stays in its sheath, you will be able to bring to bear your real weapon, however puny it may be.” He hints boldly about me with a disparaging jab.

“This weapon shall stay in its sheath; as for my other blade, it hungers to find the folds of skin and blood.” Gaston said aloud through me.

I could barely walk as I verbally berate Gaston inside my head. “Do not ever do that again. I am in control and you are only along for the ride.” I sternly voice to him inside my head.

“Pardonne-moi. Mettons-nous pour les filles.” Gaston said back to me mentally with an eye roll, as I could feel my eyes moving without my moving them.

Looking over the crowded room I see lots of different kinds of patrons with their bought and paid for pleasurable company for the night. All of these men are rich and for the most part not very attractive. The ones that did have good looks had more than one girl hanging around them. Keeping in the act of my guise, Jean Anslot, I went straight to the table nearest the hallway to the back. Spying the least rich man there, he was wearing tattered silk that had seen better days, I rapidly fling four coins that bounce off his tabletop and topple to the floor and start to roll away.

“Oh! Can you help me retrieve my coins?” I said with a fake fear of loss. Soon the man spotting the coins fell over his chair to the floor looking for them with a fever. He found all but one in short order and stands back up to only find me sitting in his chair at what once was his table.

“Sir?” he said quizzically. “I have some of your coins. Two to be exact I could not find the others.”

“Keep them and find yourself some better rags to wear.” I add.

“But…Butt… my seat.” He stammers.

“Bought and paid for. As I said GO.” My words are said with a thrust of austerity that finally convinces the man to find somewhere else to be.

After he left I instantly scan the room over every working lady there. Gaston of course mentally had something to say about each girl, some of his thoughts just did not sit well with me. After I complete my search of the room with my eyes, I had not seen Katy anywhere. I am sure Robert heard correctly but perhaps I am too late. I can feel the sweat start to bead at my forehead in the anxiety of the situation. I have no way of knowing if she had already been taken in the back with some other man or if she is still in the back getting ready to come out to the main room to start working. Then I see Callie coming out from the back with Katy in tow.

Katy swimming in a dainty almost sheer shift adorn with tiny embroidered roses about the plunging neckline that barely hide the small but still growing sign of womanhood on her chest. She has a look of being frighten or overwhelmed with her task at hand. Though I could see a misguided spark of loyalty towards doing a good job for her self- appointed savior John Thatcher, who I am sure just shortly before making her come out to the room, gave her some speech about pulling more weight or following in her mother’s footsteps.

Now, how to get her in back with me alone without drawing too much attention to the sudden action of just walking up to her and claiming her for a conquest.

“Get some other girls, Liam. Find them unsuitable, one by one. Then call upon some aid. They will bring her to you. Flash your coins. Your own man said they want to make money on her before she is sent away. Use it.” Gaston thought to me with a very surprisingly useful plan.

I nod and call to the first girl I see. “Vous, Jolie fille, vous apporter ici.” Gaston said aloud, exerting himself over my control. Noting the closest girl, a girl of average height, slender in form, and with long brown hair cascading around her blue eyed face did not speak French, nor understand it. “Hello. I wish to have you sit with me?” I ask in my new French accented English while holding a coin out for her to see. She smiled and sexily saunters over to my table and once she came to it she dips down to flash her full dark beige colored bosom before she plucks the coin from my fingers.

“I would more than happy to sit with you, Milord.” she says with a trembling tongue roll to incite my arousal. “I will be happy to sit however you want, Milord. I can sit next to you, on you, or we can go somewhere more comfortable for the both of us.” She smiles to me widely and I can make out a small trace of eagerness in her body’s language. Her finger reaches out to me and traces a long switchback full trail up my left arm, over my sleeve and up to my neck, as she sits down on my lap. Her firm butt starts wriggling into my lap as if she is trying to get comfortable or it is a ploy to ignite a fire of lust within me. She is very good at her job so far. I can feel the results of her flirtations growing hard in me and it takes some frustrating willpower to control myself.

I slip my hand to the small of her back and playfully tickle her in an attempt to keep my cover intact as a normal patron of the tavern would act. Her body starts to tremble with giggles from my touch and she lifts a few of her delicate and soft fingers to stifle her laughter.

“You smell very fragrant this evening Milady. May I have the pleasure of knowing the name of this fine vintage of wine sitting with me? Your bouquet aroma is sweet with hints of rosewood and dare I say lavender. You are a very intoxicating fine wine, Milady.” I muse to her.

“My name is Elizabeth, but you may call me whatever you wish Milord. You truly flatter me with your kind words that flow from your lips like a waterfall.” She responds.

“La tentatrice est de semer la semence du péché. Il est honteux que je souhaite récolter ses graines un rčglement de comptes pourrait ętre dans l'ordre.” Gaston said with rapid fire words in my head that I could not keep up. Then he moves my hand to her ass and pinches her as hard as he can. Inside my head, I am stoking a quiet fire that has been building since almost as soon as Gaston has joined with me.

Elizabeth stands with a shout of surprise and alarm. “Watch IT!” she yells breaking the calm of conversation with the other patrons and their girls. Phillip Reed’s attention upon the room suddenly changes to only what is going on here at my table.

“I am so sorry, Lady Elizabeth but…” I falter trying to think of something to add. “Your vintage is too sour for my tongue this evening. Here take these for your troubles. Perhaps this tavern does not have what I am looking for. I had thought I could find it here.” Smoothly I say with help from Gaston, who was feeding me the lines. I pluck out five coins and place it in her hand before she left the table with a small huff. Mr. Reed made his way to my table and groans loudly.

“I don’t want trouble and you are trouble.” He clearly made his point to me.

I undo my hefty coin pouch and set it on the table with a loud thump. I look to the bag then to Reed then back to the bag again. “Now if only I could find something here to my liking. I have journeyed a long way and I just wish to have a good long taste of a nice selection of lady wine and so far the vintage you offer has been---sour with age. I need something sweeter, something just corked in the bottle. Do you have anything like that here, or do I have to take my patronage elsewhere?” I ask as jingle the bag for emphasis.

His brow furrows in thought contemplation as I look to him. He must not be a well educated man, evident by the length of time it is taking him to grasp the simple concept I laid out to him just minutes before. Finally, I notice his face smoothes with realization that I might take my golden coins to another place. He did not want that nor will his boss. He definitely will not like that he let a large spender just slip through his fingers.

“Wait here and do not cause any more trouble. I am going to get someone that can help you.” He says firmly before he moves across the room to where John Thatcher is sitting. Somehow while I was busy with Elizabeth, I fail to notice that Katy and Callie are sitting with Thatcher now. He looks to be instructing Katy about something that I can’t make out. I wish I could read lips.

Then Reed speaks closely to Thatcher and points me out. Thatcher nods and gives a smile to Reed before he stands from the table. As Thatcher walks with Reed towards me I notice a slight grin that pops to his lips after he looks to Katy then to my money pouch on the table. The line had been cast and it seems I have a nibble on the bait.

“My associate here tells me you have an interest in some of my wares?” his cool tone voice asks.

“Yes, but your wine selection has left me wanting yet so far.” I rebut.

“From what Mr. Reed has told me you but have only tasted one vintage as you have eloquently put it. I have many more for you to choose from.” He glibly imparts to me.

“Sir, I have looked over all in the room I believe and do not see the vintage I require to have a full bodied experience here in your establishment.” I said completely full of shock at how easy it was to respond to him with my internal fire of hatred burning ever more hotly now that he was so close to me.

“Hmmm. What do you wish to have?” He inquires as he greedily looks down to my full coin purse.

“I wish to drink the soft taste of fruit freshly plucked from the vine recently. Not something that has sat for a few years to age for a rich bold taste. I want something prickly, sweet, and full of surprises.” I counter.

“Ahhhh! I feel understand you fully now. I have just the thing you want. However.” He pauses for dramatic effect. “For such a delicate vintage as that, you will have to understand that it will not come cheaply. Finding wine so fresh is very rare and therefore I must hike up the price for the sampling of it.” He says to me with the face of a man setting up his own bait to get me to agree to an exorbitant price.

“I gladly will pay your price if you can deliver to me an eventful evening in private with this young wine.” I add.

I can see Thatcher internally think over how much he should set the price. I know he feels he is losing money on the deal with the Spaniard, so I am sure he will at least set the price close to the amount he was losing. He will not go for all of it at once because he thinks he has a couple of days to offer up Katy to the seedy men that frequent his house of bliss. Soon his thoughts gathers into a price, easily spotted by the movement his brow gives just before he speaks to me.

“100 gold coins for the exclusive rights to the first taste of my new vintage.” He states.

“100, you say?” I pause a minute in fake contemplation. “I agree to this amount only if you can give total privacy and fulfill every desire I can imagine this evening. Do we have a deal?” I ask. Greed outweighs caution and as soon as I finish speaking my question, Thatcher speaks his answer.

“Done.” His solo word of agreement said with exuberance. “Katy, come over here and meet the acquaintance of--- I am sorry I did not get your name.”

“Jean Anslot of Calais.” I say.

Katy hesitantly moves from Callie’s side over from across the room with a look of foreboding. Callie gives her a smile, as to say it will be ok and good luck all rolled up into one giant smile. Katy walks up to my table and did a small curtsey to me with a small smile. She looks me over, inspecting whom she will be spending her first night with; at least she thinks she will be having her first night with. I can see easily my disguise is more than enough and she does not recognize me from earlier in the evening. My amalgamation with Gaston had produced some fruit after all.

“Katy this is Lord Jean. I have granted his request to spend the evening with you. Show him to your new room upstairs.” He states to her with a certain tone that bites into any resistance she may have held.

“Of course I will. Lord Jean, follow me.” She says as she takes my hand with her soft, dainty, and innocent touch, leading me to the back hallway and up the stairs. I can feel her confusion through her hand. The conflicting ideas in her head of losing her virginity, the loss of a father figure; for a real father would not sell her virginity away so crudely, the graciousness towards Thatcher for keeping her clothed and sheltered since the passing of her mother, and finally the wonderment and curiosity of sex; it had been so much a part of her life in the tavern for so long and she had never taken part in it.

“Here is my room, Milord.” She says with a simple smile as she opens the door.

“Yes, go to the bed while I make sure we are alone.” I instruct her as I close the door behind us and look for a lock, only to find that it locks on the outside only.

“Lord Jean?” Katy asks with confusion. “Is this the way you want me to sit?” She asks as she sprawls out the foot of the bed in the fashion of one of the courtesans downstairs might have if they were here.

Turning to her I give her a long look with a sigh. It was then I felt the chill come in from behind me. Meghan finally made her way into the room; Robert had come through in finding her. Moving to the foot of the bed near Katy I motion with my hands for her to sit up.

“Katy I have something important to show you and tell you.” I say this with my real voice, not the French that Gaston spoke with in his lifetime.

“Sir?” She says with a strange look about her.

I reach out and touch the hand that Meghan extends to me. On my grasp she becomes fully realized. Her skin, clothing, hair, and everything fully fleshed. She smiles to her daughter and waits for me to speak.

“Katy your mother is here and has asked me to help you. You are in danger.” I say with the best caring tone I can.

Katy bolts up from the bed to a standing position. Fear grips her hard and she quivers with a whimper. Over and over she marches in place on the bed, as like she wants to flee but her legs don’t let her move but up and down in place. Tears well in the corner of her eyes and she starts to sob slightly.

“Are you a Devil? You bring a ghost to kill me? Take me? Or do you just will to plague me with nightmares?” Katy says with a small amount of moxie and resolve to face what she perceives is a threat to her.

“Katy. I am your mother. I know you remember me.” Meghan says in trying to calm her with her words of remembrance.

Then when I see Katy shake her head in denial, a soft melodic song floats in the room from Meghan. “Baa, baa, black sheep, Have you any wool? Yes ma’am, yes ma’am, three bags full. One for my master, one for my Dame, and one for the little girl down the lane.”

Meghan’s singing spurts from her mouth giving a sensation of warmth and safety. It is like her melody spreads from her like caring arms, wrapping themselves about you and cuddling you like a newborn babe. I feel it myself and I see that Katy does to. Her and my eyes widen softly letting the sweet embracing comfort us and let us drift into the tranquility of the song. Smiles appear on both Katy and I, full of ease and hopefully remembrance in Katy.

Katy sits down slowly as the song came to its conclusion. “Mamma?” she asks.

“Yes, Baby.” Meghan sooths. “This is Liam al’Ias not Jean Anslot. I came to him to help me save you. The man you know as John Thatcher killed me, to keep me silent and now he means to sell you into sex slavery and have you end up worse than I did in life, as a whore.”

Katy jumps from the bed and hugs her mother with tears streaming down her cheeks. It takes all of my strength not to lose my hold of Meghan’s hand. Katy’s tears are no longer tears from fear, but tears of joy from seeing her mother again.

“Mother I never will forget you. Every night I sing myself to sleep with the same song you used to sing to me.” Katy says with a few chokes of sheer joy overwhelming her speech.

“Baby. Katy. You need to go with Liam. He will lead you to safety away from all of this. Will you go with him?” Meghan pleads to her child.

Katy looks to me and nods. I see the trust she now has for me build exponentially with the backing from her mother. She smiles wide and happily to me before she speaks. “Yes mother I will. Liam what-----LOOK OUT!” she shouts too late.

I heard just a clap of thunder in my head right after Katy said look out. As I fall to the ground with a gravity heavy thunk, I think I hear broken glass clattering on the floor and the smell of wine. A dark tide starts to wash over me as I lie on the floor of the bedroom. Just before the waters of unconsciousness take me I hear the far off and hollow voice of Katy.

“Callie he was here to help me! Is he alright? Wait! He is starting to stand up! Liam?”

Oddly I am not standing up at all, I am drowning in this cold black tidewater taking me under and I just can’t keep myself awake a moment longer.
Back to top Go down
XvXKyriahXvX
Story Book Author

ME :

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbMon Aug 08, 2011 8:36 pm

((This is so interesting. Popcorn anyone? I can't wait for the next installment while I sit on the edge of my seat.))
Back to top Go down
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

PostSubject: First Impression-7th of julius--inside Silent O   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbTue Aug 16, 2011 9:49 pm

“Doofrn goor nefer Idiot!” I hear as I am being pulled from the icy black water of unconsciousness. To my amazement, I fly from the water and fall into a light surf rapping against a sandy beach with a little splash.

“Idiot, letting the water take you will cause us more harm and cause the harm of those under our protection.” The eerily familiar voice says to me as I begin to stand up from the lapping water.

“God damn!” I say as I whip my head around to look to see who is giving me verbal abuse. To my dismay a young lad no more than eleven years old is standing in the water coming up to his thighs. He has black hair, hard green eyes with icy flakes, and looks to be tall for his age. How did this boy fling me from the depths of the water? Suddenly another question pops into my head. Why does he speak with the tone and bass of an adult’s voice?

“You are just a boy.” I plainly say.

“I am everything but just a boy.” He says condescendingly.

I look quizzically at him for a moment. Unexpectedly the ground shakes with a great force, imposing on me and the boy to keep our balance. At the same time we tumble into the surf with a splash. Angrily I stand again from the frigid black water with closed fists and wrath burning in my eyes. All of this is getting to me. First, I am in some strange vast ocean of cold black water, when last I checked I was in a room in a brothel with my client and her daughter, Katy. Secondly, I am not alone in this bewildering place, I have a condescending young man who just stares at me with deflated and disappointing eyes to me. Lastly, our environment, prison, or even maybe my delusion, is unstable and even now as I am thinking about this, the world rumbles and rolls again.

“So are you going to just sit there all day and think about what is happening or are you going to start doing something about----anything!” says the annoying lad.

“Give me a break will you? What---Where----No, what is going on here?” My mind is racing faster than my mouth can speak.

“I can tell you, but you never listen.” He responds.

“Look, I don’t have time for this. If you have something to add to this conversation that will help me wrap my head around this crazy beach scene, I am all ears.” I earnestly say.

“Look imbécile, you are in your mind. A castoff from the control of your body, thrown into the bowels of your brain, is how you ended up here. Whatever item that knocked you out made it possible for our guest to assume control and shut you out. If I had not taken you from the waters of comatose, he might have been able to permanently seal us off.” He diligently informs me.

“Stop that this instant. What give you the right to call me an idiot or an imbecile at all? You are just a kid I have never laid eyes on before.” I exclaim.

“Still haven’t figured it out yet eh?” he laughs as he asks.

“No I haven’t ok! Stop harassing me about it and Damn IT just tell me.” I yell.

“Look at me stupid. Really look close.” He says.

So I do just that, look at him. At first inspection I notice the ragged clothing that hangs on his body. His shirt is the right size in the shoulders, but way too long in the sleeves and the overall length of the shirt. All over it is spots of dirt and grime from what may be months of being unwashed and worn holes in the fabric exposing his underarms and various places over his belly.

His trousers are much in the same state that his shirt is in. Holes, dirt, grime, and signs of being worn for a lengthy time period without being washed are the items they have in common, but the differences are only a few. One leg was significantly shorter than the other, as if a giant beast clawed off the portion of cloth over his leg. The waistline hugs his hips tightly because of a woven rope of what seems to be wild grass.

It is then I notice he is barefoot on one foot and a partially broke sandal barely clings to the other. Brown leather bands tattered from over- use bind his sole to his foot tenuously. I had a pair of sandals similar to those when I was young, before my family regained some honor that had previously been wasted by an ancestor. Then all of the signs that I have missed until now swirl in my mind; His clothing, the sandals, his hair, his eyes, his voice and attitude. He is me as a kid, but with sorta my voice.

“You are me?” I ask.

“Dawn finally breaks! Glory BE!” He sarcastically exclaims.

“If you are me, then why is your voice slightly different my own?” I pose.

“It is not different than yours. Your ears hear differently inside than they do outside.” He laughs as he answers.

“Why do I---you look like I did as a young lad?” I raise to him.

“I look as I do because of how you treat me, ignored. Children are the world’s most ignored culture and combine that with your own feelings from our past when we were ignored the most, when we were very poor nobles with only a speck of land.” He retorts.

I blink. He is right of course. It all makes sense now, except the beach and surf.

“Ah, what is with the beach locale?” I ask.

“We come here when we go unconscious. The one place where we are perfectly happy to spend the time we are out cold. Do you not recognize it?” he asks.

I look to our surroundings with intent scrutiny. A cold dark sea rolling on to a yellow sand beach covered in a light fog with hints of vegetation just beyond the rocks that line the back end of the beach. I can see tall deciduous trees mixes with giant pines just beyond the translucent fog bank. Slowly, I start to remember exactly where we are, it is just missing a young woman, Rebecca my wife, crying and franticly kicking the surf before falling into it. This is where I met her for the first time. I walked right over those stones with a sword in hand and tried to apprehend her for causing a nuisance back in my English controlled town in her native France.

“I must find her.” I say in a haze.

Younger me’s firm grip on my wrist rips me from my dream state. “No, we need to get back in control. Concentrate Henry. From what I can hear from our vile guest, Katy and Callie are in trouble.” He says with a sensible tone to bring me from my temporary vapor.

“What!?” I exclaim.

“Calm yourself down and open your ears. Think to yourself only about listening. To hear anything and everything.” He coolly tells me.

I close my eyes and calm myself by imagining myself sitting in my chair back in the Caretaker Tower. A warm fire in the fireplace and a frothy mug of ale sweating on a table top next to me is the perfect tranquil and calm place to be right now. Just as soon as I settle into my ideal place of relaxation, I begin to hear him, Gaston, speaking to someone. I can’t hear a response from whomever he is speaking to, but I can hear his words clearly now.

“Such a young beauty you are Katy. Soon you will be seducing men into oblivion with your sinful desires and mad hunger for power. Your gender should be eradicated from the earth.” Gaston heavy French accented English rants.

“Liam? He is safely sleeping into a permanent prison, where he will find no exit.” He answers to an unheard question.

“I need to get back in control. How do I get off this beach?” I quickly ask the image of a younger me.

“You just have to focus yourself into state of mind with absolutely no thought but your goal. It can take people months just to grasp the concept of the idea, let alone to actually accomplish it.” He says with some pity mixed in his tone of voice.

“I have to try. I believe he means to hurt Katy.” I add.

“Indeed he does. When I spoke to him earlier, when you were in charge upstairs, I came to the conclusion that he is one demented and evil soul. Who in life took great pleasure in killing women.” He states with grave resolution to instill how dire the situation is to me.

“Close your eyes and clear your thoughts away. Focus on your goal to be one with yourself and to be awake in yourself. Use imagery if it helps, but do not let the details of your imagery bog down your focus.” He instructs.

I clear my mind. I imagine only void, the nothing, floating in utter darkness, the black enveloping my mind. Off in the distance I imagine myself standing in front of the door to the Caretaker Tower. My goal is to get to him, me in control and ready to act. So I try to swim there to no avail. Next I try to jump the gap to my image, but again I fail, for I feel that I am wearing iron footwear.

I open my eyes and look to ratty younger me. “It isn’t working. I can’t get to my goal.”

“I told you it would be hard. I do have an idea. Motivation always seems to move you when things are dire, this should be no different than then. This certain type of motivation is our forte.” He offers to me.

“Alright, let’s do it.” I say with anticipation. “Wait. Are you just a figment of my imagination or something else?” I ask.

He laughs with his whole body before he answers me. “No I am not a figment of your imagination. You actually listen to what they have to say. I am your inner self, your gut feeling, your hidden and unhidden desires and goals. I speak to you in silent whispers to aid you in all our endeavors. Sometimes, although rare, you listen to me. Most times I am ignored and hence why I look as I do, a child in rags and down on its luck. I do not always have the right answer for you, but you can listen and make a sound judgment after weighing what I have given to you in advice. Do that more often please. You are killing us inside, you and me.”

Taking that all in froze me. He is there to help but hints that he might not always have the right answer. I nod to him then I ask him a question I knew that the answer will be no. “Are you my conscience?”

“I am not that stick in the mud! Never call me that again.” He says after some laughter that turns into a stern look. “Alright, ready to take control?” He asks.

“Yes.” I answer.

“The only motivation guaranteed to get you properly in the right state of mind. In time you will have been able to do it, but as you said we don’t have the time to get you there.” He pauses a moment before continuing, as if he is building the tension.

“Well?” I impatiently ask.

“If you don’t take control you will AGAIN break another promise.” He shouts.

His shrieking words shot into me like an arrow, piercing my thoughts and setting my purpose. I am not going to break this promise. I am not going to let another life be taken because of my inabilities. I wrap myself in the black of the void. I clear everything from my mind. I see my goal and just like was as easy as walking a single step, I reach it.

Rage and fury erupt from my words as I cast Gaston from my body in a concussive blast that sweeps him away into the corner of the room. “Laissez-moi ŕ la fois!”

“Liam?” Katy says with a whimper huddled in the corner of the room with Callie holding her tight.

“Yes, it is me. Let’s get out----“I say before I am interrupted by a seizure. I fall to the ground in convulsions. Every bone in my body all at the same time starts to grow quickly. My hair changes and my face muscles contort harshly, sending me unbearable pain that forces me to cry out with banshee like wails. After a few minutes, with weak knees and a center of balance of newborn babe, I stand as I really am; Liam A. al’Ias the Caretaker of Lost Souls and causes. I am back to how normally look all of six foot seven, my raven color hair, and grim demeanor.

“Katy get up! We need to leave.” I order. Then out of the blue, Gaston flies over to me and throws a right cross. He connects with my face and pain ripples through me as my head turns to the side from the blow. Katy and Callie can see Gaston appear once his fist makes contact with my face.

Spitting blood I sneer at the Frenchman. “You are so going to regret that!” I say vehemently.

“You are going to do nothing but die! I will pummel you to death before you even whittle me down to half of what I am.” He retorts in defiance followed by another cross this time to my shoulder.

Grimacing from the next blow, taking note that it will leave a hefty bruise, I move into a ready fighting position. Thinking quickly of the problem at hand, I come to the conclusion that he is right. I can hit him over and over, but eventually he will be a shred of a spirit, but not before he can inflict real damage to me. What am I to do? Flee with the girls in tow? No, that would not get Katy free from Thatcher just place her back in his cruel arms. Think Liam, think. Then somewhere deep inside me a nugget of information dangles in my thoughts, a simple but elegant distinction will be my saving grace, even with the irony of what saves my hide.

“Liam you wish to save these ladies, but they need to die. They need to taste the flavor of hard steel pressed hard into their treacherous hearts. A quick death to the creatures of Hell is all any woman should get. Of course after a few sweet tastes of their flesh first.” He rambles as he circles me looking for an opening to attack.

“An interesting choice of a word, Gaston. Hell.” I give a quick shake of my head before I speak again. “You are not a ghost bound here on earth. You are a spirit, a soul, already judged and only here because I tore you away from that binding.” I give a small wiry smile.

Gaston’s eyes furrow in confusion. “You are going to lose Liam. Your game at buying time is not going to work. Time for you to go.” He snarls.

“Exactly!” I bark. “Time for you to go!” I add. I raise my posture and turn and face Gaston. I take one step with a steely purpose behind it. An aura of authority pulsates from me as I open my mouth.

Revertere to ubi sunt!” I say harshly in Latin. “Meae dimittam vobis adhaeret. Quod si qui tibi se protinus te.” I roar as the throaty Latin words streak out my mouth.

Just as the last word leaves my lips a thunderous boom shakes me and Gaston. Katy and Callie stare at me with wide eyes, unsure of anything that is happening until the unholy light rips from an earthen toothy maw that appears as the floor behind Gaston. The very floorboards of the brothel, broken and in shards become its front row of teeth. Following it is rows upon rows of sharp fire kissed obsidian teeth in many different shapes and sizes. Its mouth opens allowing tendrils of sticky hellfire to jaunt to and fro, its stink poisoning the air. A large bellow of a bestial howl echoes out from it.

“Gaston Moreau you are MINE!” A voice screeches from the open maw inducing a panic state in my wards, who are cowering in the corner.

“No! No!” Gaston says as he begins to run towards the nearest wall to flee from the hellion.

Instantly a fire consumed barbed chain unfurls from deep down the throat of the demon portal and wraps itself around Gaston’s neck, choking him and binding him tight.

“You see Gaston. I realized a moment ago that you are not a ghost. You are a soul. Very similar things, but not exactly alike. Not only are you a soul, but you are a judged soul. So, I just released my binding I had on you when I pulled you from Hell earlier tonight. So you are wrong, I can hurt you.” I say with a large smile on my face. “Now get the Hell out of my SIGHT!” I yell victoriously.

The fiery chain starts to pull him into the maw. His form is wriggling against the bonds that hold him. I can see that he is trying to say something to me, but his throat is held closed by the ripping barbed chain that is wrapped about his neck.

He falls to the floor with a thud and then is slowing being drug across the room into the demonic mouth. Once Gaston is near the mouth clamps down on him, piercing his soul with excruciating pain. He is being gnarled, ripped, and smashed as he is being consumed by the teeth riddled maw of Hell. He deserves more than what he is getting and I am quite sure Hell will give him more than he should.

“Caretaker! You are next!” a ear puncturing voice exclaims as the fire laced barbed chain whips out of the mouth like a chameleon’s tongue grabbing a fly towards me.

I stare down the chain as it lashes at me, fully knowing that it has no hold over me like it did over Gaston. The chain then just passes through me like it was substance less. The jaw of Hell bellows in anger and speaks again.

“One day Caretaker things will be different and you will not be able to slip my touch.” It moans with a threat.

“Not today!” I quip with playful wit. “When the day comes when you can get me, I’ll still slip past you.”

I quickly gather the girls and pull them to the door to get out of here as the giant mouth shrinks back from whence it came. Hurrying down the hallway towards the staircase, Callie and Katy hear familiar voices coming from the foot of the stairs and touch my shoulder to slow my pace so I can hear it too.

“I hear Mason and Reed.” Katy whispers.

“John is there too.” Adds Callie.

I shuffle my steps to the edge of the stair and crane my neck to hear the conversation going on below better.

“WHAT!” Thatcher shouts.

“The Spaniard has returned SIR.” Reed says with a flat voice.

“He arrived with three armed men under his employ.” Mason adds to what Reed said.

“Did he say why he is back already?” Thatcher asks.

“I want what the Father paid for!” The Spaniard interrupts.

“This is not what was bargained for!” Thatcher yells. “Two days you were to return to fetch her. Not a few hours!”

“We set sail in two hours and I will collect the Father’s property NOW! I am sure you will understand that I will not back down, nor will my men.” The Spaniard says with his heavy accent, with special emphasis on the last part.

There is a long drawn out pause of silence. I can just imagine the thought rolling in Thatcher’s mind. He definitely doesn’t like being threatened in his own place of business. Nor would I. This Spaniard and the fore mentioned Father he speaks for must be powerful enough to make Thatcher pause to think. Thatcher is a fox and the Spaniard is a wolf. Thatcher will bow down to a bigger predator this time. Though the fox will craft a tricky ploy I am sure in the future to sneak a prize from the wolf. The silence is broken when Thatcher speaks again, breaking me from my thoughts.

“Fine, Reed, Mason, go collect her from upstairs.” Thatcher orders aloud.

Then the sounds of shuffling feet towards the stairway gives me pause.

“Girls, is there another way out of here from upstairs?” I whisper in an even tone hoping not to panic them.

“No.” They both say at the same time.

“Quickly now follow me.” I order with care in my voice.

We go back into Katy’s room, scanning the room for anything to help us with the trouble that is coming up the stairs. I spy a few things that will slow them down. I close the door to the room and with help from both of the girls I get the bed in front of the door, barring it from being open easily. Then we work on a big chest of drawers and place it behind the bed adding extra weight to keep the door closed.

“What next, Liam?” Katy asks with a reserved hope.

“When there are no exits in life, you make your own!” I say as I reach and pull a drawer from the chest, taking it with both hands, I turn my torso and fling the thing into the window with all my strength. The crash of glass and wood explodes out into the night’s air, falling to the ground below in a shower of sharp rain. A female cry of alarm rises up from the alleyway below us. I look down to see a woman in an elegant green hooded cloak flustering removing the glass from her attire and stepping away from the shards of debris on the ground.

“Sorry for the trouble Milady. We are in a rush!” I call out to her as I place a hand on what once was the window sill. Immediately after I speak, I curse aloud for a single curved piece of glass has remained in its place in the sill and it cut a deep gash across my left hand.

“Are you ok, Liam?” Katy says as she and Callie run to me.

I am just about to tell them it will not be a worry, when the door to the room has three resounding bangs thump into the stout wood of the door.

“I will be better when we are down in the alley. Let’s get going.” I say with frown. A chase is something I wish to avoid. I want just want us to melt into the darkness of the night. Now that Thatcher’s thugs are at the door and I have one young pretty woman and one gorgeous woman to look after and I need to get them far from this place quickly. Melting into the night’s shroud of darkness will most likelycause us to be harried by pursuers in the pale moon light, making it hard for us to blend into the shadows.

This rabbit is going to give a wild chase.
Back to top Go down
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

PostSubject: First Impression 7th of Julius the streets outside the Silent O   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbTue Aug 23, 2011 7:34 pm

“Callie you go out the window first!” I tell her as I am clearing away any other pieces of broken glass that might cut someone else. She nods slightly and hurries towards me and the window. She gives only a slight glance over her shoulder to where Katy is standing in a very visible state of fear. I can read Callie’s face like a book, she is wary of leaving Katy’s side even for a moment. She most likely has been a confidant, a friend, even a mother figure, and finally a protector to Katy for the almost the entirety of Katy’s life.

Getting her out this window first and without Katy going with her at the same time is a miracle. This speaks to the quickly earned trust I gained in Callie’s eyes. Perhaps it is just she has her faith in Katy’s absolute trust in me and Callie is trusting Katy’s opinion on me. Never the less, time is our enemy right now along with those brutes pounding on the door. It is past the time to have all of us out the window and on the stone alley below it.

“Hustle up Callie. Katy get over here, you are next out the window. I am going to bring up the rear just in case our friends get through the door before all of us are out the window.” I state with a brisk tone.

Callie stoops and steps through the window onto the small portion of tiling making up the roof on this two level building. Her legs wobble dizzyingly as she peers over the edge and down below. The height between us and the alley is only about fifteen feet or so, by my estimation. Far enough down that we might take some scrapes or bruises, but not too far to hurt ourselves majorly.

“Callie sit down first with your legs hanging off the edge of the roof. Then I want you to turn over to your stomach and as you do that slowly lower your body down off the ledge. This will lower the distance you will fall significantly. Then when you are ready, I want you to let go and try to land on the front half of the bottom of your feet then roll with the momentum. Do not land on your feet flat.” I explain to her clearly and slowly as I could with the ever dwindling time we have.

Callie sits down nervously on the edge and looks over the edge once again. Then slowly she tries to turn herself over onto her stomach.

“You can do it Callie!” Katy says reassuringly.

Once Callie gets to her stomach she begins to try and lower herself more over the edge. Then suddenly she starts to slide off the edge very fast. She loses her grip and she plummets over the side to where I can’t see her anymore.

“CALLIE!!” Katy and I scream over the wails coming from Callie as she falls. I nudge Katy to the side so I can lean out over the edge and look down to Callie. I see her on the ground sitting on her rump sobbing with tears on her cheeks as she rubs her right ankle with both hands.

“Callie, are you alright?” I ask caringly.

After a few more cries she looks up to us and nods. “I hurt my ankle some but the rest of me is alright.” She answers aloud with rosy cheeks of embarrassment on her face.

“Your turn, Katy. Make sure you have a good grip before you lower yourself.” I instruct.

Katy being smaller than Callie is out the window without any problems. She quickly gets to her stomach and begins to lower herself slowly. The door behind me makes a large shattering noise which makes Katy slide faster than she wants to. Rapidly though and before I can reach out to help, Katy stops her slide by grabbing the edge of the roof tightly with her hands. Then once she is fully hanging over the edge she just lets go and falls to her feet below with a roll and small thump as she collides with a broken cargo box.

I turn and look to what the commotion is behind me. I expect that the door is wide open now, but am relieved to see that all they managed to do is push open the door enough to get their hands inside the frame to help pry the door open more.

I don’t stand and watch a moment longer. I squeeze my way through the window, taking care of my wounded left hand. I leave large amounts of blood that stain the wood frame of the window where my hand had rested as I pass through the window. Quickly, I sit with my legs dangling over the edge and bend over to look down.

“Look out!” I call down to them before I jump off from my seated position.

I find a place to land before I shove off the roof and hit my target perfectly when I did jump, landing on the toes of my feet and then rocking back to my balls of my feet. I wave my hands over and over trying to keep my balance and then after a few seconds of hilarious flapping arms I regain my balance.

“Katy? Callie? Is everyone ok?” I ask.

“Yes, Liam. Just ran into this crate over here and bumped my shoulder some.” Katy answers.

“I hope I am. My ankle hurts a lot, sir.” Callie says with tear streaking down her cheeks as she looks up to me with her eyes pleading for me to help her somehow.

“Can you stand?” I ask Callie as I place my hands under her arms to help her up.

Callie shrugs and begins to try and rise to her feet. She gets on to her left leg easily enough, but her right ankle gives out from the pressure of her body weight on her injured ankle. I catch her before she falls and pull her upright, placing her weight on me for support.

This is going to slow us way down. My plan was to be a fast run darting from street to street in haphazard fashion in an attempt to lose them in the byways of the City. That isn’t going to work now. No matter what we can’t just sit here and think about what we are going to do, we have to go, and get going this instant.

Then I notice that woman from earlier, the woman wearing the green embroidered cloak. She is standing in a shadow cast by a few cargo boxes stacked atop of each other with the moon high behind them in the sky. She turns her head from the left to the right, six or seven times in a row. It looks like she is looking for something or someone. Hiding perhaps? I did not have time for this. She doesn’t know this but being around us right now is a sure fire way to get tangled up in the trouble I caused by spiriting away these woman from evil men.

“Milady, I am sorry for shouting but I just kicked a hornet’s nest up there and trouble is coming my way. I would get as far away from us as you can, so you are not mixed up in it as well.” I explain to her.

I still can’t make out anything about her physically. The shadow and her hood on her cloak over her head make it impossible to make out anything. I only know that she is a woman from her cries of alarm earlier, when I accidently showered her in broken glass from the window I smashed. I am sure she heard my words because she ran off right as I start to speak to Katy. I am not certain which way she ran, hopefully we don’t follow her.

“Katy this way.” I say as I move with Callie down the alley as quickly as we can. From behind us I can hear Mason yell that we are in the alley behind the tavern to someone inside Katy’s room. They must have finally made it through my barricade.

Once we make the corner we take a left and move east under the moonlight and try to give as much distance we can before anyone can get outside and make chase. It is not long at all when I hear running footsteps pound the stones that make up the streets coming from behind us. I turn my head over my shoulder as we move down the street to see how many are chasing us. Three unknown men holding swords in their hands are giving chase and when they get to a cross road that we passed a few minutes ago, they split up. One follows us from behind, the other going south taking the right turn, and the third doing the opposite and going north with a left turn.

“We have to go faster!” I yell.

Splitting up is not a good tactic when we are obviously moving slower than they are. The three of them could have overtaken us within a minute or too. Perhaps they did not know one among us is injured.

Then in the back corner of my mind a quiet whisper is given to me. “Leave her. Save yourself and the girl. She is all you need to fulfill your promise. Keeping this one, although albeit a well endowed asset in other circumstances, will only slow us down and cause you to break another promise and get yourself killed.”

I roll his advice in my head for only a fraction of a second. Internally I shout back to the voice. “No way, I will not chance that she will not go unharmed. She has seen too much. All of us are going to get out of this. If you don’t have any actual help for me then, be quiet.”

I stop moving and bend down and scoop Callie up into my arms so I can carry her. Katy stops and looks to me with frighten eyes. Callie whispers into my ear as I begin to run. “Thank you, I am not sure I could have taken many more steps.”

Like a lightning strike, quick and hard, I have an idea pop into my head. Once we make the next cross street we take a hard right. We have only a minute I surmise until the man at our back catches up to us now that we come to a stop just around the corner.

“Katy, listen to me and do exactly as I say without any questions. Move over to the other side of the street and when you see the man come to the corner and begin to make his turn, like we just did, I want you to shout to him. Shout to him, help me.” I forcibly drill into her. She quickly nods and moves into position.

I set Callie down against the wall of a building, making sure not to bump her ankle on anything. I slowly move towards the corner of the building pressing myself against the wall flat. I feel around the ground for anything to help me in my surprise attack. I have to bring the battle to our pursuers, especially now that they have made it easier to do so with them separated. My left palm burns with the dirt and accumulated grime of the street rubbing against my bleeding cut on my left hand. My right hand finally finds something hard and wooden with a thin metal handle going from one side to the other. I quickly close my hand on the metal and wait for the right time to strike.

“HELP ME!!!!” Katy screams with real tears streaming from her eyes as our assailant rounds the corner. I swing my weapon of opportunity with my full weight across his hand holding his weapon. The blow smashes what used to be a wooden bucket to smithereens in my hand and causes the man to curse aloud and drop his sword to the street.

The man freezes from our surprise attack and the quick disarming of his weapon. I immediately press the advantage and smash my right foot into the side of his right knee cap. I use a hard front kick with all of my weight behind it and when my foot connects with his knee, a very large popping sound snaps loud enough for everyone to hear.

He folds to the ground instantly with a long groan of pain spilling from his lips like drool. His knee is broken and will not be able to stand easily any time soon. I move atop him in a straddling position and grab the back of his head with my bloody left hand, raising it off the ground to look at me. He has dark hair and an olive like skin tone, but that is hard to determine in the moonlight and shadows of the street.

I raise my right hand and curl it into a hammer fist. As the man’s eyes adjust to stare at me with fury, I throw a right haymaker into the left side of his face, breaking his nose with a crunch and sending the man into a deep unconscious state. I drop his head from my grip leaving his hair bloody from my seeping wound and letting it bounce off the stones of the street.

“One down, two to go!” I whisper as I get off the sleeping man.

“Oh mon dieu!” a female voice shouts from my right. I turn towards the voice and spot the mysterious Lady in the green cloak from earlier. The moonlight blankets her cloaked form in a pale shimmering fog with tiny glimmers that sparkle when the moonlight hits the tiny shards of window glass still caught in the fabric of her cloak. She is tall for a woman, but not a giantess. Her elegant and well made cloak covers everything else about her like a spy protects its secrets that it has gathered.

“Good evening again, Milady. I suggest you choose another route, for strife follows us yet.” I playfully say to her. The footfalls of Katy behind me have me turn to look to her for a moment before I return my gaze to the Lady in Green, but she vanishes into the night before I can see which way she runs off to, so we can avoid bringing our dangers towards her again.

“Liam? What are we going to do next?” Katy asks as she leans into me with her body, shielding herself from any danger that might appear next.

“We run. There is at least two more are out here and closing in on us. If we catch a glimpse of one of them, then we will see if we can arrange something similar to happen to him like we did to this one.” I say as I point to the man prone in the street.

“ˇAlto! La liberación de su inmediato ladrón” a Spanish cry from the right alerts us, bringing the urgency of us leaving even more prominent.

“You can’t have her.” I yell back as I scoop up Callie into my arms and begin to run back east, the way we originally where heading.

“Que les siguen por detrás, voy a tratar de círculo alrededor de él para atraparlos entre nosotros.” A second Spanish speaking voice adds, but this one is coming left of us, down the street further from where I handled the first man. These men are closer than I want and I need to hurry before they are able to trap us.

We rush to the next crossroad and take a left passing building after building of closed doors. Not a single window with light coming out from inside.

Fatigue starts to set in from all the running while I am carrying Callie in my arms. We round the next corner taking another left and we come to a stop so I can rest. Just ahead I can see the outline of a man with his back to us, his bare arm exposed in the moonlight grabbing a woman in a hooded cloak by the throat. He is shouting at her in Spanish.

“żDónde está la joven?” He shouts at her again.

I tell Callie and Katy to be quiet with a single finger over my lips before I creep down the street towards the man. Once I am close enough to see the man and the woman in the cloak, I notice that it is the Lady in the green cloak again. My trouble has found her after all. I crouch down and reach back to the hemline of my own cloak. Once I find it I deftly remove one of my long thin knives from its secret hiding place.

I rise from my crouch and step ever so silently towards the man. Each step I take I can see more of the Lady in Green. Billowing out of her jostled cloak from the front is a sheer silk dress of many shades of green. Just beneath all of that is a pair of pale green slippers, beaded with white pearls. This woman is not the type to be out at this hour without some form of company. Something is wrong other than this Spanish sot choking her.

“The girl, bitch. Where she is?” The man spits out to her in broken English.

Rapidly the scene changes as I get to within inches of the man from behind. First, the Lady in Green raised both of her hands up and combines her hands together in one large fist and smashes down on the arm of the Spanish man. Secondly, after her blow to his arm releases his hold her she kicks him in the gut.

I have never seen a woman do that in a gown such as hers before and she is fast in her fluid movements. This sends the man towards me, and I have only a fraction of second to respond. I let him fall into my chest and then I raise my knife hand up to his neck and pull the blade across it, cutting open his throat releasing a spray of blood. Then I lower my weapon and kick in the back of his leg and with one strong shove with my free but bleeding left hand, send him crashing to the street with him gurgling in shock.

Then the Lady nods to me and runs off. Behind me, Katy and Callie tap my shoulder.

“Are you ok?” Katy asks.

“Yes, two down.” I answer.

Then I hear a strange song bounce off the walls of the buildings. I can’t make out where it is coming from but I can clearly hear the words.

“Little fish, little fish, come back to us. Little green fish please swim into our net. We will hold you and squeeze you until your mouth opens. Only then can the night begin!” The pluck song sounds odd to my ears, especially the lyrics. I can hear the accent of France on their words. They must be drunken sailors, perhaps. I cannot waste any more time on these distractions.

“Callie ready for me t…” I try to say but the appearance of the last of our known pursuers coming around the corner, back where we came from stopped me from finishing my words.

“Crap, we have to go. Now.” I exclaim.

Katy, Callie and I whip around the corner as fast as we can. With Callie’s injury we are not going fast enough to increase the space between us and the man hunting us. I turn my head to look back behind us as we are fleeing and see the man draw his sword as he enters a shadow of the nearest building. He is closing in on us faster than I expected.

We reach the next intersection and take a quick right. I push the girls against the wall and prepare myself to try and take the man by surprise as he takes the same corner. I raise my hand that holds my knife and press my back to the wall of the stone-worked building. I turn my head and lay it flat against the cool and slightly wet stones.

Then the man’s running footsteps can be heard and I set myself to ready to lunge out at him. The steps are getting closer and closer imitating my own fast beating heart. Just when I can’t wait a second longer, I hear his most recent footfall is inches away from my position around the corner.

I strike at him with a full body lunge as I try and tackle him to the ground. Our bodies collide with two opposing forces but my extra weight on him wins the battle of balance. As I tackle him to the ground, I thrust my knife up under his chin waiting for gravity to aid my attack. Then we hit the ground and the force of the sudden stop, sends the knife through his chin into his mouth and up into the back of his brain stem, killing him instantly.

I struggle to free myself from him as I try and sit up. Radiating pain flashes like a beacon over and over in my left side. I can feel my face blanch like a piece of silk being pulled down my face. My eyes grow wide and my sight gets very fuzzy. Dare I seek the source of the pain?

I reach my right hand across my belly and touch a wooden handle protruding from my torso. My finger tips follow the handle down to my skin and become wet with the sticky blood trickling out from under the handle of seems to be a knife.

I didn’t see him take out a knife when he was chasing us. I did see him draw his sword, a sword that is now lying in the street in his cooling dead hand. I wipe the blood off my hand onto my trousers before the girls see it.

Removing the knife will only hasten the blood trickling out and bring me closer to dying. I have to get the ladies to safety first. I will lead them to the Tower and there they will be safe. Hopefully, no one else is out here looking for us.

“Little green fish.” A voice sings songs from down the street.

Quiet footsteps dart across the intersection towards us. Looking up I see the now often sight of the Lady in Green again. She comes to a stop a few feet away from me and bends over slightly trying to catch her breath. I hear the panting quietly seeping out from under her green hood of her cloak.

Should I offer assistance? I have already two to get to safety, but the added person might help me if my wound gets worse. I look to her again ready to offer her help but to my dismay she already was sprinting away down the street past Callie and Katy who keep looking to me for what to do next.

“Where are you little fish? You can run from us but never can you escape.” Three voices say in unison, their voices getting closer now.

“Callie and Katy, it is time to go.” I say as I limp favoring my uninjured side to them.

“Are you ok, Liam?” Callie asks with concern in her eyes.

“I will be when you two are safe.” I answer with a flat voice, hoping she leaves the subject about the knife sticking out of my side alone.

I place Callie’s arm over my shoulder to help her walk on her ankle and Katy follows along beside us. Every step I take is like being stabbed all over again. The bite of the knife is sinking deeper into my flesh, digging into my side which causes a hard grimace to streak across my face, every other step I take.

After a few minutes going away from the harbor area of the city, we come to a three way intersection. I stop moving and look both to the right and the left trying to figure out which way would be best to return to Caretaker Tower.

“Well, well. What do we have here?” A heart ripping voice asks aloud.

“NO! No! Liam, what are w” Katy bleats out until she spies something else that makes her stop in mid question.

A small tingling sensation in my ear bothers me for a second as I look to John Thatcher standing no more than 60 feet away from us. He of course is flanked by his hired goons, Reed and Mason, each holding a large sword. A whisper swirls in my mind with a panicky tone. “You have been here before Henry. Look around you. There is one door not closed to you.”

I look away from Thatcher and move my eyes from building to building until they do fall on a sight I have seen a few times before, the Ales N Tales Tavern.

“If you hand them over right now, I will only have you killed.” Thatcher offers.

Curiously the door to the Tavern is slightly open. The light from inside the tavern surges out in a thin bar of light from the gap between the edge of the door and the door jam. I lower my arm off Callie to grab her hand and squeeze it tight. Then I reach out and grab Katy’s hand and hold on to it. Hopefully it isn’t a slow night inside the Tavern. A crowd may just what I need to deflate this conflict. Someone has to be inside. Why else would the door be open?

“I will never allow them to fall in your hands again!” I yell as I run with the girls towards the door of the tavern. Each long stride sends sprays of blood from my side to the street. Familiar ground is best when making a possible last stand and the Ales N Tales is quite familiar to me.
Back to top Go down
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

PostSubject: First Impression- Ales N Tales Late 8th of Julius   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbThu Aug 25, 2011 8:19 pm

We burst into the Ales ‘n Tales Tavern. I am holding each of their hands as I quickly scan the room for the best place to make my stand. I find the place empty of people, which makes my mood sink. However this also means no collateral damage spilling onto innocents that might have been here in the late hour. I just can’t believe no one is inside. The door was ajar before we entered, I know it was. Where is the tender for the bar? We can’t catch a brake.

Quickly after I release Callie’s and Katy’s hands, I begin to toss chairs and tables over making plenty of space to maneuver in. There is going to be a fight and I aim to have an uncluttered area to do it in. I don’t have a lot of time to waste messing around with the furniture so I make short work of it.

I get done fast and then notice the large eye level tall fireplace in the far wall. That is going to be the perfect spot to place the ladies. I begin to turn to and speak to them when I think I see a fluttering of green cloth to my left opposite of the door.

Behind the bar hiding just out of sight is the mysterious woman in green again. She again finds the wrong place to be at the wrong time. Every time I have spied her in the last few minutes she has scampered off the wrong way, for it was the way we went later. “You!” I say firmly. “Get in the fireplace with Callie and Katy and stay behind me!”

She gives sharp nod indicating that she understands the danger that is coming in behind us. She sprints from behind the bar over to us. I shuffle the three of them into the large mouth of the fireplace. Thatcher and his goons, Reed and Mason, can only come at us from a direct assault. “I will keep all of you safe. I promise.” I say as I pass my last stored knife to the mystery woman and then I whisper to her quietly so she can hear me only. “In case I fail.” She gives me another nod solemnly as she takes the knife and holds it firmly at a readied position.

Thatcher and his men walk through the door. Each holding a sword as they stride towards us. Thatcher opens his mouth to speak. “Give the two back to me and I will let the new one go and only kill you.” His voice is hollow and firm. He means to do more than his promise offers, which I can see by his posture and aggressive body language.

“No, I will never go back with you. Please Liam.” Katy defiantly spurts out breaking some of the tension.

“No. I am going to deliver them to a new life, away from you.” I riposte his offer.

“Do you honestly think in your condition that you can keep me from just taking them from you?” He asks.

“Yep, stranger things have happen.” I smiled with a grimace, the knife still lodged in my side bites fiercely with every movement I make, no matter how little.

Unexpectedly, a tall Knight walks into the tavern through the south wall. A ghost, a familiar one at that, looks about the place as if looking for someone. He then begins to pace back and forth in the main room of the tavern. His path going through most of the upended furniture I terrorized moments before then circling back towards my pursuers. Also with his appearance the room instantly is covered in a bone biting chill. My panting breath fogs the air in front my face.

It was then when my plan actually had a chance. The appearance of the Knight I met a few nights back when I was here with the lady Dane. Fully clad in plate mail, Bastard sword at his side and great helm upon his head. I quickly speak to him to get his attention.

“Sir Knight! I am in need of aid in protecting these maidens from the ill intentions of nefarious men that are presently menacing me with their blades. Can I count on your steel to join with mine?” I ask.

Now, after I finish speaking to him, I count on some confusion among those that are present in the room. Callie and Katy already have had a brush with a ghost earlier and take my strange speech with a grain of salt. The mystery woman in green, John Thatcher, Mr. Reed, and Mr. Mason however have jaws wide open and the look one gives on their faces, when they see a truly mad man.

The Knight raises his visor revealing compassionate eyes full of duty and determination before he nods to me in agreement. He marches through the men and joins me at my side. He turns to me and speaks for the very first time ever to me. “I will do what I can, Good Sir.” He says with the melancholy voice of fully knowing that he will not be able to help. He is wrong of course; he just didn’t know it yet. He has me and I have him now. We make a promising team to defend the ladies. That is if I stay conscious long enough and by the look of my wound I had better get this fight going.

Thatcher moves a hand over his chin and begins to rub it with long tedious pulls on his skin about his chin. His eyes are darting back and forth between me and the ladies behind me. He is adding up the situation in his head, weighing all the factors before he acts.

“Enough of your crazed ranting, it is time for me to take back my possessions and give you eternal sleep.” Thatcher says loudly and interrupting my thoughts. “Kill him and take the girls. Including the new one, I cannot have any loose ends, no matter what.”

Mason and Reed move forward cautiously towards me. I ready my knife in my right hand and raise my left hand just over the Knight’s right shoulder, waiting for the right time. This indeed brings my attacker eyebrows to furrow in confusion. I am standing there ready to defend myself and girls with a blade in one hand and my other hand just floating in the air, almost like I am measuring the height of something with my left hand. If I had seen them do the same thing that I am doing right now I am sure that I would do something similar to what they are doing.

Reed acts first, bringing his blade high and going for a chop to cleave me down. I quickly touch the Knight as he raises his blade to intercept the sword of Reed; in what he thinks will be a fruitless parry since he cannot touch the living.

As soon as I touch him the Knight quickly appears, so all can see him now. His blade meets Reed’s with an ear banging clang that thunders the room. The Knight not missing a beat throws an armored shoulder into Reed, whom is in stunned disbelief, and he flies off his feet and falls to the ground with a slide, his sword clanging on the floor next to him.

Reed looks to the Knight at my side then to Thatcher with small amount of fear welling in his eyes. Reed is not used to being thrown down and his thoughts, I am sure are beginning to doubt the outcome coming out in their favor.

“Devil’s magic!” Thatcher exclaims as Mason takes two steps back towards his patron.

“Of course it is. Did you think I am going to play fair?” I respond with a lie. I don’t want to cut away the fear they may have of magic. Perhaps I can end this with a bluff. My eyes are starting to get droopy and my balance shakes some causing my knee to buckle slightly. A gentle hand from the Lady in Green touching my back in support helps me to stabilize and rouse myself back to a full upright stance.

“Your magic has no hold over these!” Thatcher utters as he pulls out three handcrafted pins made of small bones and seemingly dipped in blood that has dried from inside a small velvet bag he takes from the inside of his cloak.

Talismans work on faith. It appears as I watch Thatcher hand them to his men that they have used these before against something or someone brandishing magic. Now, I am not using magic and so the talismans won’t counter the Knight helping me, but now I lose the advantage of their fear of magic. That is a blow to our side. I am not sure we can withstand many more blows.

Reed stands up after fastening the pin to his tunic. He and Mason look to one another before moving back to attack us. My knees start to get weaker from my ever trickling blood loss from my prior wound I got in the street chase with the Spaniard’s men. I can feel the blood dripping out of my wound on my left side, dribbling down my hip and onto my leg, where it soaks into my pants. I need to end this confrontation soon or I will pass out from losing too much blood. This in turn means I will not be touching the Knight anymore and I will leave the ladies unprotected and fail to deliver on another promise given.

Then the Knight howls and jumps forward and rushes the men surprising them and me. I can’t keep my hand on the knight with his surprising move of his and it falls to my side. To my dismay the Knight stays in physical form. His sword swing forces each man back a few steps. Then the Knight returns to my side in defensive stance ready for their next jaunt to us.

Just as he moves back, I can’t feel my legs any longer, so I fall to my knees. The impact from the firm floor is hard and should have hurt, but I can’t feel anything but knife in the side of my torso. Then the Knight blinks out of sight from everyone but me. In the corner of my eye I see a small pool of blood, about the size of a coin underneath him on the oak planks of wood that make up the flooring of the tavern.

“You see. His magic is cancelled! Kill him, now!” Thatcher screams with an ominous tone.

How did the Knight stay tangible after my touch was gone. I look to my hand that touched him, looking at the palm; I notice it is covered in fresh blood from the large cut I got from the broken window glass inside Katy’s room at the Silent O. My blood is the answer. It is not just my touch that allows me to let the ghosts I touch become physical, it is my very essence, my bloodline, Me. He, the knight, kept his form because my blood was still wet and fresh upon him. It dried up, lost its vitality, or just passed through him to the ground not long after I had lost my grip on him, but it was merely only a couple of drops on him.

A plan came quickly to me. It is the only way to keep my promise I with such little time to think. Promptly before Mason and Reed can advance on us again, I pull the knife from my side free, sending a good shower of blood that was blocked by the blade when it was in my side. Then I use the knife to open the wound more, digging its tip in my open wound, causing more of my blood to flow from me with ease. Dropping the knife after, I cup the blood with my hand letting it collect some before I smear a large amount over the Knight’s right knee and yell to him. “Defend them. I will try to help as much as I can.”

He instantly appears as soon as my blood touches his ghostly form. He nods with a note of approval of my sacrificial move. A knight sacrifices himself if needs be to defend the weak. I muster some of my remaining energy and move back to my feet. I still have that knife in my right hand, so I draw my wooden dagger with my left hand.

“Fighting with your wooden toy when I have a sword, very stupid.” Reed declares as he and Mason move forward to attack.

I do what I can do best in this state. Fall. When Reed swings his sword in an arc towards cleaving my head from my neck, I drop to the floor with all my might, sending my knife into his left foot through his footwear. He instantly releases a throat ripping roar of pain and anger that resounds throughout the tavern causing Callie and Katy to cower more behind a over turned table in the fireplace, while the Lady in Green stands resolute behind the cover watching with the blade I gave her firmly in grip.

His screams enable me with an inner resolve to quiet him with a swift death, by moving the special tab on the hilt of my wooden dagger, causing the fake wood blade to fall off a ten inch long serpentine thin blade that is hidden inside the wood casing posing as a wooden blade. I spin inside his sword reach as I stand; I thrust the newly revealed blade into his neck, sending him down to the floor dead with a frozen scream locked upon his face and me toppling atop him. With screaming muscles and misting blood flowing from my side I stand as fast as I can so I can watch the action to my left.

The knight also does as well as I did if not better. While I used moves of desperation, the Knight uses form and technique that of years of training can only give you. He feigns a thrust, luring Mason to parry with a cross arc, which the Knight wearing plate armor intercepts by moving forward to catch the blade under his left arm and pins the blade to his side. The edge of Mason’s trapped blade rip into the ghost formed armor while it is pinned under his arm, causing a pieces of the Knight to tear away. He is taking damage but not enough to harm his soul for now. Taking more blows might be another matter entirely.

Then with a quick slice with his blade as he releases Mason’s blade from under his arm with an arm throw, he drags the edge of his sword across the man’s chest, peeling flesh and skin and rendering a mortal wound. Mason falls to the ground bleeding like a ruptured wineskin and is dead in mere seconds.

John Thatcher is awe struck from the developments he witnessed. He raises his sword like he is going to press us both in attack, then he halts suddenly as to rethink his plan. I did not give him a chance to think if he could take us. The blood on the Knight would fade soon and it would just be me, a man barely clinging to consciousness and that will be a foe, John Thatcher will easily defeat.

I right my posture to a full upright and firmly bark an offer to him, hoping that he will overlook my wound that will cause me to fall over soon and fade into shock.

“Go now yourself. Run. You have lost. Is your live worth what you came to get? Do the mathematics. You want to live and these lovely ladies are not worth dying over. I obviously think they are. You do not. GO! Before we---”

He just turns and runs out the door, just as I hoped he would. Not soon after Thatcher takes off the knight winks out from sight again. That is cutting it close. I fall to my knees then slump over on to my back. My weapons fall clanging on the ground after I can’t hold them any longer. I can hear the ladies trying to talk to me from behind me. The Lady in Green then appears hovering over my face. I can finally see something of her. Red curls lay hidden underneath her fine green embroidered cloak. I can even see a hint of the blue green color of the Mediterranean Sea in her eyes. Her eyes have tears pooling in the corners. Compassion and gratitude is sparkling like Chinese fireworks across the blue green iris with twinkles of light.

Breathing in a very hard breath through my nose, I smell honey and milk with a hint of lilac coming from the Lady in Green. I think I hear the word Hero said aloud. I did not feel like a hero. A hero gets the girl while defeating his foes without a scratch. That is at least the way all the stories and poems have it written. I have serious wounds and no girl to get. I do have three ladies next to me, the lady in Green ripping my cloak and applying pressure to my wound, the young Katy with tears in her eyes sobbing over my condition, and finally Callie, the Queen of the Tavern, franticly yelling outside the tavern in the street for help at the top of her lungs.

I am not a hero for the stories, but I did keep my promise. I removed Katy from a life that her mother led prior. So perhaps I should get something. Laughing inside my head, I think of what Robert would bellow to me if he was here. “Kiss the damn girl, Liam, or I might take you for a priest.” That is definitely what he would say.

Am I a priest? Have I cloistered myself from contact from women? Thinking on this briefly I conclude that I have removed myself from most any contact to the living at all. Save for my position as Caretaker and all that it requires of me, I only am around apparitions and phantoms I see, real or mentally created by my own dreams. The eyes of my family haunt me. They haunt me because I allow my grief and guilt to punch holes in my will to communicate with anyone else. Fear is the weapon they wield and I have given in to it every time. I will not any longer yield to this fear I create for myself. I will try to push my guilt and grief to the side for now on.

This may be the end or perhaps this will have some storybook ending and I will live to see another day. If I do not see the next day I will at least know I lived fully without fear, guilt, and grief in my last minutes alive. If I live then I will have to take it a day at a time.

The lady in Green moves closer to my face checking my eyes, it is then when I summon the last amount of energy I have left. I grab her with my hands as sweetly as I can and pull her down into a kiss. She is full of surprise of course at my actions and tries to pull away slightly. I hold firmly with my lip lock trying to give what might be my last impression to anyone, a first impression that she might forever remember.

Then she returns the kiss. She more than relents against my hold on her and simply embraces it and melts into me. I feel her arms move behind my neck cradling it to support me. Is it for pity? Or is it my blood loss haze that is making me hallucinate that she returning the kiss. I am not sure, but what I am sure of is how it feels.

Her hunter’s bow lips are sweet, hungry little fires of sensation, and I feel the fiery tingling kiss all the way to my toes. It is like what I imagine riding a lightning bolt will be like, a crazy and exhilarating good ride. For what I think is forever our lips are in harmony together, her sensuous smell exciting my draining body into ecstasy.

She releases from her kiss as I do and with what I think is a face of wonderment looking down to me. Is it because she feels the same as I did about the stolen kiss, or is it the boldness of my move? I may never find out. I can feel the unrelenting and unforgiving tide of unconsciousness coming to sweep me away into the black. Away from being awake and with those I protected. Somewhere I think I can hear Robert laughing and yelping, Whoo Hoo, before I am swallowed by the incoming tide where I might see a familiar face waiting for me with a frown and a choice word about being an idiot. The other option is that I wake up in death looking upon the family I let down so long ago. To see their faces again and hear their voices will be pure heaven.
Back to top Go down
The Caretaker

The Caretaker

PostSubject: First Impressions- Epilogue   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night IconbTue Aug 30, 2011 7:28 pm

The story doesn’t end here, but my Caretaker’s case does. I can add some missing pieces to what happens over the next few days from the last time you saw my Caretaker. Oh did I not introduce myself? My name is Jude. Once I was an apostle of the Lord Savior, Jesus of Nazareth. I am the patron saint of lost souls and causes. God through his angels charged me to help the living and the stranded souls still on earth who are in the most desperate need of help.

I created the Caretaker Tower and placed an agent to run it and be able to move and touch the world below. The ghost Robert has been the assistant to the Caretaker for over two hundred years now. Penance for the life he led. On his death he rose to Purgatory with a soul in balance and there he would stay. I offered him a chance to aid those in need and to do right again as he should have in life. He accepted and is bound to the Tower to aid each Caretaker as they come and go.

I am on my seventh Caretaker, and I will have you know he is the best one I have ever had. He is also the only Caretaker I have had that is still mortal. A unique talent was given him by the Lord at birth to be able to perceive the dead. To be able to touch a stuck soul, a ghost, and give it solidity and feeling again is truly a miracle. He has given many souls aid and the guidance to move on from the earthly plane and reside where they belong after death, Heaven or Hell.

A great toll however this Caretaker pays with this ability. He walks a line between the dead and living and loses sight of his own body that is alive. Deep rooted grief and guilt tear at him from within and it saddens me to no end. I have watched over him and will continue to do so.

The events of this day and night have triggered many ripples in the pond of possibilities and it would be short sighted of me to not at least give you a glimpse of what is to come. Take care now and remember humans have free will to make their choices as they see fit. The Lord gave us this gift when he created us. I warn you, do not forget this nor squander it because there are many that wish to take it away from you or even make you think you did not have it.

The Spaniard- 8th of Julius - 2 a.m.

“Lord Ponseca! We were defeated. I am the only survivor.” My underling says with an odd roll of the tongue on the P in my surname; who is a poor excuse for a man, as he hobbles up the gangplank towards me on the deck of my liege’s ship.

“La Joven?” I ask already knowing she is not with him.

“The thief who crushed my knee and broke my nose made off with her. He killed Esteban and Alfonso but I didn’t find out where he went after that.” He informs me.

“I see.” I say brusquely. “The ship leaves for Barcelona as soon as you get off the gangplank.” I add.

“My lord?” He questions with confusion on his face plainly.

“I am returning to speak to our liege, Father Borgia. He will not be happy with the outcome of the night’s events. Count yourself lucky you will not be present to feel his wrath. Stay and gather all you can about this thief. I will return with more men and we will extract the Father’s property from whoever holds her. I expect you to be full of useful information when we return.” I inform to the man.

He nods to me and looks to his knee and touches his nose lightly. “Go to the famous Healing tower this Kingdom brags about. You are an official emissary of our King Ferdinand II and Queen Isabella.” I instruct to him as I hand over a sealed scroll of parchment which is signed on the inside declaring the holder to be an emissary of the Kingdom of Spain.

I then hand him my heavy coin purse full of gold coins of Spain and Solurius. “Take this and use it wisely for your endeavors for the Father. If you are caught doing anything that brings attention to the royal court at home, appropriate methods will be taken to erase all evidence of it.” I say with special underlining stress on the words appropriate and erase.

“Yes, my lord, I will do as ordered.” He says taking the coin purse and steps back down off the gangplank.

“El capitán que vela para el hogar.” I order aloud.

The Lady in Green- 8th of Julius - 11 a.m.

“I am sorry yo…” One of the Bishop’s appointed protectors was trying to say before he noticed my eyes thinning when he almost said too much aloud.

“Milady, do you not trust the people in the room?” He asks with a whisper.

I sit on the side of his bed, which sits in a room of many similar beds inside the Healer’s tower of Solurius. I move down to speak in his ear so not to be overheard by prying ears. The three patients of the Tower are all men. Two of which I have met before and one I have never laid eyes on. This new face looks to be asleep in the bed adjacent to my protector’s but I am not going to risk endangering myself anymore.

“I trust only you and another here in the realm until I am able to present myself in front of the King and Queen.” I sweetly whisper to him.

He nods then moves to speak again; the strain of speaking clearly is taking a lot out of him.

“Lady Celeste, this other you trust here, is one of my companion protectors alive and this is why you count two among your circle of trust?” He asks as blood comes out of his mouth with a single cough after he is done.

“Hush now, Jacque, again you say too much aloud.” I say as I move a curl of hair from his cheek.

“Lady, I was able to save this. I took it from Gustave before we were betrayed by the sailors at the dock.” Jacque informs me while he pulls out a bent and wrinkled parchment from the inside of his tunic.

I take it and look upon the seal of the church that binds the scroll shut. “Is it my proof?” I ask with hope.

“Yes.” He answers after coughing up more blood that coats his once clean blue silk tunic. “I just wish I can see you to the King as we were ordered to by the Bishop. My time here is at an end I think. Time to go with God.” He says with a smile.

“I will imagine you at my side, Sir Vasille, I promise.” I pledge to him as his eyes shut forever. I move over him and kiss him on the head. Next, I stand and move across the room to where lays a man who saved my life a couple times in one night. As I walk down the aisle of beds, I look to the man that is between Jacque and Liam. He appears to be sleeping and his injury is easy to spot by the heavy bandages wrapping his knee and some smaller bandages wrapping around his nose. I did not want to be caught looking at him strangely so I hurry to where Liam is unconscious.

I hover over him and run the images of our kiss in my head. The audacity of him thrills me to my very center. They say they are not sure he will live much longer. They are sending for their Commander to help and they aren’t sure she will arrive in time.

“Liam, thank you. Thank you for everything. I do hope we meet again.” I say in a whisper. I was told many tales as a child. Many of these stories spoke of bold knights saving princess and damsels in distress. I smile at this notion now because when I grew older and reality set upon me revealing these stories to be just that, stories. How funny is it that I was saved and received a kiss? One story mentions a prince waking a princess with a kiss. Should I try to kiss him awake? Would a princess wake a sleeping warrior?

I move to the head of the bed and peer to his sleeping face. I trace a finger down his cheek to under his chin and tip his head slightly. I move down close to his face, my red curls fall from my hood and dance across his cheeks. I press my hungry lips to his and simply place a delicate kiss on his lips. Nothing like our first kiss, but the sensation of a kindling fire grows inside me none the less. I pull away from him and hope that his eyes flicker awake, but all I see is peaceful sleep and the same flat smile he had before I kissed him.

I stand upright and take a long last look over Liam. Now, with Jacque dead, Liam is the only man I trust in the Kingdom. It is long past the time that I present myself before the King and Queen and ask for sanctuary. This parchment should be enough for them to grant it to me. First however, I should get a new dress; this one is torn and soiled from last night’s horrid events. Just thinking about the docks reminds me of that dreadful song the sailors from my home country sang aloud as they hunted me in the streets. Little fish, little green fish, where are you? I shudder as I sing it in my head.

A loud cough breaks my thoughts and turn to the source of the cough. The man from earlier when I was talking to Jacque before he died.

“Perdone, seńora Celeste.” He apologizes with an odd roll over his d in Perdone. “I will turn so you can continue with Liam.” He adds as he flips over in the bed, putting his back to me.

A shiver runs down my spine as I leave the room. There are ears everywhere. Please wake up Liam.

Liam- 10th of Julius - 5 a.m.

“Bloody Hell, just shut up already!” I scream at my younger self as I thrust myself out of unconsciousness into being awake.

“Sir, Sir! Calm down!” a female voice shouts to me.

I shake my head to clear my vision. Blinking a few times first before I scan my surroundings to see where I am. A line of cots or beds line the walls of the inside of this room. A few sleeping patients are in comparable beds like my own.

I glance up to the irate woman franticly calling for assistance. Instinctually I reach for my wound I received however many nights ago. I find it wrapped up in bandages and slightly wet from blood seepage.

“Your wound is healing, sir. You must rest and allow it to heal. Please remain still. I will call for the Duchess to explain to you.” The young woman says.

“Bah!” I exclaim as I toss of the sheet that covers me and stand upright with only a little bit of unsteadiness. Looking down I notice that my clothing is gone and only a thin beige garment hides my loins from view.

“Sir, Sit down at once!” She orders forcibly trying to look away from my mostly naked body. I notice that her eyes dart every now and then just to catch a peek.

A chill instantly floods the room and I see the affects of it on the young woman when she shivers as she stands next to me giving me a stern gaze, uncaring now that I am only wearing the bare essentials. Somewhere in this room a ghost is present and the cold is sign. I turn to look down the row of beds again and spot the culprits. More than twenty ghosts hover and walk the spaces between the beds. Most of them paying no mind to me at all, but some turning their heads and staring at me.

I don’t have time for this. I have to find Katy and Callie. This woman though is going to be a problem. I will have to find a way to distract her so I can make my escape. An idea pops in my head from deep inside my head. It might just work but I don’t want to make a habit at doing it or listening to the pretentious sot my gut feeling is.

“Sir, just get back down on the bed. The Duchess will be here soon and I am sure she will not be in a good mood being awaken this early. So…” She says until I interrupt her with a quick pinch on her rump. After I release my pinch, which is a short one, I turn and walk out the nearest door while she jumps in surprise and yelps aloud before she stands there in disbelief to what I just did. I have to go back to the tavern. I need to find out what happened. I grab some folded clothing on a table near my bed as I run out of the room. As I make my way to a staircase I can hear a shout from behind me.

“Someone stop that man!”

I arrive at the Ales N Tales tavern mayhap an hour later after I left the healing building. I promptly open the door and enter with a brisk pace to my stride. I only have to wait seconds until the chill embraces me and any in the room. A few heads turn to my entrance but after realizing I am not someone they know, they go back to their drinks or meal in front of them.

The chill is brought on by the Knight from our ordeal that took place in this tavern. He strides over to me in his armor and once he gets close enough to me he raises his visor on his great helm.

“Liam, it is good to see you have not died. I have been waiting here day and night for your return. I have to tell you something, sir.” The knight says in a deep resounding voice.

“Sir Knight, I need to know what happened to my charge, the young woman named Katy.” I say as I interrupt the Knight before he can say another thing, while I draw a few strange looks from the patrons in the tavern.

“The young woman with you that night has been taken by the City guard along with you on a stretcher. But Liam, I must tell you something else.” The Knight says adamantly.

“Thank you Sir Knight for everything you have done. Thank you for coming to my aid the other night and thank you for giving the information about Katy.” I tell him with true intentions in my heart.

“My steel will always be available to you sir. I must add one last thing, please.” The Knight insists to me.

“I cannot stay, Sir Knight. I have to find her. I need to make sure she is ok.” I say with a quick nod and turn and run out the door as I hear the Knight calling my name. He will have to wait. I have a promise to make sure I keep.

Katy– 16th of Julius - 8 a.m.

“You will remember everything I taught you, right?” Liam asks me again for the twentieth time.

“Yes, Liam I will. Stop your worrying.” I answer him with a slight annoyance in my voice. “What makes you think that the mother and brother of this dead close friend of yours will buy my story?” I ask.

“The family motto I taught you and the signed scroll you have in your possession will be more than enough proof. His mother loved him dearly and will welcome the only surviving daughter of her eldest son with arms open. This I am certain of.” He passionately expresses to me.

I grip the railing on the ship as a roll in the tide lurches the ship more than my legs accounted for. The journey to England will not be a long one, but I have never been on a ship and I am not looking forward to it. My thoughts turn to my friends. Well, my two friends.

“Liam you are going to find…” I try to say but I am interrupted in mid sentence.

“Yes, I will find her. The dead will not rest until I turn something up. This I vow to you. You are family now.” He says. “Say the family words, Katy, one last time.” He adds

Nunquam irritum iuramentum nostrum.” I say with a clear tone. Never break our oaths, I say to myself.

“Quo honore primum iuramentis nos?” Liam asks soon after I finished the first part in Latin. Whose oaths do we honor first, I translate in my head.

Semper honos familiae primum.” I answer finishing the family motto. Family oaths come first. “Is that to your satisfaction, Liam?” I say with a tease in my voice.

“Yes it does.” He says after a good laugh. “You have to leave the name Katy behind now. Remember you are now Lily Marie Cross, daughter of Henry Robert Cross and Rebecca Mirabelle Cross. Your sister’s name was Sophie Ines Cross and you were born in France.” He adds with a serious look but his eyes seem sad.

“You are sure I can’t stay with you Liam? I will not bother you at all. I promise.” I say with hope and sincerity. I love him. How can I not? He saved my life and let me see my mother once again. I can never repay him for the things he has done for me. “Can I stay and be your daughter? I won’t feel safe without being near you.” I ask with tears welling in the corners of my eyes.

He looks to me with a long look and pauses before saying anything at all. The silence between his eyes and mine is deafening. I hold out hope that he really is going to say yes to my offer, but I know deep inside that I can’t stay. He is a lonely man but I don’t fit into what he needs. His duty, whatever it is, is too important to take him away from it. That is exactly what would happen. He will step down and take care of me and I will not let the troubles he could possibly fix be unattended.

“I wish I could say yes Lily, but I…” he begins to say but I interrupt him making sure he will not have say the words.

“Liam, I know, I just… I just had to ask. Lily Cross. It will be nice to have a family again. Will they treat me well?” I ask.

He takes a long time to answer and in his eyes I can see tenderness and wanting. He really must have cared a lot about his friend’s family.

“Lily would be about your age now if she still lived, a young lady of fourteen.” He says out of the blue not really answering my question. His eyes narrow with focus and look to my eyes with resolution.

“Yes, their household will open their arms to you and treat you as you should be, a Lady.” He answers as he gives me a big hug. “I will find our friend and send her to you. I will not break this oath. Family oaths come first.” He says as he backs down the gangplank towards the dock with a serious look in his green eyes.

I watch him walk off back into the city away from the docks. It was not long ago, that fateful night; he swept me away into the darkness of these very streets and save my life. Now, here I am moving to England, protected by Knights of the church until I reach my new family’s estates. How Liam got the church to protect me I will never know.

I roll my fingers across the sealed parchment roll, playfully circling the signet stamp on the wax. I turn the scroll over in my hand until I can look upon the seal. There pressed into the wax is a great antlered stag leaping in front of an emblazoned sun, the symbol of my new family. How Liam has the signet ring for the family I don’t know. What I do know is that every step I take for now on will be one of true freedom from the grips of the man that killed my mother.

Robert- 20th of Julius – 1 a.m.

“Where the hell is she?” He screams as he trashes a stack of books off a dust riddled tabletop, sending delicate and ancient texts flying across the room and careening into the stone wall of the Tower. He continues his fit of rage by using a longsword as a club and smashes the table in repetition until it finally breaks in the middle and falls in on itself.

“Liam! Please calm down.” I soothingly say to him.

“Not now Robert. I do not want to hear you bleating to me, not one bit!” He rages with his eyes wide with the fires of intense frustration and rage.

“You saved the little girl and guided her mother, Meghan to her afterlife in heaven. I know you made a promise, but give it some time. You will find her. Don’t let it consume you. Don’t make it like Rome two years ago, son.” I try to interject some reason in him.

“Do not call me son, Robert. My father’s name is Richard Edward Cross. You are not him nor will you ever be anything like him!” He snaps at me with barbed words.

“Henry Robert Cross. Bloody Hell! I am not saying that I am your father. Damn it boy! Think a moment and calm down. I am just trying to help.” I say with conflicting emotions brewing in my soul.

“The great and mighty Robert Stephen Cross is telling me to calm down. Did you calm down when you sent our family name into the mud over two hundred years ago? What about our motto. Your damn motto. Semper honos familiae primum!” He moves over to me as he speaks with the words flooding from his mouth. He grabs me and instantly I have substance. His strong grip and the subsequent shove he gives send me to the wall behind me, pinning against it a couple of inches off the floor.

“Where is this belly rage when I want you to have it Henry?” I say as I laugh. “Are you going to keep me hanging in the air all night, kid?” I ask.

He releases me down to the floor and shakes his head with a slight amount of shame. He looks up to me with his green eyes which have a lesser breed of fury in them, then speaks aloud to me.

“Do not call me Henry Robert Cross ever again. That man is dead. He died the very instant his wife and daughters were betrayed by his inability to protect them as a father should to his family. I promised them they would be safe. It was my fault. Family oaths come first! I do not deserve to be a Cross and therefore I am no longer one. I am Liam A. al’Ias or whatever name I choose in whatever Kingdom we end up in.”

I look over my kin, sadness deep in my heart. The more Henry lets go of who he is. The more he becomes more like the spirits he interacts with. He is letting go of life and all of its splendors and its tragedies. He is becoming an empty shell of a man. He sacrifices too much of himself because of our oath. The sacrifices of the family Cross, to sacrifice thy self for or on the cross for family above all else. My only wish is for something or someone to come around and wake the life out of him again. He is the greatest Cross and he has the potential to do far better for the world if he could just come to life again.

“Great, great, great, great, great grandfather I am sorry. You know just as I do. Family is first. You are family and now Katy and Callie are family too. We need to find her.” He says as he pounds lightly on my chest with one of his hands while the other keeps a hold on me.

“We will. The dead will not rest for many nights.” I say with a loud laugh. “Let’s go ruin some eternal sleep!” I add with a sharp wit.

“Indeed.” says my many times great grandson simply. He is the best of my bloodline and much more than I ever was or would have been.

The next glimpse I have for you should only be shown with my point of view. The subject has gone through too much to be able to illustrate her thoughts enough for us to see through her eyes without problems.

Callie- 21st of Julius – 11 p.m.

The loud uproar of laughter in the next room awakens Callie from sleep in the rickety old bed she has been using for many things over the fourteen sunrises. The bed has been her sleep area, a platform for a daily assault of punches to her body, a place to pin her down for so many different men, mostly French sailors, to rape her violently, and finally a place to soak the tears from her eyes.

She barely has the energy to look over to the left, where a grimy and dirty long mirror hangs broken on the wall. The image that she sees each day makes her want to vomit. She would vomit if they fed her more than once a day, but when she does hurl up anything, it is only stomach acid and bile.

Her hair is barely blonde anymore, the two weeks of rape, sweat, dirt, and horrid sleeping arrangements have left her hair tangled, oily, and an utter mess. Caked layers of film coat her hair changing the coloring of the hair to more like a grayish brown. The wretched state of her hair only frames something far worse than how her hair looks.

Her delicate features she once had are gone. Half her face is either red from fresh smacks and hits to it or dark blue and black blotches of bruising from many beatings she received yesterday or the days before this one. Her right eye is closed by the intense swelling of her cheek, leaving a reddish blue mound overlapping her eye. At first glance a strange would think she had been in a fight. She did fight back at first, but that only angered the sailors more and they increased the amount of force used on her.

Her large and plump lips are chapped and bloody with the upper lip being cut right across the middle. She received that cut when she tried to use her teeth to exact a small revenge on one of her attackers. No one since then has tried to put anything near her mouth. The thought of what she did made her smile slightly which brought tiny fires of pain all across her face.

The singing and laughing from the other room reminds her of how she got to be here. “Little fish! Little Fish come back! Little green fish we will find you.” Three drunken French sailors sang into the night.

She was outside the Ales N Tales Tavern, shouting aloud for help. A man Liam, who that night saved hers and her friend’s lives from the possession of her now ex boss, John Thatcher, had taken a bad wound in his side and was quickly fading towards death. She screamed for help over and over until she noticed three male shaped figures run towards her. Once they were close enough she heard their song calling into the night.

“Little fish, little fish, come back to us. Little green fish please swim into our net. We will hold you and squeeze you until your mouth opens. Only then can the night begin!” The three figures sing out in French accented English.

“Can you help me?” Callie shouted to them. “Are you the City watch?” she asked hopefully.

“Ah, little fish not of green but of gold.” One of the men called out as they approached.

“Where is the green fish do you think brothers?” The man in the middle asked his companions.

“HA! Green fish is inside hovering over a dying man. Has our net brought up us two fish to share?” The third man said after he passed Callie and peered into the window of the tavern.

Not liking these men at all, Callie started to back up towards the door of the tavern. She opened her mouth to call out again, but a large rough salty seawater hand wraps around her mouth muffling her cries of alarm.

“Now, now little gold fish do not bring the sharks.” A voice said from behind her.

Then all three of the men turn their heads to the way they came from. It is then Callie hears something too. Metal rhythmic clanking, the sounds of armored men rushing down the street, echoed the street with their oncoming presence.

“The green fish’s protectors are all dead. No one will believe her story now without any proof. She is as good as dead. Let’s just take the gold fish here back with us to share with our fellow sailors. Months of hard work at sea, we need fine reward and she is more than enough to satisfy us.” The sailor by the window puts forth to the group while he grabs Callie’s rear end.

Callie’s eyes widen and she tried to push away from the grip about her mouth, but as she does so the man behind her wraps his other arm around her waist and pulled her tight to his body pinning her to him.

“Now, fish hold still.” The man behind her said.

“Yes, let’s go before the Watch finds us holding her.” The other man said.

Suddenly she was picked up and thrown over the man’s shoulder that was holding her mouth. She let out a scream of help as loud as she could. In between breathes, she spotted another dark silhouette behind her and her captor lurking in the shadows of the buildings. Two perfect female blue eyes stare at her and did nothing to stop the men from grabbing her. She could see a hint of anticipation and relish at the men taking her away in the eyes that watch her from the shadows. Who is this dark woman and why does it seem she is enjoying every minute of my anguish?

She cries out for help again at the top of her lungs, hoping someone, anyone, would come to her aid. Her eyes still stuck on the cold stare from the shadows. She shivered hard from the stare and it was the last thing she remembers from the night. Shortly after she had spotted the woman in the darkness, one of the sailors hit her over the head with something hard, sending her into darkness.

Since then she has been here, a hovel of a building near the wharf. The smells of salt and sea hang in the air like gulls patrolling the docks for a quick bite do all day. The routine for her has been blurred all together, her body and mind numb and paralyzed from the savage debauchery performed on her against her will.

Her gown torn away from her legs up to her waist, leaving only her naked flesh that used to be a light tan. Now her legs were of a collage of blues, blacks, and yellows from various stages of bruising. Most of the bruises come from slaps, punches thrown, or kicks when she doesn’t comply with want they want from her.

Tufts of her hair can be found strewn about the shabby mattress from overly assertive men pulling on her short hair cut when they take her from behind. They just tossed it down wherever, when they were finished with her.

The upper half of her gown still had half of it left, barely hanging off one of her shoulders. The portion that used to swoop down over the right part of her chest was ripped off the first night she had been imprisoned here. Her ample right breast no longer looked like it did before she was kidnapped, a creamy tan. It was similar in coloring now like her legs, save one difference. It has large red hand prints all over it. The places where the men heartlessly throttled their strong grips on her breast and squeezed it to pain levels bordering on ludicrousness were criss-crossed about her breast. Her nipple was taunt, hard, and very dark purple from abuse as well.

She thinks to herself everyday if she deserved the treatment she was getting. To be a throw away toy for violent men would not be the aim for any woman ever and now this is what she was. Was it punishment by God for past crimes she committed?

Liam came for Katy to save her, and rightly so. Callie had long protected that girl, but only out of guilt at first, but love eventually. She holds a grim secret deep in her heart. So deep inside her it is kept, that this ordeal she has been forced into fits right into her guilt’s wheelhouse of self imposed punishment. I deserve it, she says some nights.

Other nights she rages against her captors, but with the state of her heath as it is, she only wiggles some. Some of the men actually thought she was getting into it and were aroused more. She for days now has been slipping in and out of unconsciousness. The mal treatment she has been given over her imprisonment has taken its toll. She has found herself waking from the darkness to be in mid forced coitus more often than not. The sailors didn’t even seem to care that at times they were pushing against a limp body. Do I deserve this, she asks again to herself?

Cries of alarm from the other room broke her from her inner trance. The sounds of metal hitting metal and cries of flesh being torn fill her ears with a small smoldering of hope.

The door creaks opened and Callie carefully and slowly turns her gaze from the mirror to the door. In the doorway stood a man dressed in black and brandished a long sharp sword in one hand.

“Liam?” Callie croaked so quietly the man gave no sign that he heard her words.

“Liam?” She forced with a whisper aloud.

“Not Liam at all.” A new voice dryly said. His voice is very familiar to her and it caused her to shiver inside. Soon, the owner of the familiar voice walked into the room. Clad in fine leather armor with accented pieces for flair, John Thatcher her former boss strolled over to her and ran his hand through what was left of her hair.

“You will tell me everything that you know about this, Liam.” He purred with a malevolent glee.

I tried to shake my head no to answer the bastard, but suddenly his fingers start to wrap themselves about my throat. He slowly started to squeeze my throat harder and harder, waiting for me to answer him.

“You will tell me everything, just like you did with Meghan, so many years ago.” He lunges with a hurtful truth to her heart.

“No” She breathed. “I will never tell you anything again.” Her raspy voice cracks as she adds.

Thatcher laughed until he was interrupted by a hired thug.

“Sir, what do you want us to do with the injured sailors left?” He asked.

Thatcher motions for the man with the sword by the door to come over to the bed. The man sheathed his blade and ripped what was left from her dress right off her broken and battered body. Next he pushed his arms under her body and easily lifted me up and threw her over his shoulder.

“Kill them. The dead speak to no one.” Thatcher tersely ordered.

The man nodded and moved into the next room. Shortly he left the sounds of metal inserting into flesh filled her ears with dread.

“You will make for a very good piece of bait, Callie. That is one for me, Liam. Soon the mathematics will be in my favor.” Thatcher said with a sneer.

“Am I to take her to manor in the country?” The man asked while carrying the frail body of Callie over his shoulder to Thatcher.

“Yes. Take her far from the city and far from the reach of this insolent Liam.” Thatcher answered.

Callie deep inside her head held onto one flicker candlelight flame of hope. Hope on the belief of the words of that John Thatcher just said. She everyday expected Liam to burst in the door and save her and he has not come. She had thought the worse after a week had gone by, he had taken a wound, and perhaps he was dead. Now, she knew he is alive because Thatcher asked her to tell him everything she knew about him.

When life gives you no exits, make one. That is what Liam said when they were cornered. From today on she will start to make her exit from this new hell. She has endured enough punishment for her betrayal of Meghan. She will try to escape herself, but always look for Liam to save the day. She then swore to hold on to the hope that he will burst in to save her just like he saved Katy. Thatcher doesn’t know this and never will by her lips, but when Liam is around, the dead do speak.

I am sorry I can’t show you more. The choices man makes are theirs to make. I am quite certain many more choices will be made by these souls in the days to come. You may be privy to them and you may not. Evil is moving its pawns onto the game board and a new player pulls the strings of many on the board on both sides of it. I have much to think about and have the faith to believe that good will triumph in the end.

The end.
First Impressions.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night   A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night Iconb

Back to top Go down

A Dark Tower is the Candle in the Night
Page 1 of 1